Super Fantastic Genre Writers FOR TRUTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
We have bubblegum and edgy YA threads, but nothing about genre YA novels. This is not a good thing. I like genre novels, possibly because I've always found real life kind of dull... and there's so much crazy in my life that most mainstream novels don't do that much for me.

So here's my story about how I was assimilated into the horde of fantasy writers.

I was reading mainstream YA for a long time. Lots of Judy Blume. My uncle sent me Tamora Pierce's novels Wild Magic and Wolf Speaker, but I didn't pick them up until they had been sitting on my shelf for about two years.

And I read them.

And I was completely blown away by the world, the concepts, the magic, the flying crap-covered bird people (WHY, RIKASH!?) and all that good stuff. It was intense. So I went to the bookstore and I discovered Patrica C. Wrede and Diana Wynne Jones. Then Garth Nix and Libba Bray. Then Orson Scott Card. Then Terry Pratchett.

No looking back. I love fantasy; I love creating my own worlds and playing with concepts.

What about all of you? (Those of you in genre denial can feel free to lurk near the punch bowl and mutter to yourselves. :) YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.)

LOOK! It's an EDIT!

Things that Constitute 'Genre' - A Cumulative List:
Smoochies
Zombies
Consummate Vs
TROGDOR
Crime-fighting Robots
Weird, strange stuff
Lonely, lovesick harpies
Not-really zombies
Evil Overlords
That thing Jordan said on page 2

Last edited:

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I guess chick-lit and YA romance doesn't count as genre. Shady, pass over the punch.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Romance - and chick-lit, probably - counts as genre. Genre =/= flaming swords and dragon smex.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Umm, do I count?

*waves* I would like a bit of grit in my NaNo, but it does involve zombies, sooo...

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I love fantasy. My mom read Lord of the Rings to me when I was 4. Really. She also read all of CS Lewis, Lloyd Alexander, and counless others to me. I used to write fantasy, and I'm not terrible at it, but right now I'm more attracted to realistic. But I love fantasy. Oh, I already said that.

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Tamora Pierce is amazing. As is Garth Nix.

I like fantasy, too. Thought not really the dragons, unicorns, wizards high-fantasy. I like the urban/suburban modern stuff. I used to only like that, but then i started reading mainstream and writing mainstream. Now I'm kind of combining them/doing both. Yay for multitasking.

What kind of punch is it?

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
FANTAStic punch?

I loved Tamora Pierce when I was younger. I can't really read like, swords and sorcery anymore. But man she got me writing.

Garth Nix I still love because of the worlds he creates more than anything. I mean come ON Old Kingdom FTW! The House FTW!

now according to my beauteous beta I write literary

so

I

don't

belong.

omg sophie who is your favorite character in a great and terrible beauty??

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
So here's my story about how I was assimilated into the horde of fantasy writers.

I was reading mainstream YA for a long time. Lots of Judy Blume. My uncle sent me Tamora Pierce's novels Wild Magic and Wolf Speaker, but I didn't pick them up until they had been sitting on my shelf for about two years.

And I read them.

And I was completely blown away by the world, the concepts, the magic, the flying crap-covered bird people (WHY, RIKASH!?) and all that good stuff. It was intense. So I went to the bookstore and I discovered Patrica C. Wrede and Diana Wynne Jones. Then Garth Nix and Libba Bray. Then Orson Scott Card. Then Terry Pratchett.

No looking back. I love fantasy; I love creating my own worlds and playing with concepts.

Ah, it warms the heart. :D I think the first fantasy I read - outside of a wagonload of MG and children's books from the time I was 2 onward - was Robin McKinley's Hero and the Crown, which was an excellent place to start. I was 9 or 10, I think; it knocked my socks off. McKinley's still one of my standards for the genre.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
OMG. I totally can't decide between Miss Moore and Pippa. They're both so fricking ridiculously awesome to read about. OH AND THE WHOLE CONCEPT OF THE UNTOUCHABLES FTW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_(outcaste)

:D

Also, TROGDORRRRRR. <3 I will admit that Trogdor might have been an influence for the flying snakes of Druubor.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
trogdor...burninating the countryside...TROGDOR!!!

my favorite is feliiicity I identify a lot with her, and my best friend is GEMMA and YESSSSSS that is how we met

the untouchables owned.

And our other friend is Miss Moore. Only we make her be CIRCE [on her msn display name...HA]

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
Crime-fighting robots have been added!

I need to think of something that sums up my novels. Hmm.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I can't sum A up not yet

SG is a lonely lovesick harpy

umm

A is

"a story about accepting your past and future."

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
:'(

Seriously, though, I totally cracked up when I read that. The lack of punctuation SO helped. seriously, we've mastered the lack of punctuation.

Wow that means a lot.

dunt cry yew little purdy thang or none of them hot guys will like yew no moar.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm, err, having DIFFERENTY ideas about undead for my NaNo. The idea that they're actually scary because they're more like human than zombie. But still fucking scary.

...Any ideas or help? I need help on making this not a let-down.

And don't forget Evil Overlords! That's my favorite thing to write about. :D

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Figure out the parts that make stuff look human and twist it.

Like fundamentals of human appearance. Eyes nose mouth. Like lips rotting away is pretty effing repulsive.

Are you talking about physical anyway? If not sorry.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Figure out the parts that make stuff look human and twist it.

Like fundamentals of human appearance. Eyes nose mouth. Like lips rotting away is pretty effing repulsive.

Are you talking about physical anyway? If not sorry.

I don't mean physically. I mean, they don't look like zombies at all -- they look like normal humans. And they have a lot of human tendencies. But I think I may keep with sort of the hive-mind that most zombies seem to have. Like, it takes a good, long while for them to figure out that these things are no longer human.

Status
Not open for further replies.