PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if you've had too much coffee?

rhymegirl
10-18-2007, 02:28 AM
So, I drank a lot of coffee today so I could stay alert and awake to write my three articles that are due by Friday.

But now I feel all shakey. I will probably never get to sleep tonight.

Ever over-dose on caffeine?

JoNightshade
10-18-2007, 02:28 AM
My friend's boyfriend did a science experiment on this one year. He gave caffeine pills to people and observed the results.

Not pretty.

melaniehoo
10-18-2007, 02:32 AM
We had to take my husband to the hospital for what we thought could be a heart attack or a clot in his brain. They did tons of tests, including a spinal tap, and finally decided he was drinking too much coffee. It was very scary.

Please be careful! Try peppermint tea if you need something hot - the mintiness perks you up sans caffeine. (at least for me)

rhymegirl
10-18-2007, 02:50 AM
We had to take my husband to the hospital for what we thought could be a heart attack or a clot in his brain. They did tons of tests, including a spinal tap, and finally decided he was drinking too much coffee. It was very scary.

Please be careful! Try peppermint tea if you need something hot - the mintiness perks you up sans caffeine. (at least for me)

Now you tell me.

Well, I've stopped drinking coffee. Just water from now on.

kristie911
10-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I just feel kind of sick to my stomach and then a couple hours later, as it starts to wear off, I get a nasty headache. That's why I try to avoid caffeine, but I had a huge cup of coffee this morning because I haven't been sleeping and I needed to be alert.

I should have known better...I still have a headache.

melaniehoo
10-18-2007, 03:04 AM
I have one cup in the morning then mostly water or juice the rest of the day. I do break out the good stuff (wine) at night but that doesn't have caffeine. :)

jennifer75
10-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Hey all I'm on week 3 of DECAF! Can you believe it!!!!!!!!!

rugcat
10-18-2007, 03:12 AM
I donít know maybe if you find yourself going off on tangents hey guess what tangent is a funny word like tangelo which is like an orange which is my favorite color and by the way theres no word that rhymes with orange except for maybe silver . . .

Azraelsbane
10-18-2007, 03:18 AM
I drink anywhere from 3-12 Diet Dr. Peppers a day. When I'm on the high end I'm very jittery and my hands shake a lot. Strangely enough, I do tend to be more focused on my writing. Go figure. However, afterwards I get not only a physical but also a mental low. I need more caffeine or I get depressed. It's a vicious cycle, although granted I might just need meds. ;)

rhymegirl
10-18-2007, 03:19 AM
I don’t know maybe if you find yourself going off on tangents hey guess what tangent is a funny word like tangelo which is like an orange which is my favorite color and by the way theres no word that rhymes with orange except for maybe silver . . .

Oh you mean when you write run-on sentences like this that just go on and on and on and by the way orange rhymes with door hinge, two words, but what the heck and yes that is how I feel, rugcat, all revved up, oh god, can't stop, boucning off the walls, my husband better watch out, I have an idea i could take one of those little white pills I have, a tranquilizer, that might do it, whew....

bluejester12
10-18-2007, 03:32 AM
If you reach 100 cups, you get superpowers as Futurama shows us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o9HbP6-P1k

Carole
10-18-2007, 05:01 AM
Kathy, I used to drink a full pot by myself every day. One day out of the blue it made me jittery instead of alert. If you eat something and have only one or two cups, it isn't as taxing on the nerves. :)

Also, overdosing on caffeine without being active seems to make it worse on me. If I am up and about, it seems like my body processes it much better than if I'm not.

Tornadoboy
10-18-2007, 05:12 AM
Are you kidding? You can NEVER have enough coffee! :D
I'm clinically dead in the morning until I've had my 2nd cup!

Sunkissed27f
10-18-2007, 05:25 AM
Ummm .........how do I know?
When I talk like an auctioneer and I type like a 3 year old.
And I have to make weewee a lot!!

DeborahM
10-18-2007, 05:40 AM
My car cannot pass a Starbucks without turning in, so I have to fight the steering wheel to keep going stright...at least until I finish the one I have and find the next Starbucks!! Kidding. I only allow myself one a day along with the 2 cups of coffee in the morning, then it's water the rest of the day.

kristie911
10-18-2007, 05:48 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that some Starbucks coffee has over 500 milligrams of caffeine in them. That's like 3 days worth of caffeine! Yikes.

But damn, that stuff is good! :D

ORION
10-18-2007, 05:50 AM
You never know.

DeborahM
10-18-2007, 05:53 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that some Starbucks coffee has over 500 milligrams of caffeine in them. That's like 3 days worth of caffeine! Yikes.

But damn, that stuff is good! :D

AMEN!

seun
10-18-2007, 12:32 PM
TOO much coffee?

Nope. Can't translate that one.

ErylRavenwell
10-18-2007, 12:48 PM
I'll feel like I want to puke, and strangely languorous and sleepy as well. The day after I'll develop a strong aversion to caffeine and start drinking tea instead for a month or so.

rhymegirl
10-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, I managed to get some sleep. But no more overdosing on coffee today. I'll have to figure out another way to stay alert.

Jersey Chick
10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I get nauseous, and shaky like you wouldn't believe. I pee a lot and get very thirsty. Then I crash. It's sooo not pretty. I also used to drink a pot of coffee a day (and I'd be like my daughter's hamster on her wheel - a thousand miles an hour), but now I'm down to about two cups. Can't give them up. I'm a caffeine junkie - without it I get the headache from hell and become a beeyotch on wheels! :D

Bmwhtly
10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
So, I drank a lot of coffee today so I could stay alert and awake to write my three articles that are due by Friday.

Ever over-dose on caffeine?Yup, you feel shakey, a little lightheaded and there's a peculiar feeling in your stomachy bits.

I get that a fair bit, probably about twice a week. Don't judge me! The office has free coffee.

The solution is to eat something.

tjwriter
10-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Usually when I'm starting to head into the land of Too Much Coffee, it starts tasting odd. Then I know it's time to switch to water.

I drink a ton of coffee, but I very rarely feel like I'm overdoing it. I guess I'm used to it.

Jaycinth
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
...only an alien would think there is something like too much coffee...

rhymegirl
10-18-2007, 07:46 PM
...only an alien would think there is something like too much coffee...

I am an alien, Jay. Thank you for telling the world now. :)

Jaycinth
10-18-2007, 07:56 PM
You are welcome.

Can I tell them the sunflower is actually Emperor Button, now???

jennifer75
10-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Yea, I've been overdosing on coffee for the last 15 years. :)

When I had my first ever real coffee shop cappuccino, it had way too many shots, I think 2 or something, I was flyin high.

Now a days, if I get Starbucks or CB and have more than a half a shot, I'm bouncing.

So I stuck with the regular drip coffee with lots of cream for years.

My gut was torn to hell, sleep sucked because I wasnt "sleeping" I was simply passing out. Oh wait that might have been the liquor...

Anywho, I stopped drinking coffee a year ago for a month and FELT FABULOUS! I was sleeping normally, I was dreaming! I hadn't done that in a while! I felt great waking up in the morning, ready to face anything - even you Rich - and then one day craved a cup and broke down and got one.

Today, I am on week 3 of no caffein. I'm drinking decaf but still have headaches - those mild dull ones (so really it could be caused by something else - tooth or vision, work?) But, my stomache is no longer reaking havoc on me, vice versa. I can eat again.

That's how, in a nutshell, I knew I'd had way too much coffee. But you probably meant in one sitting, hah?

:)

sassandgroove
10-18-2007, 08:47 PM
I need my coffee.

I know I have had too much when I feel all shakey, then crash and feel yucky. Ben is right, eat something, but even with that the yuck stays.

I've noticed that coffee in the morning just brings me to 'normal' but when I have coffee in the afternoon I get hyper. I started cutting caffiene off around 4pm or earlier and I have found it is easier to sleep. Caffeine stays in your system for several hours. But I can't quit. I've tried and it isn't pretty. I sometimes fear the day will come when I have to. Hopefully it will be good, as in preganancy, not bad, like diabetes or something. I have had heartburn for a month and if it weren't for that Folgers Simply Smooth, I would have had to quit coffee. I wrote to them to thank them. I drink one to two 4 cup pots of coffee a day. Is that a lot?

JLCwrites
10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Regular coffee makes me very ill. It has too much caffeine. I am very sensitive to caffeine, and I can't have any six hours before bed time. So I mainly stick to small amounts of chocolate, or soda when I need a boost.

brokenfingers
10-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm a serious coffeholic. I've been drinking it since I was six. While I only drink about a half-a-cup in the summer months (unless i'm home all day) I'll usually drink at least 3-4 20 oz cups in a day.

The only time I have a problem is if I drink it without eating in the morning and sit around and not actually do anything active. Then I get irritable and have to use the bathroom a lot.

I can even sleep after drinking coffee.

But besides coffee, the only thing I drink is water. No soda at all unless I'm at a fast food place with one of the kids.

dobiwon
10-18-2007, 09:25 PM
I must have a wierd metabolism, because caffeine doesn't make me jittery or even keep me awake. Sometimes I even like a good strong cup of coffee before I go to bed. Usually I don't have it at night, because the diuretic effects of caffeine are especially potent to me, and I've learned to like sleeping through the night.

My taste buds must be off too, because I like the flavor of both regular and decaf coffee. As a matter of fact, they both taste the same to me (like I suspect they do to almost everyone who doesn't know they're drinking decaf--no flaming retributions from those of you who really CAN tell the difference--I said ALMOST everyone--not you (you know who you are :) ).

Just a question: do those of you who get jumpy and/or sick from too much coffee drink it black, or do you load it up with sugar? or artificial sweetner?

(For me, black and strong's the only way to go.)

rhymegirl
10-18-2007, 09:36 PM
and have to use the bathroom a lot.

Yes, a major drawback to drinking too much coffee. Possibly why I have those 'can't find a bathroom' dreams. When I wake up I have to RACE to the bathroom!

Just a question: do those of you who get jumpy and/or sick from too much coffee drink it black, or do you load it up with sugar? or artificial sweetner?
(For me, black and strong's the only way to go.)

Oh no, I do not like it black. I've tried to switch from cream to milk. My personal trainer won't let me use sugar. If he's reading this thread, he will probably yell at me for drinking so much coffee.

jennifer75
10-18-2007, 09:43 PM
But I can't quit. I've tried and it isn't pretty.

Sass...can u believe I quit coffee AND started Atkins AT THE SAME TIME! Now that was a nightmare.

sassandgroove
10-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Dobiwan,

I don't taste a diff b/w reg and decaf. There are people who can? I use Silk Plain Soymilk and Equal. At work I use non dairy creamer and equal. I don't usually get shaky, but when I do it is at work.

Once when I was younger, I had gotten this iced mocha thing from 7/11, that was in one of those machines that is constantly mixing the ice mixture, you know. Probably loaded with sugar. I drank it before going to a bible study. Outgoing as I am I ususally shy away from praying outloud and reading scritpture, that kind of thing, but that day I ws volunteering for everything. I could barely sit still. It doesn't come across in writing, but let me tell you it was something.

Jen, how did Atkins work out for you? HOw is going w/o caffeine working out?

Now excuse me, I have to go warm up my coffee in the microwave.

davids
10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
How do you know if you've had too much coffee?

Huh? whad ya say-who that-stop-oh alright go ahead-huh? Me alright no don't bother-huh? Ok alright stop,no er start-er huh whad ya say-oh alright sorry be right back-sorry whad ya say-er- no I dint-er alright if you say so-um-ok-huh-no no caffeine in chocolate-huh well a bit-er-um-alright wad ya say? Who said dat-me? Oh-um-sorry-gotta go-I guess-um-well I'm not sure but I-er-um'll try-luv and er whad ya say?

jennifer75
10-18-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, I was having horrible stomach aches which I thought were stress related - and they were but were helped by all the caffein. So I cut it out with the exception of my Sunday cup-a-joe which I can't go without and I haven't had the stomach aches at all. And well, I've been able to hold my food in (TMI?).

As for the headaches, I'm not sure if there is an underlying cause (I've got a bad root canal, and dry eyes from contacts and a testy 5 year old all working against me) but I've had a mild headache for about a month now. :)

I am sleeping sound - and dreaming every night. I've heard dreams come back to those who give the stuff up. Crazy heh?

I'm still drinking decaf at work, so I get my warm sweet cup of something. However, I'm considering giving that up too and hopping over to the herbal teas and such.

Anybody got any advice???

melaniehoo
10-18-2007, 10:49 PM
watch out you don't get tea with caffeine by accident!

sassandgroove
10-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I am sleeping sound - and dreaming every night. I've heard dreams come back to those who give the stuff up. Crazy heh? Well, that's why I don't have any later in the day. I dream rather vividly.

totidem_verbis
10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
I know I've had too much caffeine when my heart races but my body is physically exhausted. Really not a pleasant feeling so I went caffeine free a couple years ago.

Thanks for this thread. I've been tempted to fall off the wagon and take a coffee but now I don't think I will.

BardSkye
10-19-2007, 01:51 AM
There's such a thing as too much coffee?

rhymegirl
10-19-2007, 03:40 AM
I know I've had too much caffeine when my heart races but my body is physically exhausted. Really not a pleasant feeling so I went caffeine free a couple years ago.

The truth is I am not even supposed to have caffeine. I have high blood pressure and caffeine makes it even higher. My heart starts racing, too, when I've had too much coffee.

Thanks for this thread. I've been tempted to fall off the wagon and take a coffee but now I don't think I will.

You're welcome.

Angie
10-19-2007, 03:51 AM
Ways to stay awake without caffeine:

1. Snack on crunchy veggies. Carrots are great; easy to take along to work, and you can eat all you want without side effects.

2. Get up. If you have a job that involves a lot of sitting in front of a computer or on a phone, that alone can make you drowsy. As much as work allows, get up and walk around; it gets the blood flowing to the brain again.

3. Eat light. Have a light lunch. And (again, if work allows) eat a light snack at each break--reference number one above. Eating a big lunch makes you very drowsy in the afternoon.

Just a few things I learned working graveyard shifts. :D

davids
10-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Yes, a major drawback to drinking too much coffee. Possibly why I have those 'can't find a bathroom' dreams. When I wake up I have to RACE to the bathroom!

Oh no, I do not like it black. I've tried to switch from cream to milk. My personal trainer won't let me use sugar. If he's reading this thread, he will probably yell at me for drinking so much coffee.

I thought I told you to drink green tea!!!!

Actually in my post of course I was but jestipating. Coffee of the Arabic kind is preferable and has less caffeine then your normal house brands-the longer it is roasted the darker and stronger it tastes yet has less caffeine which like everything in life is just fine if you do not over indulge which most do hence the jitters and the withdrawal.

rhymegirl
10-19-2007, 04:24 AM
I thought I told you to drink green tea!!!!

Actually in my post of course I was but jestipating. Coffee of the Arabic kind is preferable and has less caffeine then your normal house brands-the longer it is roasted the darker and stronger it tastes yet has less caffeine which like everything in life is just fine if you do not over indulge which most do hence the jitters and the withdrawal.

I'm afraid I've been bad, Dave.

Too much work to do, not enough time in the day, no help from my family, so what did I do? I resorted to caffeine to keep me alert and functioning.

Well that was yesterday. Today I've been tired all day. And my work still isn't done yet!!

Angie
10-19-2007, 04:26 AM
I also can't stress enough the benefits of a short nap. Between 20 to 50 minutes is best.

melaniehoo
10-19-2007, 06:07 AM
Walks after lunch always does wonders for me. Wakes me up, refreshes my head and gets that stomach a rumblin'!

louisgodwin
10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I am an alien, Jay. Thank you for telling the world now. :)

Oh please, as if everyone didn't already know. ;)

Coffee doesn't seem to even have an effect on me anymore. I drink 2 large cups before work every morning, but lately I've noticed even when I don't I can feel virtually no difference in how I function through the day.

rhymegirl
10-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh please, as if everyone didn't already know. ;)

Louis, you better watch your step. Aliens have special powers, ya know.

Coffee doesn't seem to even have an effect on me anymore. I drink 2 large cups before work every morning, but lately I've noticed even when I don't I can feel virtually no difference in how I function through the day.

Hmmmm...that must have been from what we did to you on your last abduction to our spaceship.

davids
10-19-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm afraid I've been bad, Dave.

Too much work to do, not enough time in the day, no help from my family, so what did I do? I resorted to caffeine to keep me alert and functioning.

Well that was yesterday. Today I've been tired all day. And my work still isn't done yet!!

Not really darling-remember what I always tell you-it is not being bad one day that messes things up it is rather the second third and so on days that kinda sorta screw things up-you are doing great and the old lobsterino is still proud as hell that you have accomplished your goals-you are one strong broad-luv Dave

rhymegirl
10-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Not really darling-remember what I always tell you-it is not being bad one day that messes things up it is rather the second third and so on days that kinda sorta screw things up-you are doing great and the old lobsterino is still proud as hell that you have accomplished your goals-you are one strong broad-luv Dave

I'm a strong broad! My personal trainer has spoken. That's right. I am strong, I am invincible. You can bend but never break me...you've done it now, Dave, the I am Woman song coming up....if I have to I can do anything....

Now hide that coffee from me and gimme some water!!!!

reigningcatsndogs
10-19-2007, 06:42 PM
How do you know if you've had too much coffee??

Easy peasy!!!

Just go to Davids first Silly Friday post for the day!! That has coffee overdose written all over it!!!!:D

dobiwon
10-20-2007, 12:39 AM
How do you know if you've had too much coffee?

Huh? whad ya say-who that-stop-oh alright go ahead-huh? Me alright no don't bother-huh? Ok alright stop,no er start-er huh whad ya say-oh alright sorry be right back-sorry whad ya say-er- no I dint-er alright if you say so-um-ok-huh-no no caffeine in chocolate-huh well a bit-er-um-alright wad ya say? Who said dat-me? Oh-um-sorry-gotta go-I guess-um-well I'm not sure but I-er-um'll try-luv and er whad ya say?Dave,
Were you on coffee when you wrote this or not? I can't seem to tell.

ZannaPerry
10-20-2007, 04:40 AM
I looooooooooooove coffee! COFFEEE!!!!!!!!

truelyana
10-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Ever over-dose on caffeine?

You know, coffee doesn't actually do anything to me. It's more like the other way round, I think I end up killing the coffee in the end. :)