Publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkP

Registered
Reaction score
I was speaking with a good friend of mine and he had a book published in 2000. It was a business consulting book with a target audience and they were already speaking across the country to large companies seeking consultation in that area.

He told me they received a large advance and that they just started getting royalties this year.

The reason we were having the conversation is that he was convinced in today's market he would never have gotten a deal like that.

I was just curious what others thought about the change in the marketplace today and if deals like this were still out there for first time authors in that niche.

Thanks

Mark Pitzele
www.bookprintingrevolution.com
www.millcitypress.net

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I was speaking with a good friend of mine and he had a book published in 2000. It was a business consulting book with a target audience and they were already speaking across the country to large companies seeking consultation in that area.

He told me they received a large advance and that they just started getting royalties this year.

The reason we were having the conversation is that he was convinced in today's market he would never have gotten a deal like that.

I was just curious what others thought about the change in the marketplace today and if deals like this were still out there for first time authors in that niche.

Thanks

Mark Pitzele
www.bookprintingrevolution.com
www.millcitypress.net

Advances are figured the same way they always were, which means they're based on roughly how many copies are expected to sell. This is based on how similar books have done in the past. This means your friend may have made it easier to get such an advance today, rather than more difficult. If his book is selling well, this will be taken into account when figuring out the advance for a new book in the same area.

Status
Not open for further replies.