Mention a series?

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I've seen this debated plenty of times, but I want to bring it up again.

I recently ran across this in agent Kristin Nelson's blog. It is a quote from a query letter for a novel that she later sold.

What happens next to Charlie, her career and her future with a dishy professor? I'm currently working on the next in the series, FACE TIME, where Charlie contemplates cosmetic surgery to stave off on-the-air aging, and uncovers a series of murders in a luxury hospital. Hank’s letting me know, in a fun way, that this work is the first in a series. I like it.

Now needless to say I'm more impressed with an agent saying that she likes to hear about more novels in the works than when other authors tell me I shouldn't. But I dont know if all agents feel the same way, probably not. So I'd like more imput here.

When I posted my query letter draft I'm getting a lot of "no no! don't say that!" Should I mention additional works in a series or no?

Thanks. :)

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
It works for me like the example you gave but most IMHO are turn offs.
Wait until an agent requests your work and discusses representation.
Let me put it like this: It wouldn't make an agent offer if they weren't going to already -- it's more likely to turn them off...

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Well, not mentioning it is probably safer although I think if I were an agent I'd want to know if the person I was thinking of representing was going to do more work--which just goes to show I'm not an agent.

One other question, ORION or someone. I have two novels at publishers. I wouldn't normally mention unpublished works in a query, but mentioning them would show that it's not my first novel which might be information an agent would be interested in. Would it be good to say something like:

I have two other novels under consideration at publishers...

Or should I just not say anything which is what I did in my current version of the query in which I only mention my published short stories.

Last edited:

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Hey check out Nathan's blog - he talks about it and says he likes a nice discrete mention- He's an agent - listen to him...

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Ann Crispin and I discussed this in her "How to get an Agent" workshop at Capclave this past weekend.

We both suggested to the attendees that a brief mention that you have other works under development isn't a bad thing (shows the agent you're more than just a one-trick pony), but depending on how tight for space your query letter is, it's not an "I must have it in there" piece.

However, in that same vein, pitching "THE first book of a trilogy" was less desireable, especially if it's a trilogy where the first book ends in a cliffhanger. While The Trilogy seems to be a staple of SF/F writing, what happens if book one sells but your numbers don't generate enough interest for books two and three? That might make an agent less interested, especially if you have no track record. There are a number of authors I enjoy who seem to have a first book and then a trilogy based in the same world that follows later.

Agents (and publishers) seem like series. They seem less desirous of trilogies, at least up front.

Again, as with all comments on this board, YMMV.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the "series" mention, I believe, was a big part of selling my agent on my latest project. If the writing is good and strong - there is no reason to think someone might be turned off by a series. You have to think in an agent's terms . . . more books, equals more money.

Of course, if you say "This is a series. It's the next Harry Potter." that's a big no, no." I usually say "I have considered making this a series in the future." In that case, if they like it, they will mention the series again. I started out with a series of three, my agent turned it into a series of 11!

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
I like the "I have considered making this into a series" comment. I think trilogies are becoming less popular even in fantasy--my own genre. And series abound. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.

About the other novel question... Anyone? Publishers have the full mss of both novels, but you know that there is no way of knowing how long it will take to get an answer one way or the other. So I'm up in the air whether to mention them or not.

Begbie

Quite a character
Registered
Reaction score
My agent, too, was excited that it was a series. I don't think it was the main selling point for her, but it was definitely a plus. I'd mention it briefly.

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
I haven't gotten any acceptances yet, but here's what I've been doing...

I've written and edited the first book of a series, and am outlining book two at the moment. I've sent about ten queries, and am gearing up to send more after completing some major editing since the last round.

In researching agents, I look to see if they are specifically looking for series submission, or if they have made any mention of how they feel about series works. If they seem negative about it, or make no mention at all, I pitch the book as a stand alone, which I think it does nicely. If I have found some mention of an agent either wanting a series, or being positive about being queried on new series, I've been slipping in a discrete mention that it is the first book in a series.

I've also pitched the book at a writer's conference as well, and did not mention series unless specifically asked by the person I was pitching to. Those who asked seemed to be genuinely interested, and I got requests for partials from them all. They all eventually passed, but had nice things to say about it, so I don't think it mattered one bit.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
JR, I'm not sure I understand what novel question your trying to ask . . . will you type it up in another post?

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I usually put, "blah blah blah with series potential." I mean, I have the 2nd book nearly done and the third as well, but I don't want to go overboard because I'm a nobody and they don't know if my writing/story is good enough to warrant one book let alone several. :) Btw, if saying this in a query is bad, someone with more experience please smack me upside the head. Thanks. :)