Question About Agent's Feedabck

Gina M

A Law-Abiding Chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I've done some posting on the SYW earlier in the summer. I spent the summer rewriting my book and rewriting my query letter. With the new format I received a full request from an agent - my first and I was so excited but also tried to be very grounded and realistic.
I've just now heard back from the agent and they're not interested. Some very nice comments were made about my writing and some critiques. My first instinct is to go in and make changes based on one agent's critiques. Clearly this agent will no longer be interested as they didn't suggest I make those changes, they just said no thanks.
So, what's the norm here? Do I rush to make those changes based on one person's feedback or do I keep plugging away looking for someone else?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
First, how successful is this agent? Second, are you sure this isn't just a personalized form rejection? And third, do the comments make sense to you? If you agree with them, then consider making changes, if not, don't.

I think it's rare for an agent to take the time to write something meaningful if she isn't interested. So most rejections are of the copy and paste variety, generalities. If they're inviting you to resubmit, however, the feedback will be much more specific.

Last edited:

Gina M

A Law-Abiding Chicken
Registered
Reaction score
The response was definitely personalized. I've read about the agent through here. The agency is known and they both seem pretty legit.

I tend to think it was more of an overall rejection. My QL interested her but once she got the manuscript and read it, there were things she didn't like.

As this was my first initial positive response, others have been flat out rejections, it's hard not to immediately jump and try and play that pleasing role.

I was just happy that I made it past the query stage and actually had a chance to show my stuff. Now I just have to deal with the rejection and realize it's only one person's opinion.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
I think this is when beta readers (readers NOT writers) can be invaluable. Also Julie is right. Are the comments about characterization? Structure? (Many times first novels tend to go "too fast" the story arc is flattened) is it just not "grabbing" the agent?
If it looks as if too much revision is necessary many agents move on.
Obviously your premise worked. If you still believe your work is ready and you don't agree with the agent keep submitting.
I would however recommend another close reading keeping the agent's comments in mind.
Lottery was rejected by writers house - yet picked up by William Morris Agency this biz is very subjective.
Good luck