PDA

View Full Version : Six Weeks in the UK

Cassiopeia
10-17-2007, 06:11 AM
Okay so...

I am leaving on the 29th of October for a six week stay in the UK. Tell me what would you do with your time. Where would you go? What are your favourite places to visit?

SpookyWriter
10-17-2007, 06:13 AM
What are your favourite places to visit?The Council office for a place to stay and the job centre for work. Some vacation.

Cassiopeia
10-17-2007, 06:16 AM
The Council office for a place to stay and the job centre for work. Some vacation.

Be there or be square spooky ;)

seun
10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Where are you going to be based? Are you able to travel freely?

aruna
10-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Visit Aruna in Brighton.
(A nice city by the way)

dolores haze
10-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Manuscript room of the British Museum.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Where's the 'All of the Above' option?

And get the Crown Jewels for me while you're there, okay? :D

Inky
10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Orlando's crown jewels.
Guess which I voted for?
I'm so shallow.

Throw a backpack on, stop at Gregg's bakery and pick up a chicken grilled sandwich, a few sweets to die for, and simply blend in for the day. People watch, Crowd watch, take in whatever the day brings you.

'Tis not where you're going that is the journey, but rather the adventure along the way...

Shadow_Ferret
10-17-2007, 04:08 PM
You forgot to include "grumble and complain that I'm living in hell for 6 weeks."

seun
10-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Bear in mind our train service is a little...how shall I put this politely...

It's shit.

Inky
10-17-2007, 04:26 PM
The ScotRail rocks!
No so in England?
Help me along.
Remember I'm blonde.
Speak slowly.
Make charts.
Use lots of pretty-pretty colors.

seun
10-17-2007, 04:31 PM
The ScotRail rocks!
No so in England?
Help me along.
Remember I'm blonde.
Speak slowly.
Make charts.
Use lots of pretty-pretty colors.

Can you ask ScotRail to expand further south? About 300 miles further south? ;)

Inky
10-17-2007, 04:40 PM
I'd have them lay tracks down all the way to Orlando's front door...if I could.
They've asked me to cease writing my request.

Bmwhtly
10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
The ScotRail rocks!No.
It really doesn't.

GNER is the better option. Of course they're limited to the east coast...
But then, there's nothing to see on the west coast apart from Wales.

And the London underground (the trains, not the political movement) are pretty good too.

But, under no circumstances trust the little regional train companies. They're shit.

Oh, and don't use Virgin Trains either; they don't go all the way.

Haggis
10-17-2007, 04:53 PM
The pubs.

The pubs are wonderful. You give them these funny looking coins, and they give you beer in return. It's amazing, really.

And...they are great places to meet the locals, who can, in turn, tell you the best places to visit.

julie thorpe
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
I'd visit Hay-on-Wye and look at all the 35 second-hand bookstores. (Again. It's a whole 6 months since I last did that.) They mailed my finds to us in Germany, no problems. Wonderful. Still reading my way through them.

And I'd visit the Museum of Costume in Bath (but then I write historicals).

Orlando Bloom? Nah. Colin Firth, now . . .

RLSMiller
10-17-2007, 05:10 PM
You may have trouble with the Orlando Bloom thing, seeing as I think he's in LA right now. He had a car crash the other day.

I feel sad that I follow celebrity culture enough to know that.

jodiodi
10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
How about having your way with Orlando Bloom in all the castles you visit?

clockwork
10-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Okay so... I am leaving on the 29th of October for a six week stay in the UK. Tell me what would you do with your time. Where would you go? What are your favourite places to visit?

Come see me in the Lake District. Beautiful countryside and a great jumping-off point for visting Manchetser, Liverpool, Scotland. In my opinion, the Lakes are the most beautiful part of the UK but the west coast of Scotland is a serious rival. South coast of England is gorgeous too.

You forgot to include "grumble and complain that I'm living in hell for 6 weeks."

Six weeks away from cable news, Paris Hilton, George Bush, Wal-Mart and America's Next Top Model in the land of Shakespeare, the Beatles and Churchill? Yeah, sounds like a fuckin' nightmare.

Bear in mind our train service is a little...how shall I put this politely...

It's shit.

No.
It really doesn't.

And the London underground (the trains, not the political movement) are pretty good too.

But, under no circumstances trust the little regional train companies. They're shit.

Oh, and don't use Virgin Trains either; they don't go all the way.

Everyone bangs on about the trains in the UK but I can honestly say I've never had a bad experience myself. My local service, First Northwestern is always minute accurate and the train I get every two months which is a combination of First Northwestern and Virgin trains into London Euston has never screwed up once during the dozen times in the past eighteen months I've used it. But... don't get me started on ticket prices. Do not.

The tube is less reliable but that's more to do with upgrades and construction work than unforseen delays.

Bmwhtly
10-17-2007, 06:30 PM
the Lakes are the most beautiful part of the UK but the west coast of Scotland is a serious rival.And just what's wrong with the east coast?
I remind thee that the east coast includes Edinburgh which is full of Tourists A beautiful city.

the train I get every two months which is a combination of First Northwestern and Virgin trains into London Euston has never screwed up once during the dozen times in the past eighteen months I've used it. I can honestly say I've never had a problem-free journey on a virgin train.
But up here their times are so odd and infrequent that I haven't used them that much.

But... don't get me started on ticket prices. Do not.Ticket prices are not bad IF you book the right ones in advance.

The tube is less reliable but that's more to do with upgrades and construction work than unforseen delays.Again, the two dozen or so times I've been through London, I've never had a problem with the tube. But since the journey's of 7/7, any tube journey where the train gets to it's destination seems great.

seun
10-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Agreed on best way of getting train tickets is to book WAY in advance. Like several lifetimes' in advance.

Shadow_Ferret
10-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Six weeks away from cable news, Paris Hilton, George Bush, Wal-Mart and America's Next Top Model in the land of Shakespeare, the Beatles and Churchill? Yeah, sounds like a fuckin' nightmare.

Someone needs to show you that thing called a channel changer works.

I love Wal-mart.

Just so you know, Churchill isn't in charge anymore. Shakespeare is dead. The Beatles broke up.

clockwork
10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
And just what's wrong with the east coast?
I remind thee that the east coast includes Edinburgh which is full of Tourists A beautiful city.

You're right. I suppose I was talking more of rugged, countryside beauty than historical cities. I thought St. Andrews was great with beaches to rival Perranporth and St. Ives. There's also a fantastic restaurant there called the Doll's House.

Ticket prices are not bad IF you book the right ones in advance.That's true but for the journey I make, you need to book it at least two month's in advance to have any hope of getting it below 75. I usually don't have that much notice.

Again, the two dozen or so times I've been through London, I've never had a problem with the tube. But since the journey's of 7/7, any tube journey where the train gets to it's destination seems great.Don't get me wrong, I love the tube. It's so steady and reliable, they're just doing a lot of construction at the moment which means some lines aren't useable. I had the pleasure of experiencing the Covent Garden tube station on my last trip a couple of weeks ago which is, an "exit only" station until December. They had these very quaint signs up informing passersby the next staion was "just a short walk" away.

Someone needs to show you that thing called a channel changer works.

I love Wal-mart.

Just so you know, Churchill isn't in charge anymore. Shakespeare is dead. The Beatles broke up.

I'm sorry. It was wrong of me to make a smart-ass quip about the country you love. I'll try to be more helpful to the OP in future. :rolleyes:

Shadow_Ferret
10-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm sorry. It was wrong of me to make a smart-ass quip about the country you love. I'll try to be more helpful to the OP in future. :rolleyes:
Quip all you want. Doesn't offend me.

Bmwhtly
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Quip all you want. Doesn't offend me.
I can't say the same.

Shadow_Ferret
10-17-2007, 07:02 PM
I can't say the same.Develop a thicker skin? Or a sense of humor?

maestrowork
10-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Man, I'm so jealous. I spent a few weeks in Europe this summer and had a blast.

It depends on what you're doing in the UK... I would probably travel a lot, see everything. The museums are awesome. Visit Bath and Stonehench. Go to Scotland and Ireland and continental Europe... oh man, I'd have so much fun for six weeks. Take lots of trains... It was lovely to be away from the US for a bit...

DonnaDuck
10-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I lived in London for 6 months. As for what you can do in 6 weeks...let's see. See a football match. Even if it's some chintzy team, it's worth it. I saw a Charleton v. West Brom and you will quickly understand why football is huge overseas. Any game where you need riot control to segregate opposing team fans is a game for me.

If you can't rent a car, bring a butt-load of money because the UK is on Pounds Sterling which is more than double the American dollar (if that's where you're coming from). I never made it up to Scotland because I couldn't afford the freakin' train ticket. Yeah, you can get a decent price going on way but if you want to come back, you're going to have to sell an arm, your first born and half your soul. And taxis are ridiculous. To get across London cost me $180. No flat fees for airport travel for them (like in New York). I like the London Underground ecept for the fact that is closes. Boo. But on the upside of that, that's the reason why they're so clean (which Londoner's think they're not and then I just tell them to go to New York and take the subway and then they'll see just how clean the Tube actually is). If you travel in the Tube a lot, get an Oyster Card. There's a 5 pound cap on travel spending to once you hit that, you won't pay again for the day. Again, no flat fees (like in New York).

The British Museum, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Imperial War Museum, London Dungeon, the major tourist spots are all worth seeing. And have a pub meal. It's the best food you'll have in England.

I found British food overall very bland, lacking in something, some kind of spice or seasoning. As an Italian, they don't use garlic as much as they should! If you can make your own, do it otherwise your tongue will be screaming for something to taste. It's not that the food is bad, some of it is good, but it's just bland. Even the Italian food is lacking, like Olive Garden without the taste. You will never go wrong with Chinese food in London though. The crispy shredded beef is amazing. And if you're a curry person, London is the place to get it if you're not going to India. And like I said, pub food will always satisfy. Although if you can snag me a couple boxes of Multigrain Rice Krispies I'll love you forever!

In Dublin, drink Guinness. It's undeniable that it's better in Dublin than anywhere else. Soda bread is your best friend and get yourself a good bowl of Irish stew and you're good to go. At least you won't be there for St. Pat's. Everything was triple the price for me. Granted Dublin isn't UK but it's close enough. The flight is short.

Outside the major areas, Hadrian's Wall is supposed to be nice (nearer to Scotland), Manchester, Liverpool. If I had a car, I would have driven myself around. The gas is cheaper than the railfare by far.

Don't forget Abbey Road and one of the London Walks. I lived in the Mile/End Whitechapel area and they have a Jack the Ripper walk. I went on a Beatles Walk and it was pretty neat. Stonehenge is cool but bring a heavy jacket. It's freakin' cold in that open plain. And the church in Salisbury is worth seeing as well. If you go to Southampton they have Titanic stuff down there and then much more up in Belfast.

aruna
10-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Like I said... come to Brighton. A great place to be. Vibrant, cosmopolitan atmosphere, the sea, the sea, and only an hour from London (you can get a day saver ticket if you travel after 9).

The Southern trains are great. I've never had a problem with them. I just don't get how come a single ticket costs almost the same as a return.

seun
10-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Visit Bath and Stonehench.

Stonehench? :D

tallus83
10-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Visit www.effingpot.com and learn what not to say. Saves on the embarrasment.

clockwork
10-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Develop a thicker skin? Or a sense of humor?

Hm...

See, I had nooooo idea you were trying to be funny. Perhaps in future you could preface your posts with some sort of disclaimer to let alert the humourless that comedy is imminent. I promise to laugh at whatever you say from now on. :)

Cassiopeia
10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Good morning Aw'ers. ;)

What a great bunch we are! :)

For those of you IN the UK, let's try to do some sort of gathering, shall we? :D Say mid-november if you will?

I do have to stop by Oxford University to see about possible admissions and *winks at OFG* hopefully a scholarship. If that doesn't happen, it's all good.

Seun, first stop is the midlands. I have been to London five times prior but never out into the English countryside.

Aruna, you there past October? :)

Clockwork9, would I dare not visit the Lake District? Say it isn't so. :) Of course I will be there. :)

I will be doing a lot of walking about, riding trains and observing people along with days and days of writing. However, I would really like to get a good feel for the country this time. Born to wander, I have wondered since a teenager what it would be like to live there and have always dreamed of a cottage in the quiet English countryside.

Dreams, you say? Yes, perhaps it's time to fulfill another one. ;)

Kim (getting rather excited and perhaps a bit nervous for the 29th to get here)

Thanks you guys this is a great response. :)

Cassiopeia
10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I found British food overall very bland, lacking in something, some kind of spice or seasoning. As an Italian, they don't use garlic as much as they should! If you can make your own, do it otherwise your tongue will be screaming for something to taste. It's not that the food is bad, some of it is good, but it's just bland. Even the Italian food is lacking, like Olive Garden without the taste.

The Olive Garden??? My grandmother is rolling in her grave right now. I am Italian as well and I find their food just insulting. ;)

I will be renting a spareroom for the duration and cooking for myself as I just lost 24 pounds and I don't care to find them again. ;)

Inky
10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
You may have trouble with the Orlando Bloom thing, seeing as I think he's in LA right now. He had a car crash the other day.

I feel sad that I follow celebrity culture enough to know that.
Don't feel isolated in your shame.
I sent him flowers. I would have been the singing telegram, but Turkey has issues with flying back into their country...and I'm American...not the most popular nationality to be right now...not here, anyway...

maestrowork
10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Pssst, they do speak a foreign language over there.

seun
10-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Note to all people coming to the UK: don't call anyone from Scotland, Ireland (any part) or Wales British. And definitely not English.

Cassiopeia
10-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Note to all people coming to the UK: don't call anyone from Scotland, Ireland (any part) or Wales British. And definitely not English. Yes, I knew that one ;) but thanks for the reminder.

When I say English countryside, I DO mean England. :)

clockwork
10-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Hey Kim,

Fantastic, let's really try to meet up. I don't have as much going on in November so should be no problem. Keep me posted. :)

Cath
10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
On the food front, if you eat in the chain-like stores that pass for a bearable meal in the US, you will be disappointed. But look out for reviews in magazines, AA and Michelin star listings (they aren't all exorbitantly priced), or head for the small, busy, non-chain restaurants and you'll be fine.

DonnaDuck
10-17-2007, 09:00 PM
The Olive Garden??? My grandmother is rolling in her grave right now. I am Italian as well and I find their food just insulting. ;)

I will be renting a spareroom for the duration and cooking for myself as I just lost 24 pounds and I don't care to find them again. ;)

Gah! I knew I should have expanded on that just a little bit. I was insinuating that at the very least Olive Garden had some flavor as opposed to Italian cooking in England. I hate Olive Garden as well. Ick. And Bertucci's. They're about as Italian as Russia but at least they know what seasonings are.

SpookyWriter
10-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Seun, first stop is the midlands. I have been to London five times prior but never out into the English countryside.

Well if you get up to Kettering could you drop off some hot chili peppers to my friend Jody. He's originally from South Africa but now lives in the U.K.

I have wondered since a teenager what it would be like to live there and have always dreamed of a cottage in the quiet English countryside.

I think you'll have stick shock at the price of any real estate in the UK.

If you really want to experience some interesting places then travel to South Gate in London. I lived there and it's alive with all kinds of interesting people. And while you're at it, take a little time to visit Palmers Green. You can catch the tube to either city and do a day trip.

Portsmouth is another interesting city and I believe Dickens was born there. I lived in Milton, which is a suburb of Portsmouth and was there when the fleet left for Iraq. Portsmouth has a lot of interesting history and it's in the South East so they have a whole different attitude about life. Weird to say that people can be so different on such a small island.

If you rent a car then I would suggest travelling the back roads like the A8 from London to Portsmouth. Avoid the major freeways if possible so you can see more of the countryside.

I drove from Portsmouth to Kettering and it only took me a few hours to cross halfway across the country.

Well you should have fun.

clockwork
10-17-2007, 09:57 PM
Gah! I knew I should have expanded on that just a little bit. I was insinuating that at the very least Olive Garden had some flavor as opposed to Italian cooking in England. I hate Olive Garden as well. Ick. And Bertucci's. They're about as Italian as Russia but at least they know what seasonings are.

I think, like anywhere, it depends on where you go. I know of superb Italian restaurants in Britain, run by Italians with great cooking. They can't all be bland. :Shrug:

maestrowork
10-17-2007, 10:00 PM
A good life would be living in London in a posh apartment with weekend trips to France.

Inky
10-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Note to all people coming to the UK: don't call anyone from Scotland, Ireland (any part) or Wales British. And definitely not English.
Aye, laddie, it is more than just a wee bit insultin'!

Inky
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
A good life would be living in London in a posh apartment with weekend trips to France.
Bleh!
Too many people.
The Highlands, with icy lochs, Ben Nevis winds, and a good falcon an' two ferrets ta' hunt with!

Shadow_Ferret
10-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Hm...

See, I had nooooo idea you were trying to be funny.

Ah. You're one of those people.

See, everyone who knows me knows not to take me seriously...

...Unless I start swearing.

clockwork
10-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Duly noted, sir.

NeuroFizz
10-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Get up to St. Andrews, lassie, and jump across the "bay" to give ScarletPeaches a yank. Make St. Andrews one of your target destinations, and go up via Edinbugh, then go across to Glasgow and come back down on that side.

ORION
10-18-2007, 12:40 AM
Look for ads for LOTTERY in the tube!!! It should be just coming out in the UK when you're there!!!!

maestrowork
10-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Bleh!
Too many people.
The Highlands, with icy lochs, Ben Nevis winds, and a good falcon an' two ferrets ta' hunt with!

I'm a city boy, malady. I ain't hunting my own food.

Cassiopeia
10-18-2007, 02:18 AM
On the food front, if you eat in the chain-like stores that pass for a bearable meal in the US, you will be disappointed. But look out for reviews in magazines, AA and Michelin star listings (they aren't all exorbitantly priced), or head for the small, busy, non-chain restaurants and you'll be fine. I really really hate fast food in the US. I don't eat out...period. It just makes me sick so I will be happy to cook and when I do eat out, I will look for a ma and pa restaurant. :) I won't forget your Cadbury.

Gah! I knew I should have expanded on that just a little bit. I was insinuating that at the very least Olive Garden had some flavor as opposed to Italian cooking in England. I hate Olive Garden as well. Ick. And Bertucci's. They're about as Italian as Russia but at least they know what seasonings are. Whew you had me worried. ;)

If you really want to experience some interesting places then travel to South Gate in London. I lived there and it's alive with all kinds of interesting people. And while you're at it, take a little time to visit Palmers Green. You can catch the tube to either city and do a day trip.

Portsmouth is another interesting city and I believe Dickens was born there. I lived in Milton, which is a suburb of Portsmouth and was there when the fleet left for Iraq. Portsmouth has a lot of interesting history and it's in the South East so they have a whole different attitude about life. Weird to say that people can be so different on such a small island.

If you rent a car then I would suggest travelling the back roads like the A8 from London to Portsmouth. Avoid the major freeways if possible so you can see more of the countryside.

I drove from Portsmouth to Kettering and it only took me a few hours to cross halfway across the country.

Well you should have fun. *runs for her map* aha! found Kettering. Funny enough it isn't too far from Northampton.

A good life would be living in London in a posh apartment with weekend trips to France.Indeed, but I love the country life just OUTSIDE the big city so I can have the best of both worlds. ;)

Get up to St. Andrews, lassie, and jump across the "bay" to give ScarletPeaches a yank. Make St. Andrews one of your target destinations, and go up via Edinbugh, then go across to Glasgow and come back down on that side.
Awww....*blushes*

Neruo called me lassie. *giggles like a school girl*

I will just have to do that. Though I am not sure that Scotland is ready for both me AND Scarlet in the same place at once. ;)

zahra
10-18-2007, 02:48 AM
Go to a Bonfire/fireworks party! They'll be around Nov 5, and they'll be on commons and heaths, and open to the gen. pop. Loads of firework fun to celebrate the thwarting of the plot to blow up Parliament. In fact, if you're in England at all, anywhere, around that time, you'll see fireworks without even having to go to a party. In fact, be warned, or you'll be jumping out of your skin every five minutes!

Whee! You're coming to England!

If you come to London, come to Chiswick Mall and see the grand old houses by the river. Or the old silk weavers' houses by Brick Lane. Go to pub theatre. Go to Highgate Cemetery. Try and find a restaurant that does Thanksgiving dinner, or you might be sad....

Cassiopeia
10-18-2007, 02:53 AM
Go to a Bonfire/fireworks party! They'll be around Nov 5, and they'll be on commons and heaths, and open to the gen. pop. Loads of firework fun to celebrate the thwarting of the plot to blow up Parliament. In fact, if you're in England at all, anywhere, around that time, you'll see fireworks without even having to go to a party. In fact, be warned, or you'll be jumping out of your skin every five minutes!

Whee! You're coming to England!

If you come to London, come to Chiswick Mall and see the grand old houses by the river. Or the old silk weavers' houses by Brick Lane. Go to pub theatre. Go to Highgate Cemetery. Try and find a restaurant that does Thanksgiving dinner, or you might be sad.... I understand that in some places in the Midlands they are not having fireworks for some reason now went blank on. I will definitely be coming into London to see the sites just not staying at the hotels there because there are trade shows on and my gosh they want anywhere from 400 - 3800 bucks (american) a night.

As for Thanksgiving, I will be cooking me own dinner and inviting people to join me for a festive meal and sharing what we are all thankful for! Ala Kimmy style. :)

Bo Sullivan
10-18-2007, 03:08 AM
Stonehench? :D

Ha He He! Stonehenge is cool. I read that Merlin the Welsh Wizard put all those stones there, after he had procured their transportation from Ireland! King Arthur's body is meant to have been buried in the church nearby.

Try to visit Hampton Court Palace where King Henry VIII seduced Anne Boleyn and enticed her into marriage; that was after King Henry frightened Cardinal Wolsey into giving Henry his Palace of course. Or did Anne seduce him? Anyway, its a great place to visit and it is in Richmond, Surrey. Take the train from London. You can stay all day. Take a picnic and sit by the River. Don't forget to get lost in King Henry's maze in the gardens. Go on riverboat trip if you can from Hampton Court. Look out for the Peacocks, and don't forget to look in the royal kitchen where you will see Tudor cooks and maids in their role play mode. It is quite expensive at about 16.00 per head (cough!) but well worth it. Wear good walking shoes as the Palace is huge.

Another wonderful place to visit is outside London: Syon House, in Brentford, (nr. Chiswick - if you want to go there take the tube to Turnham Green in Chiswick (District line) - take the 267 bus to Brentford and there you are!) It is connected to the Gunpowder Plot (Guido Fawkes who tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament); (if you like history). The Duke of Northumberland (Henry Percy 9th Earl) was implicated in the Gunpowder Plot in 1605 after his cousin rode to Syon House whilst being pursued by the King's men and he had supper with the Earl. The Earl gave him a meal and a bed for the night but the Earl was then arrested and imprisoned in the Tower of London for 14 years by King James I but he was innocent. His cousin was shot whilst trying to escape. It is owned by the present Duke of Northumberland who visits regularly and it is his London seat. He has another castle in Northumberland called Alnwick castle where Harry Potter was filmed.

Another place to visit whilst in London is the Tower of London and don't forget to look inside the Bloody Tower where Sir Walter Raleigh was held prisoner for almost thirteen years. It is a tiny cell which was later enlarged to include a bedroom upstairs. It is said that Sir Walter burned his second volume of the History of World there in the fire place, before the eyes of his publisher Master Burr, because said Sir Walter "This world is unworthy of it" after being told by Master Burr that his first volume had not sold well.

Sir Walter Raleigh used to keep a little hen house outside and perform his experiments with his friend the Wizard Earl or Henry Percy the Duke of Northumberland. Lords and Ladies came from far and wide to buy Sir Walter Raleigh's elixir which was thought to include quinine (which makes me think of schweppes tonic water.)

Tower of London - Expensive but awesome
Hampton Court - Expensive but awesome
Syon House - Not expensive (lovely tea rooms, rose garden, butterfly house, and garden centre.) equally awesome

There is also Charles Dickens' house near Holborn. Take the tube to holborn cross the road and walk (and ask people where it is). Not far to walk, or take a London cab.

Go to a Sotherby's auction in Bond Street if you can (free). See all the great artworks being sold for millions of pounds. Take the tube to Green Park and ask directions (not far).

Try to go to the Ritz in Green Park, London. Come out of the tube station and look across the road to the Ritz. You can go in there for a drink. It is magnificent in there. A drink will cost you about 5.00 for a Gin and Tonic or thereabouts.

Your can visit the Houses of Parliament. Just go there in the afternoon and join the queue. Take the tube to Westminster (District Line), cross the road and walk along. You can't miss it. You might hear Prime Minister's Question Time with Gordon Brown and Cameron arguing with each other.

I think you can go to the Old Bailey Court (tube St. Paul's (red line)). If you are in a gory mood.

I feel like the London Tourist Board now.

Hope the above helps, but if you don't want to do that, visit South Wales, and in a little town called Merthyr Tydfil you will find a castle called Carfarthfa Castle where the owner of the steelworks lived (Mr Craushaw), a mean and parsimonious man, who erected a clock tower in the town but omitted to put a clock face on the part of the tower that faced the steel works so that the men could not see what time to go home! Also, there are many castles in South Wales. Merlin the Wizard came from Camarthen and I am writing a book about him and King Arthur!

If you want to visit Cardiff Castle it is an excellent day out and Cardiff is well worth a visit (about 8.00 to get in.) The Earl of Bute owned Cardiff Castle and he was once the richest man in the world. Also, he owned Castle Coch which is a fairytale castle up in the mountain side just outside Cardiff, which looks like something out of Walt Disney's Cinderella castle. It is brilliant and he built it for his wife as a special place to take her, but they hardly ever went there, even though he used to keep servants there at all times. (Take the train from Cardiff until you reach Taffs Well and then turn right and walk to the nearest pub (1 minute and ask for a Taxi to Castle Coch.) The artwork in the castle is absolutely brilliant, in the form of decorated walls and the statues of the Three Fates, Clotho, Atropos, and Lachesis who symbolise the three stages of life (birth, youth and old age); above the fireplace in the dining hall. Around the doorway are carvings of birds and their nests in the most delicate manner and decorated ceilings. The castle is Victorian but you would never know!

After you have done all that you can come and visit me for a cup of tea in Merthyr Tydfil! I will take you to Chaplins (named after Charlie Chaplin) for a drink!

Hope the above is helpful, and even if you only chose one on that list I will be pleased to have helped you. If you want to see a portrait of Sir Walter Raleigh (and his son Wat Raleigh who was murdered in Guiana by the Spanish soldiers in 1617), visit the National Portrait Gallery in London.

Barbara

DonnaDuck
10-18-2007, 03:51 AM
Westminster Abbey, almost forgot that one. You can't miss that. Beautiful church and from what I remember, it didn't cost much (although the specifics are blurry).

Hillary
10-18-2007, 07:39 AM
None of the above. I'd go to the "festering shithole" that is Coventry and visit my favoUrite person in the universe... Coincidentally, it's the same person that dubbed Coventry a "festering shithole." I love him. Liek woah.

aruna
10-18-2007, 11:17 AM
I really really hate fast food in the US. I don't eat out...period. It just makes me sick so I will be happy to cook and when I do eat out, I will look for a ma and pa restaurant. :) I won't forget your Cadbury.

I loathe fast food with a deep and enduring loathing.
I love home cooked food, cooked from scratch. There'sthis restauarant in Brighton I walk past on my way to work, it's called Bill's, (http://www.billsproducestore.co.uk/default.asp) and it's heaven on earth. There are loads of really good restauarants in Brighton. It;s that kind of city. Full of creative, unconventional people.

Yes, I'll be there in November mostly, except for the first week and again for a few days later inthe month.

If it;s copuntryside you want, I'll drive you around the South Downs and the Kent countryside. The first time my husband and I drove around Kent we almost fainted at the delightful little storybook villages.

Cassiopeia
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I loathe fast food with a deep and enduring loathing.
I love home cooked food, cooked from scratch. There'sthis restauarant in Brighton I walk past on my way to work, it's called Bill's, (http://www.billsproducestore.co.uk/default.asp) and it's heaven on earth. There are loads of really good restauarants in Brighton. It;s that kind of city. Full of creative, unconventional people.

Yes, I'll be there in November mostly, except for the first week and again for a few days later inthe month.

If it;s copuntryside you want, I'll drive you around the South Downs and the Kent countryside. The first time my husband and I drove around Kent we almost fainted at the delightful little storybook villages. You are such a sweetie! I will see how quickly I get my meetings out of the way and see if I can't meet you in the middle of the month.

*giggles* now this is getting exciting! I get to meet you AND clockwork9. :)

*skips off to bed to dream wonderful dreams*

Cassiopeia
10-18-2007, 11:56 AM
*stops mid skip*

Uh oh...I just realized...I might not have the internet...

*gulps*

I mean...not every single moment I WANT it.

*panics*

*lip quivers*

No AW ...for six weeks???

*freaks out*

seun
10-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Take a picnic and sit by the River.

At this time of year? ;)

aruna
10-18-2007, 12:33 PM
*stops mid skip*

Uh oh...I just realized...I might not have the internet...

*gulps*

I mean...not every single moment I WANT it.

*panics*

*lip quivers*

No AW ...for six weeks???

*freaks out*

Never fear. There are internet cafes all over the place.

Priene
10-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Bring a copy of Dracula, head up to Whitby and read it in the Abbey (http://www.timetravel-britain.com/06/Oct/abbey.shtml) ruins. Especially recommended on foggy days.

seun
10-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Stay off the moors. Stick to the road. And beware the moon.

Priene
10-18-2007, 02:17 PM
And don't come in the snug bar. We eat strangers round 'ere.

Cassiopeia
10-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Bring a copy of Dracula, head up to Whitby and read it in the Abbey (http://www.timetravel-britain.com/06/Oct/abbey.shtml) ruins. Especially recommended on foggy days.

Stay off the moors. Stick to the road. And beware the moon.

And don't come in the snug bar. We eat strangers round 'ere.

*whimpers*

Mommy!

Never fear. There are internet cafes all over the place. Oh whew! Okay, I'm okay then. :)

Bo Sullivan
10-20-2007, 01:21 PM
At this time of year? ;)

We are enjoying an Indian summer!

Kadea
10-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Have a wonderful time Cassio! (but I know I've already told you that!)

truelyana
10-20-2007, 11:16 PM
Good morning Aw'ers. ;)

What a great bunch we are! :)

For those of you IN the UK, let's try to do some sort of gathering, shall we? :D Say mid-november if you will?

I do have to stop by Oxford University to see about possible admissions and *winks at OFG* hopefully a scholarship. If that doesn't happen, it's all good.

Aruna, you there past October? :)

Clockwork9, would I dare not visit the Lake District? Say it isn't so. :) Of course I will be there. :)

I will be doing a lot of walking about, riding trains and observing people along with days and days of writing. However, I would really like to get a good feel for the country this time. Born to wander, I have wondered since a teenager what it would be like to live there and have always dreamed of a cottage in the quiet English countryside.

Dreams, you say? Yes, perhaps it's time to fulfill another one. ;)

Kim (getting rather excited and perhaps a bit nervous for the 29th to get here)

Thanks you guys this is a great response. :)

That's what I was thinking, when I first saw this thread to meet us liked minded living UK writers. :)

I have no suggestions for you to visit, as I know you will create your own experience given your trip. Enjoy your stay :)

P.S-I live at the outskirts of London, entering Surrey so I am able to travel to London easily, as well as travel outside.

Cassiopeia
10-28-2007, 09:45 AM
39 hours and counting! EEPS!

Oh this is getting exciting :)

Cassiopeia
10-31-2007, 06:33 AM
Update! I am in the midlands and badly lagged but enjoying myself. Got here today and love it!

SpookyWriter
10-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Update! I am in the midlands and badly lagged but enjoying myself. Got here today and love it!Wonderful. Now would you mind getting me some fish and chips, please.

Bmwhtly
10-31-2007, 12:15 PM
I am in the midlandsRUN AWAY!

seun
10-31-2007, 01:24 PM
The Midlands? Well, could be worse. You could be in East Anglia.

aruna
10-31-2007, 03:29 PM
You could also be in Hull; which I htink counts as Britain's number 1 Crap Town!
(Or is that Midlands? My geography is terrible)

Bmwhtly
10-31-2007, 03:31 PM
You could also be in Hull; which I htink counts as Britain's number 1 Crap Town!
(Or is that Midlands? My geography is terrible)I think Hull is too north to be in the midlands. but I could be wrong.

However, it's a moot point since Middlesborough is #1 crap hole.

seun
10-31-2007, 04:30 PM
Hull's in sunny Yorkshire. Definitely more north than the Midlands.

Cassiopeia
10-31-2007, 10:44 PM
Wonderful. Now would you mind getting me some fish and chips, please.
Anything for you babes ;)

RUN AWAY!To where? Scotlands? ;)

The Midlands? Well, could be worse. You could be in East Anglia. Tsk Tsk. I love it here. Nothing wrong with the midlands. I marveled last night as I walked down cobblestone streets at the similarities to towns in the midwest where I grew up. I love old archetecure and the people have immediately warmed to me. Every where I go someone is more than happy to chat to me and if I need any help they are quite pleased I asked.

Unlike in London where I get stared at ( I swear I am not freakish looking in any way) and I find people there most cold and bland. Here people are more like the town of Rapid City South Dakota where I grew up.

So laugh all you want, I am loving it. :D

Kim (btw...did I mention I am loving it?)

DonnaDuck
10-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Unlike in London where I get stared at ( I swear I am not freakish looking in any way) and I find people there most cold and bland. Here people are more like the town of Rapid City South Dakota where I grew up.

I knew I was missing something when I went to England. I didn't get out of London enough. I found the people there in the same fashion. I actually feel safer in New York than I do in London. I don't know what it is about the city but it skeeves me. Note to self: next time I go to England, travel to the country!

scarletpeaches
10-31-2007, 11:46 PM
I used to live in the West Midlands. God, I hate that accent. That and Scousers...blech.

You're welcome in my house, Cass. Just email me first to let me know when you're dropping by. :)

Cassiopeia
11-01-2007, 01:03 AM
I used to live in the West Midlands. God, I hate that accent. That and Scousers...blech.

You're welcome in my house, Cass. Just email me first to let me know when you're dropping by. :)*makes note to self* GO SEE SCARLET

scarletpeaches
11-01-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm no longer in the W.Midlands (thank God) - look for me in Dundee. :D

Cassiopeia
11-01-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm no longer in the W.Midlands (thank God) - look for me in Dundee. :D

So you think i am daft then and can't read? :D I KNOW that ;) LOL. You are just being nice and hoping I won't really take you up on that. *wink wink nudge nudge*

scarletpeaches
11-01-2007, 01:41 AM
As long as I'm off work that day, or you meet me in the evening, I'd love to meet you. :D

Cassiopeia
11-01-2007, 01:44 AM
*contemplates* Is Scotland ready for Cassiopeia AND ScarletPeaches in the same energy field?

The planets are going to misalign I think. :)

scarletpeaches
11-01-2007, 01:46 AM
When the earth is thrown off its axis, dogs howl at the moon, the sky turns black and Joaquin Phoenix suddenly stops being sexy, we'll know the world is coming to an end. That, and Cass and La Peche Rouge are within spitting distance of each other.

Cassiopeia
11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
*spitting*??? You are going to spit at me..Sheesh I thought we were past our bitch fighting. ;)

LOL

Of course I was planning on hugging you hello. *shrug* you'll get over it. ;)

scarletpeaches
11-01-2007, 01:56 AM
Bring doughnuts, and I think I'll cope.

Cassiopeia
11-01-2007, 01:58 AM
Bring doughnuts, and I think I'll cope.It's a DEAL ;) Chocolate with sprinkles okay? I lurve them.

scarletpeaches
11-01-2007, 02:02 AM
Ha! You said the magic word. :D

Right, I'm off to bed now to dream about chocolate doughnuts. One more day, then I have some time off. I'll have worked nine days out of the previous ten by this time tomorrow. *yawn* Just think of the overtime, Nichola; think of the overtime...

aruna
11-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Oh yes, do go to Dundee.
http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1013

"The whole place Dundee – or Dundeh, as the locals would call it, is a city of contrasts. It used to be said of Dundeh that if Scotland needed an enema, Dundeh is where they’d stick the straw. But things have changed, and there are many attractions for those with a black sense of humour.

Shell-suited gadgies patrol in groups of five (they can’t count any higher than this), exchanging noises which continue to baffle linguists, but centre on the sound “eh”, which also translates as the word “yes”. Thus the visitor offering to share a meal with a local will oft be rewarded with the phrase: “Eh, eh’ll heve e peh” [=“Thank you, may I have a Scotch Pie, please ?”]. Other delicacies include Clootie Dumplings and anything which has been immersed in boiling fat. However, you must try the flagship dish: mince rolls, a snack which the lady of the house can prepare without once putting down the can of superlager which was surgically attached to her hand during childhood. The aforementioned lady may in fact still be in childhood, as Clootie City continues to defend its title of “Teenage Pregnancy Capital of Scotland”, as testified by the the shrill cries of a fourteen year old to her charge, while sauntering ‘up the Murraygate’: “Chantelle, gonnae get in that f**kin’ buggy…..NOO!”
;)
Love that site www.chavtowns.co.uk btw... my town is in it too and it is so right on!

(Forgive me Scarlett!

seun
11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
I just searched for my town. Yes, it is a toilet.

larocca
11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
I just searched for my town. Yes, it is a toilet.

Is it now? I spent 9 years in Watha, North Carolina, USA. Watha. Not sure if it's Lower Watha or Higher Watha. Population 99. "Couldn't break 100?" asked a coworker. Nope, because of my vasectomy. More cows than people, so it sure smells like a toilet. I finally had to moooooooove to Asia.

(Maybe I should post this kind of crap on some udder site.)

Bmwhtly
11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
To where? Scotlands?Any one in particular?

waylander
11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
So are we doing a meet up thing?

aruna
11-01-2007, 09:33 PM
WHy not you Londoners come to Brighton for a day???

truelyana
11-02-2007, 07:28 PM
What day would be most convenient for Cassiopeia and everyone?

Bmwhtly
11-02-2007, 07:30 PM
WHy not you Londoners come to Brighton for a day???Because Malta would be more fun.

truelyana
11-02-2007, 07:31 PM
WHy not you Londoners come to Brighton for a day???

I'm up for that. I like Brighton :D

Cassiopeia
11-03-2007, 12:33 AM
I am uncertain as to my schedule. I am looking towards the end of November. If I get a call to fly home to close a deal on my house then who knows. I am taking it one day at a time right now.