Post Your Book Title

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
I thought it would be fun for people to post their Nano book titles and get a reaction on what it brings up for people. One of the things I'm really discovering is that my book titles are boring, so this year I am trying one that hopefully is intriguing and makes you want to at least find out what its about.

"Tales from Dungheap Fortress"

Does it sound interesting? What does it conjure up mentally for you?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
My title is "Lock and Key".

ETA: Previous NaNo titles were "Switchback" and "Double Take".

"Tales from Dungheap Fortress" sounds like fun. Humorous fantasy?

Last edited:

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Oh my... no mental image there, but it sounds like it would be a blast to read! Makes me think high fantasy satire.

I don't have a title for mine since I have about 3 ideas running around my head for NaNo. I could try to come up with some though...

idea 1: Bitchin' (werewolf flick. urban fantasy)
idea 2: Seeing is Believing or See No Evil (MC is legally blind with a second sight of sorts - she can see auras and raw magic. urban fantasy)
idea 3: no title ideas... go see the "red shirts" entry over in scifi/fantasy SYW

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
DamaNegra - "We Were Perfect" is a good title, gives me an immediate interest, like a "fallen gods" kind of thing.

Sassee - I like "See no Evil" as a title - its catchy and makes you want to know why. Though I think it may be used already.

TheIT - "Lock and Key" could work but its not a real grabber for me yet. My guess would be some kind of thief-based mystery but thats probably too literal of a translation. My other guess would be a "opening the key to the mind" kind of a story which sounds interesting.

For Dungheap Fortress, its pretty much what it sounds like :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably going to be a steampunk thing, I have no title yet. An offhand working title might be "The Mechanical Marvel" or "The Mechanical Revolution."

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Sassee - I like "See no Evil" as a title - its catchy and makes you want to know why. Though I think it may be used already.

It is... there are quite a few books with that title. For NaNo it's fine but if I ever want to publish it I'm pretty sure the title would be changed.

Ahh well, it's NaNo. Maybe I'll just go with it anyway :)

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
What, I'm supposed to have a title too? :tongue

At the moment mine goes by the central character's name (nickname), which is Waukrife Alec.

Reaction score
Thus far I've fixed on Absent Friends. It doesn't quite have the feel I'm aiming for, but it's the nearest I can get so far and works as a...well, a working title.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't decided which I'm writing (or if it's something else), but one I'm considering is "DownLoad" & the other is temporarily called "Caged Bird" (or in my Word file, "Alatyr's story" ;) )

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Mine's Jack of All Trades. The MC's name is Jack, of course. :p

My last year's Nano title was Stag in Velvet, which I still love.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT - "Lock and Key" could work but its not a real grabber for me yet. My guess would be some kind of thief-based mystery but thats probably too literal of a translation. My other guess would be a "opening the key to the mind" kind of a story which sounds interesting.

Thanks for the feedback. What about "Lock and Keystone"?

In my fantasy universe, my thief character has been working for both sides of the law. Now both sides are questioning her loyalty, so she needs to choose. One of the characters posing the choice is named Keystone.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Shards and Stranded. I don't worry too much about titles when I'm in the writing phase - if they suck, something better will occur sometime during the process. OTOH, the first one was named by Fahim, the hubby, and is descriptive of the state of affairs with magic with these people. *shrugs*

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
My last NaNo title was 'The Clockwork Angel'. I don't have a proper title yet for this year's.
JessR

Hmm, maybe I could use clockwork in my title, such as "Clockwork Engineering." It'll be a great novel - what could possibly go wrong?
train_wreck_left_side.jpg

GeorgieB

Almost a wannabe writer
Registered
Reaction score
Last year's NaNo was "The Jade Earrings" - a romance that turned into a mystery.

This year's will be one of two: "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a Fractured Fairy Tale", or one with a working title called "Imagination". Not too clever but easier to keep track of on my hard drive.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
BenBradley - I like "Clockwork Engineering" - its got a good feel to it and is catchy, like things really are moving like clockwork and you just know a mouse or whatever is going to come along and mess everything up.

TheIT - "Lock and Keystone" sounds great, especially with a character named Keystone. It automatically makes me think its a tightly woven intricate story..hope you don't feel any pressure ;-)

Quidscribis - I wish I was as confident as you, last year I just wrote my Nano story, waiting for the thunderbolt of an idea for the title, so far I have been through 3 working titles and still don't like it. Its currently saved as "2006 Nano Story.doc" on my hard drive...sigh....

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm going to rip myself off. I posted a poem last February for the anti-valentine contest called Finding The Whitman.
I think it'll make an interesting book title. I have no idea what it will be about. The title is going to have to lead me through the book.