PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to college...finally!!

Cranky
10-16-2007, 09:17 AM
OK, so it's not brick-and-mortar, but it's the University of Phoenix online. I've got a respectable amount of college credit from my military days that are going to transfer, too, thank goodness.

But I am scared to death. I feel too old for this crap. But, with four kids (one of whom has special needs) I really think it's necessary to get a degree that will help me get a job that will pay well enough to pay for retirement and a special needs trust for that special needs child, amongst other things.

I can't believe how intimidating it is, but I'm also excited. I know that the first four classes are Communications classes of varying flavors (grammar, too, don't ya love it), so it should be a relative breeze for me. I just...well, for the third time, it's scary!

Has anyone else here gone back to school as an adult? Tried the online degree program? How was it for you?

Thanks for letting me share/vent!

JoNightshade
10-16-2007, 09:23 AM
First of all, that's great! Good for you for having the courage to do this.

Second, U of Phoenix is great. My uncle did the same thing you're doing (in his forties), got a degree, and is now earning much more money. Which is good because after he got his degree, he had a kid. :)

As for me, I'm still in my twenties but I posted a thread a few weeks ago about starting to take Chinese classes. I'm the oldest person in a class made up mostly of little kids. It was embarrassing at first but now-- heck, I take pride in passing up all those little whipper snappers. :)

Cassiopeia
10-16-2007, 09:35 AM
I took a few classes from them way back when. Good for you and good luck, you can do it. :D

Deadbeat 007
10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Has anyone else here gone back to school as an adult? Tried the online degree program? How was it for you?

I haven't done either, but I've been home schooled for ages and started 'attending' an Arizona-based online high school a few years ago. If UoP's online setup is anything like what I'm used to, it's a really great way to go. You get to take your classes at your own pace, when and where you want to. I can't tell you how much this has helped me stay motivated to get things done. :)

Oh, and - congratulations! Best of luck to you, and have fun! ;)

Cranky
10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I don't get to work at my own pace, really. There are still deadlines that must be met for participation and also (of course) final exams, etc.

I do, however, get to do my work whenever is convienient (sp) for me, so long as I have it posted by the due date...LOL.

Tymolee
10-16-2007, 06:31 PM
But I am scared to death. I feel too old for this crap. But, with four kids (one of whom has special needs) I really think it's necessary to get a degree that will help me get a job that will pay well enough to pay for retirement and a special needs trust for that special needs child, amongst other things.

Good for you! Congrats on going back to school... it's a challenge, but it'll be well worth it.

I'm one of those people who went back to school as an adult...and I went back for reasons close to your own. I'm a single parent and wanted to be able to make sure that my son is taken care of (and heck, eventually retire, too). I worked full time while I did it. I had 60 credits under my belt when I went back. It took me almost 4 years to get the other 60 to graduate... I took about 2 classes a semester, usually summer and shortened "May" courses, if I could. And I'm still in school because the degree I got (art therapy) isn't really good for much unless you get your Master's. I didn't do online, I did brick and mortar, but I'm sure it's pretty similar when you get down to it.

So it can be done! It's not easy, but it's so rewarding to get your diploma. I didn't appreciate school until I went back.

A couple words of advice... I don't know how supportive your family is (or how old your kids are), but if they offer to watch the kids for a few hours so you can get things done - TAKE IT. Take whatever you can get. And remember, don't push yourself. If it takes you longer than you think it will, don't worry about it. You'll still get it done and you'll get your degree.... you don't want to kill yourself in the process (I burnt myself out and ended up taking a couple of semesters off before going for my Master's - and taking some time off was the best thing I could have done).

Good luck!!! You'll do great, I'm sure!!!

CaroGirl
10-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Congratulations on making the commitment! I went back to college after getting a relatively useless degree at university and being in the working world for a few years. It was, well, weird. I had a locker and they took attendance. It was like high school all over again. But the courses are practical and my program had other mature students that I hung around with. Your program might too.

All the best on this great adventure!

Backward Masking
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Good luck to you, Cranky. I personally would stay away from online courses, but then again, all about circumstances. Anyways, rack up them A's.

~Cheers

Cassiopeia
10-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Good luck to you, Cranky. I personally would stay away from online courses, but then again, all about circumstances. Anyways, rack up them A's.

~CheersI have done both online and in classroom coursework. Some subjects are harder online than in the classroom but for a great number of them it is far easier to do and be a stay at home Mom.

I think Cranky will be just fine. :D

The_Grand_Duchess
10-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I'm an online student. I go to the Uni of Maryland online. I find it to be really easy and I agree. If anyone offers to take the kids then do it!

Cranky
10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the advice, guys. Thankfully, all but my youngest are in school for at least part of the day, and my youngest (two years old) still takes naps, so I at least have a shot at getting some stuff done during the day.

Since all my kids are under 8, I have plenty of time after I get off work in the evenings (at 10:00, home by 10:15pm) to finish up anything not done during the day. Most likely end up doing research and outlining for papers during the day, and doing the actual paper-writing in the evening. Since my job now is a part-time gig, I still get a few evenings in the week that I'll be able to use for working on my WIP.

Thanks for all the encouragement, and for sharing your experiences. Hopefully, things will go well for me, too.

ETA: I'm actually interviewing for the part-time job tonight, but I'm positive I've got the job already. :) It's just cashiering in the neighborhood grocery store and paperwork stuff on the weekends.

And good luck to you too, Duchess.

Cassiopeia
10-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I promise you, Cranky, (funny I don't find you cranky) ;) you will not regret this for one moment. Continuing to learn is the greatest gift in my life. You are gonna be rocking!

san_remo_ave
10-17-2007, 04:34 AM
Cranky,

Congratulations on taking the big step! You're never too old to go back and get it done --I went back to school 2 1/2 years ago (after starting 20 years ago!) and I'll finish in May (woo hoo!). I've done it all online, too --9-10 credit hours a semester, 3 semesters a year. I use the online system with the state of Tennessee (RODP) so can't speak for the U of Phoenix, but the online learning works well for me. I travel often enough with my day job that it would be very difficult to attend classes regularly. If you're diligent about doing the coursework, organized and self-directed you'll do well

Best of luck!

Susie
10-17-2007, 04:53 AM
That's super Cranky and much good luck. I know I was nervous about just taking a greeting card course online, after not being in school for eons, but I got an A, and bet you will too!

Skyraven
10-17-2007, 05:38 AM
Congratulations Cranky,

I graduated in 2004 from an adult degree completion program at Nyack College. The best moment of the whole thing....having my three-year-old scream Yea, Mommy!!! You have four great cheers to look forward to! :)

Jersey Chick
10-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Congratulations!

I went back (RU - woo hoo) when I was in my late twenties. And pregnant. HUGELY pregnant by October. And, one of my professors - a doctor of psychology, was younger than me. I never felt so old. One girl (looked about 12, but she was probably older - maybe 14) came up to me in the ladies room and said I was either real brave or totally crazy to come back to school. She said it in kind of an awed voice, like it was the most amazing thing she'd ever seen. I told her the same thing I told everyone else who asked me why I went back while pregnant:

"I got the acceptance letter before I got the positive test result."

BUt it was all good and it will be for you too - good luck! :D

Cranky
10-17-2007, 06:46 AM
I told her the same thing I told everyone else who asked me why I went back while pregnant:

"I got the acceptance letter before I got the positive test result."

BUt it was all good and it will be for you too - good luck! :D

:roll:

That's the perfect answer, Jersey Chick! How great was that? :)

Thanks, everyone. You're all making me feel a lot less anxious, and I really appreciate it. Congrats to all the grads!

P.S. I did get the part-time job, btw. Yay me, back to work! LOL