I'll be sparce for a while.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last week I had a low back ache that steadily got worse by the day. By last Friday I was unable to walk. Now I have to use a walker to get around. The only thing I did was work on the 2nd and 3rd of Oct. and the following week my back started to ache. I see a surgeon on Friday.

Anyone experience this? What the heck did I do? I can't sit, stand or lie for very long and I have to take heavy duty pain pills to get through the day. I'm so bummed.

This really puts job hunting off and if I get that job I have to turn it down. I need encouragement.

Got any? I would appreciate it.

Thanks dorks!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
:Hug2:Sorry to hear about your back problems and especially that you have to go see a surgeon. I fell about 10 years ago and ruptered several of my lower discs. I have to watch what I pick up and how I do it or I throw my back out. I just got over one of these spells and it lasted for two weeks. I could barely walk, lay and sitting was a killer. I just stayed doped up on my meds, sorry to say. I really wish you the best of luck and I hope surgery works for you. I guess since I don't have insurance, I tell my doctor to forget about that option because there is no way I can afford it. I try doing exercises, watch what I do and take drugs as needed. I know what horrible pain you must be in. I hope it gets better and you still get the job no matter what.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I know the agony of back pain! Well, not quite back... it was sorta back and groin. When I was in high school I worked a summer job at a manufacturing place. Not super-heavy lifting, but lifting. One day I picked up something the wrong way and I felt it go-- I was like, "Oh crap, I screwed my back up." I could barely get around for a week or two, felt like a little old lady!!! Fortunately it healed and I was fine a month or two later.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious!!! :(

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to suggest it's a disc problem, too.

Aw, Terri. I'm sorry to hear this, girl. I will say some prayers for you.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Stop trying to be a contortionist in the bedroom, dork. You ain't twenty anymore!

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
A surgeon? Did your doctor suggest you go see a surgeon? I had the same problem a few years ago and went to see s chiropractor. Yeah, I know; doctor's hate them., but the first visit did the job and after two follow ups I was back to 100%.

Hope you feel better soon, Werri.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Last week I had a low back ache that steadily got worse by the day. By last Friday I was unable to walk. Now I have to use a walker to get around. The only thing I did was work on the 2nd and 3rd of Oct. and the following week my back started to ache. I see a surgeon on Friday.

Anyone experience this? What the heck did I do? I can't sit, stand or lie for very long and I have to take heavy duty pain pills to get through the day. I'm so bummed.

This really puts job hunting off and if I get that job I have to turn it down. I need encouragement.

Got any? I would appreciate it.

Thanks dorks!
Oh, Your Dorkiness! I thought I felt your absence lately...

I wouldn't be so quick to simply turn down the job - explain the situation and see if you can get your back straghtened out, and see if you can maybe take the job later when your back is strong enough.

I had a physically demanding job this summer, and it sucked as far as feeling tired all the time - I never quite got used to it. Had a bunch of stuff going on anyway, wanted to do more "real" exercise but it was all I could do to do the on-the-job activity. I just ran a half mile today for the first time in months.

I had a back injury about 15 years ago, picking up a Peavey CS-400 (big monster rock-band-quality audio amp - that's what roadies are for, to move equipment like that, don't do it yourself), pulled a muscle pretty bad, I was out of work for days, and have been more careful of how I pick up things ever since. I've also since been to the gym off and on, and when I've done the back exercises and built up those back muscles, I never had the first hint of a pain in my back. Need to get back to a gym. Wonder if I can get in some weight training between now and NaNoWriMo.

Be careful with those pain pills, especially if they are the "good" kind. If you ever take them other than as prescribed, they'll send the narcs after you and lock you in a church basement - it's even worse than a pain in the back.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
A surgeon? Did your doctor suggest you go see a surgeon? I had the same problem a few years ago and went to see s chiropractor. Yeah, I know; doctor's hate them., but the first visit did the job and after two follow ups I was back to 100%.

Not sure which would scare me more (surgeon or chiropractor - well, probably the chiropractor!), but if someone said I needed surgery I'd definitely get second and third opinions before having back surgery.

I'd do one of those huggie-smilie-faces, but I know it would only make your back hurt, so there's this one::e2arms:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Big Hugs for you Dork! Hope you feel better soon, and maybe land an even better job than this one! I'll be thinking of you and sending positive dorky vibes your way!

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure which would scare me more (surgeon or chiropractor - well, probably the chiropractor!), but if someone said I needed surgery I'd definitely get second and third opinions before having back surgery.

I'd do one of those huggie-smilie-faces, but I know it would only make your back hurt, so there's this one::e2arms:

I wasn't sure about seeing one either. The first jokers I went to wanted to do everything under the sun and charge an unbelievable sum of money.

Then a friend told me about a guy he knew from the hospital. This guy was in his late 70's and half my size. I went to his office, he cracked my back and neck, drew me a diagram on how I should sleep at night (lay on side, top leg bent so you look like a figure four so the pressure on the lower back is relieved), charged me $25 and said 'Come back to see me if the pain persists tomorrow. If it doesn't, save your money. Come back when you have to.'

I went back a few times when I felt a bit of pain start up and one visit was all it really took.

He used to volunteer at the local hospital until he retired last year.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You poor dork! I hope they are able to do something for your back!

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I swear by my chiropractor; find one that will take x-rays first in case of disc damage, however, if the pain is that bad. Good luck!

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, Terri, sure sorry that happened. Howie and I know only too well about back pain. Praying your back pain is gone very quickly. :Hug2:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terri, so sorry to hear about the back! That sounds terrible. Here's hoping the doc can help resolve the problem (hopefully without surgery)! Prayers being sent...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Aw, sorry, Terri.

You're too young to be feeling old.

Oy, you vant to talk about pain, pain I've got. *coughs up some phlem*

My heel hurts. My back hurts. My neck hurts. My shoulders hurt.

Hmm, wait. See this little finger here? That's the only thing that doesn't hurt.

(Trying to make you feel better. ;))

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:Sorry to hear about your back problems and especially that you have to go see a surgeon. I fell about 10 years ago and ruptered several of my lower discs. I have to watch what I pick up and how I do it or I throw my back out. I just got over one of these spells and it lasted for two weeks. I could barely walk, lay and sitting was a killer. I just stayed doped up on my meds, sorry to say. I really wish you the best of luck and I hope surgery works for you. I guess since I don't have insurance, I tell my doctor to forget about that option because there is no way I can afford it. I try doing exercises, watch what I do and take drugs as needed. I know what horrible pain you must be in. I hope it gets better and you still get the job no matter what.

Yep sounds like me. It hurts just to sit here right now. I inherited my mom's and brother's back. They have had surgery. I can't talk to my mom but I guess I should call my brother.

I'm scared to have surgery so close to my spine but if it will help me to walk I'll do it.

Thanks!

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
About five years ago I had a terrible lower back pain, and went to the doctor, who suggested I might have a urinary tract infection.

The antibiotics did nothing for my back pain, which became much worse over the following week.

I ended up in the ER, which is a place I never go without a real good reason.

The doctor thought there had to be something terribly wrong. X--rays came back normal. CANCER, maybe?

NO!

It turned out that my psosis (sp?) muscle was in a constant spasm.

Yes! I would live!

They gave me muscle relaxers, and ye old muscle stopped contractin.

Hope that's kind of like what you have, TERRI!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

That's what I thought. I had my MRI and go pick up the results tomorrow. I will see what the surgeon has to say before I decide surgery. A chiro. would cost me bucks I don't have. They usually want you in about 3x a week. It may be the way to go though.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you feel better soon, Your Dorkiness. And that you don't have to have surgery.

Maybe, you won't have to turn down any jobs in the meantime, since you don't know what the outcome's gonna be.

Take care :Hug2:

They said training started in Nov. so I still have time. They still haven't called. Thanks for the hug!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I swear by my chiropractor; find one that will take x-rays first in case of disc damage, however, if the pain is that bad. Good luck!

My hubby's boss went to a chiro and he ended up doing more damage on accident though. I'm in so much pain that you can't even touch the skin. I think I'll wait to see a chiro.