ever see someone who looks exactly like your mc?

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Today I happened to find a pic of someone that looked exactly like my "supporting" female character. It was really spooky; it's dead-on! I'd post it, but I have no place to upload it.

Oh and by the question, I don't mean someone whose physical likeness you based your character on. I mean someone that just happens to look like your fictional character.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I have seen someone who looks just like one of my minor characters. It is a bit strange...I kept wanting to call him the wrong name. :Ssh:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting thought. But no.

Though I generally know my characters very well, I seldom have an exact idea of how they look.

Their physical appearance is not the main thing for me. I know them by what goes on inside them, the way they think, how they act, their gestures and mannerisms and--very importantly--the way they talk.

Which leads me to think that if one of my novels were ever made into a movie, I wouldn't be disappointed in the casting, at least not when it comes to looks.

:hat:

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Which leads me to think that if one of my novels were ever made into a movie, I wouldn't be disappointed in the casting, at least not when it comes to looks.

I don't think I'd care if I was told my novel was being made into a movie either. I'd just ask where to sign. :D

Spiny Norman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shufflingandmuttering.blogspot.com
No. I rarely have a 100% dead on idea of what my MC's look like. The other characters, yeah, but my MC is so... Well, you're inside their head so often looking at the world, and how can a camera take a picture of itself?

Hummingbird

Pen, Paper, Prepared. ...Write!
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, but the cliched reflection is so much fun! ...yeah. I've only used that once, and even then I might cut it. It works well in alot of books, but it is used way too often. o_O

I have a really close idea to what my MC looks like, but it's going to be hard to find a match. Unless you meet someone who loves to buy oddcolored contacts, such as green with a hint of shiny silver and glows like a cat's.

Last edited:

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I have to admit I'm surprised it hasn't happened to anyone who's posted yet.

It happened to me last year. I describe a supporting character as tall, lanky, older, somewhat distinguished, sort of modeled after Donald Sutherland as he looks today. He's also very verbose and loves to talk (and is a retired stage magician). Then while I was at work one day I watched him walk right by me. I nearly freaked out. It turned out he was a contract IT person, and when I engaged him in conversation, he talked my ear off.

allen

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
That hasn't happened to me although yesterday, I was thinking about one of my characters at the moment someone in the office said to someone else:

"Sally Lawrence is on the phone for you."

Sally Lawrence is the name of the character I was thinking about.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I had been writing this novel in one form or another for many years, in which the main character lived in Coney Island, in the shadow of the abandoned Parachute Jump.
One day I was in Coney Island, visiting a cotton candy store, and there he was, behind the counter, my main character in the flesh, although I hadn't had a clear picture of him until the day I saw him.

When the book came out, I described him to the art director, who captured him perfectly on the cover.

As if in psychic repayment to this fictional moment, I once got a call from someone complaining that he'd been featured in the photo on the cover of my then ten years out of print non-fiction book--and now he wanted payment.

Another time I was sitting behind someone on a train and was so taken by his appearance that I copied down his every feature and used it to describe a subsidiary character in my latest book.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
There are no cats in the Office Party and the streets are paved with che-ese!

Wraith

The demon in your inkwell.
Registered
Reaction score
That's freaky, seun!

I don't know exactly what my characters look like either. And in spite of that, when I try to draw them I get them wrong :D I go by attitude and expressions and general traits when I see a character in my head - and they're often too strange to meet in real life.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I have a character that I created years ago, knowing I'd want to write a romance with him in it eventually. I started working on it, and about halfway through the first draft, HBO aired the series "Band of Brothers." I took one look at Damien Lewis and said, "Holy $hit, that's Cayden Spalding." It was eerie, because i'd never seen this actor in anything before, but I'll be damned if he didn't have just the look I'd always pictured when I was writing Cayden.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
why was this topic put into a new forum? i'm confused.
Sometimes when a thread is slightly off topic for a particular forum, it gets moved here, to Office Party. But that's okay, 'cause this is where all of the FUN threads take place, and where all of the cool members hang out. :)

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
All of my characters have actor/actress counterparts. :)
i.e.
My male MC is aussie actor Paul Leyden

normal_Leyden024.jpg

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
My wife and I are always on the lookout for real-life people who look like characters from my books. I've found a few of them at Six Flags (normal patrons, not people in costumes, just to clarify).

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when a thread is slightly off topic for a particular forum, it gets moved here, to Office Party. But that's okay, 'cause this is where all of the FUN threads take place, and where all of the cool members hang out. :)

It wasn't off the topic of writing at all. I think the new mod is a little strict about that.

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
Hi,
I've seen the dead husband of my main female character in a city near me. He's dead all the way through the book, but he is thought and talked about the whole way through, there are photographs of him everywhere too and his personality shines though the story. He was a good guy and I had him pictured in my mind, right down to the kind of glasses he wore.
Then one day, I'm sat outside of a Pret a manger café in Reading and low and behold, David was sitting there holding a baby! He had the same colour hair, same build and everything that belonged to my dead guy. Spooky or what, I couldn't keep my eyes off of him.

Elodie

Last edited: