Guide to Literary Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I have the 2007 Guide to Literary Agents by Joanna Masterson. I've always gotten reliable information from it. But I was talking to someone who purchased the 2008 GLA and they said that many of the listings in it were terrible. For the most part, her problem was with finding out the agents didn't accept the genres that the book says they do. I got curious and looked it up on Amazon. The 2008 GLA isn't compiled by Masterson, it's by someone named Chuck Sambuchino. It only has four reviews. Three of them praise the new edition, but speak mostly of quantity as opposed to quality. But the fourth review was terrible.

Amazon.com: Reviews for Guide to Literary Agents 2008 (Guide to Literary Agents): Books: Chuck Sambuchino

What happened? Has anyone else had problems like this? I'd hate to waste money if it's as bad as some people say it is.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
I'd see if your library has it and look through and then sit at one of the computers there and go to agent query and check it with them first before buying it. Hopefully your library will get a copy of it soon. I don't think mine has it yet. Your post makes me want to check though. ;)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I no longer buy GLA. Instead I start with AgentQuery. I also cross-reference with the agent's own site, and their PM page. I google the name just to see what I pull up. Run 'em through Amazon. Finally, if I'm satisfied that they rep what I'm offering and I like them, I vet them through P&E and AW.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I agree with donroc - I found agentquery.com to be far more useful and then googling. There are so many agents blogging now that you have tons of resources - you can even see it they are AAR members. I also can't encourage writers enough to get a subscription to Publishers Marketplace - not only is is invaluable for seeing exactly the hook that sold the project- but you can research sales and see exactly what the agent sold in what genre-

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just disappointed that the quality has suffered so much. It used to be a handy starting off point to begin developing a list of agencies to query. Since joining AW, I've learned so much and have access to so much more info that I don't really think I need it anymore. I just feel really bad for people who are shelling out $20 for something that may be virtually useless based on the quality of previous versions.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, their money would be better spent on the PM subscription. I thoroughly stalk research an agent before submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.