How do you know if you've had too much coffee?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I drank a lot of coffee today so I could stay alert and awake to write my three articles that are due by Friday.

But now I feel all shakey. I will probably never get to sleep tonight.

Ever over-dose on caffeine?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
My friend's boyfriend did a science experiment on this one year. He gave caffeine pills to people and observed the results.

Not pretty.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
We had to take my husband to the hospital for what we thought could be a heart attack or a clot in his brain. They did tons of tests, including a spinal tap, and finally decided he was drinking too much coffee. It was very scary.

Please be careful! Try peppermint tea if you need something hot - the mintiness perks you up sans caffeine. (at least for me)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We had to take my husband to the hospital for what we thought could be a heart attack or a clot in his brain. They did tons of tests, including a spinal tap, and finally decided he was drinking too much coffee. It was very scary.

Please be careful! Try peppermint tea if you need something hot - the mintiness perks you up sans caffeine. (at least for me)

Now you tell me.

Well, I've stopped drinking coffee. Just water from now on.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I just feel kind of sick to my stomach and then a couple hours later, as it starts to wear off, I get a nasty headache. That's why I try to avoid caffeine, but I had a huge cup of coffee this morning because I haven't been sleeping and I needed to be alert.

I should have known better...I still have a headache.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I have one cup in the morning then mostly water or juice the rest of the day. I do break out the good stuff (wine) at night but that doesn't have caffeine. :)

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all I'm on week 3 of DECAF! Can you believe it!!!!!!!!!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I don’t know maybe if you find yourself going off on tangents hey guess what tangent is a funny word like tangelo which is like an orange which is my favorite color and by the way theres no word that rhymes with orange except for maybe silver . . .

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I drink anywhere from 3-12 Diet Dr. Peppers a day. When I'm on the high end I'm very jittery and my hands shake a lot. Strangely enough, I do tend to be more focused on my writing. Go figure. However, afterwards I get not only a physical but also a mental low. I need more caffeine or I get depressed. It's a vicious cycle, although granted I might just need meds. ;)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know maybe if you find yourself going off on tangents hey guess what tangent is a funny word like tangelo which is like an orange which is my favorite color and by the way theres no word that rhymes with orange except for maybe silver . . .

Oh you mean when you write run-on sentences like this that just go on and on and on and by the way orange rhymes with door hinge, two words, but what the heck and yes that is how I feel, rugcat, all revved up, oh god, can't stop, boucning off the walls, my husband better watch out, I have an idea i could take one of those little white pills I have, a tranquilizer, that might do it, whew....

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Kathy, I used to drink a full pot by myself every day. One day out of the blue it made me jittery instead of alert. If you eat something and have only one or two cups, it isn't as taxing on the nerves. :)

Also, overdosing on caffeine without being active seems to make it worse on me. If I am up and about, it seems like my body processes it much better than if I'm not.

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
Ummm .........how do I know?
When I talk like an auctioneer and I type like a 3 year old.
And I have to make weewee a lot!!

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
My car cannot pass a Starbucks without turning in, so I have to fight the steering wheel to keep going stright...at least until I finish the one I have and find the next Starbucks!! Kidding. I only allow myself one a day along with the 2 cups of coffee in the morning, then it's water the rest of the day.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I heard on the radio this morning that some Starbucks coffee has over 500 milligrams of caffeine in them. That's like 3 days worth of caffeine! Yikes.

But damn, that stuff is good! :D

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
I'll feel like I want to puke, and strangely languorous and sleepy as well. The day after I'll develop a strong aversion to caffeine and start drinking tea instead for a month or so.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I managed to get some sleep. But no more overdosing on coffee today. I'll have to figure out another way to stay alert.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I get nauseous, and shaky like you wouldn't believe. I pee a lot and get very thirsty. Then I crash. It's sooo not pretty. I also used to drink a pot of coffee a day (and I'd be like my daughter's hamster on her wheel - a thousand miles an hour), but now I'm down to about two cups. Can't give them up. I'm a caffeine junkie - without it I get the headache from hell and become a beeyotch on wheels! :D

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
So, I drank a lot of coffee today so I could stay alert and awake to write my three articles that are due by Friday.

But now I feel all shakey. I will probably never get to sleep tonight.

Ever over-dose on caffeine?
Yup, you feel shakey, a little lightheaded and there's a peculiar feeling in your stomachy bits.

I get that a fair bit, probably about twice a week. Don't judge me! The office has free coffee.

The solution is to eat something.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Usually when I'm starting to head into the land of Too Much Coffee, it starts tasting odd. Then I know it's time to switch to water.

I drink a ton of coffee, but I very rarely feel like I'm overdoing it. I guess I'm used to it.