Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I posted this in the short stories section to no avail. Since it's a comedic story and I'm testing the waters with a new style, I figured it'd be best to post here.

Right now I'm writing a short story that's experimental in design and I wanted some opinions on it.

For the main story we have a sugar-coated tale of this guy traveling to perform a comedy routine. It's sugar-coated at the behest of his girlfriend/wife (undecided on that at the moment) however, he's a wiseass and has added in his own footnotes to the sugar-coated portions of the story. So we have the main body of the story teling the basic outline with the real meat running parallel in the footnotes, the snide/funny comments, how the guy really felt about this person or that.

Does this sound like something readable? I know for me reading footnotes can get annoying and detract from what you're actually reading but with this story, that's the point. What's being told isn't what's really interesting; it's what's in the footnotes that tells the story. Just think of a guy writing something down and then mumbling at the moments that he knows aren't describing what he was thinking at that moment. Could this work? Would it need to be seen in order to be judged? Should I meld the footnotes into the story? Or have one with footnotes, one without and see which one works better?

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Hi Donna, great to have you over here in Humor.

First off, if you have a piece you want critiqued, be sure to post it in the Share Your Work forum under Humor, and then let us know it's there (there's a sticky thread at the top of Humor to let folks know when you need a crit).

Secondly, I'm with Ferret -- there's few people who can get away with footnotes. Terry Pratchett is a master at it, but honestly, few of us are Terry Pratchett, and if you're just beginning, you're better to figure you're not than assume you are. :D

There are other ways to get in snarky asides that won't give the reader a migraine. Some examples (and by no means a definitive list):

1) I walked along, singing a happy tune. (Okay, I didn't, but the wife-unit really loves people floucing along singing, like deranged parakeets.)

2) I walked along, singing a happy tune. 'Oh, this is fun. Can't wait to see if a talking bunny appears.' Things were lovely in the forest. 'Until the wolf shows up.'

3) I walked along, singing a happy tune. Have you noticed that this is just patently ridiculous? Happy tune singing while walking along, especially if you're alone? And not happy? I am so sick of the need to make the wife happy. It's my story isn't it? But, in case she's looking, happy, happy, happy!

4) I walked along, singing a happy tune. That's insane, who does this, really? The forest was lovely this time of day. If you were a wolverine.

I'd suggest experimenting with different ways of doing what you're trying to achieve within the narrative itself, not as footnotes. Footnotes are an easy crutch that won't make your piece nearly as compelling. Pratchett's footnotes can be ignored and you lose nothing of the storyline, they merely add MORE humor. Unless yours are the same, practice with other avenues.

BTW, Prof. Tex's Humor Clinic homework assignments are a great place to practice. I know you're already over there, so use them as a way to kill two birds with one stone. (Cliches...you gotta love 'em. Or go mad. ;))

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Thanks Jeanne and Sherry! I appreciate the input! I do have a strong feeling that this is one story that's going to have to be written multiple ways before I figure out what works. I still like the idea about footnotes but the reality of it is that they are annoying. I even find them annoying and I'm writing them. But right now I'm just going to write it, use the footnotes as my notes and go from there. I'll worry about format once the entire thing is down on paper and I can actually get a visual of it.

And Sherry, I have the first assignment done! Well, I think it's the 6th or 7th but my first anyway. I just want to do a little edit before I post it!

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Ok, question...out of the examples that Jeanne gave, which do you think would work best for incorporating footnotes into the actual body of the story? I'm leaning more towards the parentheses because I really want the remarks to be an aside moreso than part of the story itself so I don't see italicized thoughts or anything of that sort as working with this. I'm going to write two of the same piece, one with footnotes, the other with the remarks incorporated but I just wanted some advice as to how it might work best before I start rearranging it. Again, I'm still leaning towards parentheses.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
My recommendation? Try a chapter or about 10 pages of it one way, do the next chapter or about 10 pages of it another way, and so on. Print it out, let it sit for a few days. Go back and read them. Which one reads easiest/best? Which way stops the reading or derails it completely?

There's nothing wrong, and a lot right, about experimenting with styles or stylistic elements. There's also nothing wrong with trying something and changing your mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.