"Other" really describes my dilemma

Dusk

Registered
Reaction score
Website
duskpeterson.com
I've got a fantasy world made up of three nations. One nation is atheistic/agnostic (depending on the individual). The second one has pluriform monotheism. The third is polytheistic, with an incarnational system that I stole straight from Christianity. Some of the other stories feature monolatrism (i.e. henotheism) and ancestor veneration.

How the heck do I market a series like this? (By "market," I mean to readers - I self-publish.) I want to reach the readers who are interested in religious fantasy, but I don't know how to market a series featuring paganism to a Christian audience; nor do I know how to market a series featuring paganism that draws quite obviously on Christian imagery to a pagan audience. There's probably no hope, I suppose, of drawing in the atheistic crowd, even though the freedom to not believe plays an important role in one of the novels.

Oh, and did I mention that another of my series features reincarnation?

(*Holds head, hoping for useful advice*.)

Dusk

Registered
Reaction score
Website
duskpeterson.com
Anyone who's interested in religious fantasy (among other things) and doesn't mind seeing various theistic/polytheistic/atheistic beliefs presented sympathetically. The trouble is that there's a lot of sensitive folks in the various communities: atheists who have been stung by theism; Pagans who have been stung by Christianity; Christians who have been stung by anti-Christian forces. So how do I reach the ones who are still willing to read about other belief systems, without unduly offending those who aren't?

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Is this work speculative or of use to those interested in comparitive religion? Most everyone goes through a period of religious searching and many are aware of bias and apologetics. You can present your work as thinking outside of the box for everyday people. The story format should help with people who have difficulty reading ultra dense material like scripture and theological material.

Sophia2

Registered
Reaction score
The story format should help with people who have difficulty reading ultra dense material like scripture and theological material.

Good point....

Sophia