Saving NaNoWriMo people from PublishAmerica!

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
well, I've already tripped over one PA author on the site who's still in the innocence phase...

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/1006805#comment-85802

185 pages and it's $19.95... :rant:

let's be aware that PublishAmerica is going to be swarming all over these participants as they work on their novels, offering to publish them "since no one publishes new authors" and so forth.

point them to here and the PA threads as the offers come in from PublishAmerica - let's save a few of our kin before they fall prey to the cesspool that is PA!

:)

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
That's certainly an unpleasant thought. :eek: It'd be like giving a fox the key to the hen house. The fox would probably do less damage. What can we do?

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
What can we do?

keep an eye out on the forums for people claiming that they've already got a publisher for their NaNoWriMo novel - I wouldn't put it past PA to scour the forums and find peeps guillable enough to put their babies with these scammers.

I'd refer them back here, however - I didn't want to make the thread totally off-topic, as you can read, but at the same time I wanted to put out the information that PA is *not* a legitimate publishing route to success. The PA author is still in the honeymoon stage and was giving out the disinformation she had gotten from the PAMB and PA themselves - and that's pretty enticing to a participant who may finish the 50,000 words and then want to rush into print. If I were PA I'd pounce on the lot of them!

glassquill

RB's favourite chewtoy
Registered
Reaction score
keep an eye out on the forums for people claiming that they've already got a publisher for their NaNoWriMo novel - I wouldn't put it past PA to scour the forums and find peeps guillable enough to put their babies with these scammers.

I'd refer them back here, however - I didn't want to make the thread totally off-topic, as you can read, but at the same time I wanted to put out the information that PA is *not* a legitimate publishing route to success. The PA author is still in the honeymoon stage and was giving out the disinformation she had gotten from the PAMB and PA themselves - and that's pretty enticing to a participant who may finish the 50,000 words and then want to rush into print. If I were PA I'd pounce on the lot of them!

I certainly wouldn't put it past them to do that. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for that sort of thing.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
point them to here and the PA threads as the offers come in from PublishAmerica - let's save a few of our kin before they fall prey to the cesspool that is PA!

Gee, I can't WAIT until I get my offer from PA! What should I say? Any ideas on how I might string them along? This is perhaps best answered in PM's, as there's likely someone at PA reading every thread in every forum that has their company name in it. Let me clear out my old PM's...

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I did notice that the terms of whatsit that you're supposed to read as you join NaNoWriMo include a warning about paying for publishing etc.
But then, PA claims you don't pay, so that isn't necessarily going to help.
Reading the 3-Day Novel Contest thread on the book forum I frequent, I had some spasms when one of the participants said 'I've heard good things about PublishAmerica'. Yikes! I replied as fast as I could gather the links to back up what I said.
I can't really claim I saved him, though, because he sounded like someone who would have googled before actually committing himself. Still *fans self, breathes slowly* it was alarming.
-Barbara

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll talk to anyone who'll listen :)

I'm there, my brothers and sisters in arms (against PA).

John W. DeVore

Registered
Reaction score
LITERARY HOSTAGES

New authors (like me) need to discover early on that "publishing" with PA is not actually publishing.

The reality is that once PA has your work you will be buying all your own books at regular market prices. There are very few bookstores that can boast that their main customers are the very authors whose books are on the shelf.

Add that to the fact that the books aren't even on the shelf, but won't even be printed until your check clears their bank, then you begin to see the truth.

The Truth is that "Publishing" with PA is really only giving your work up as a Hostage to thugs who will prevent you from effectively publishing your work, while they work you for every dime they can get.

Unless you intend to start your own bookstore you should keep trying to find an actual publisher who will do his job as he should.

John W. DeVore
exodus2020.com

Last edited:

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an ML for NaNoWriMo and I would like to put together a post with a bunch of links warning people off PA.

Do you have a copy of your post that I can use as a template Sheryl?

Sheryl Nantus

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I'm an ML for NaNoWriMo and I would like to put together a post with a bunch of links warning people off PA.

Do you have a copy of your post that I can use as a template Sheryl?

*scratches head*

sorry, that thread was more along the lines of someone advertising that they were going to give their book to PA and me putting the facts into the discussion - there wasn't any real post per say, just me commenting on the original post.

I'd definitely link to the PA forum here to start, imo... I think there's already a warning or two up at the NaNoWriMo site but you can never have too many warning them off of PA!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Let's start a thread each week warning against PA :) It can't be considered spamming if it's for a good cause and is started by a different AW member each time, can it?

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to discourage that practice on the little section I "control".

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've read about PA and I've heard about their bad rep. Is it true that they charge you for buying your own book? "

"No one publishes, new authors" is this some kind of gimmick they use?

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I've read about PA and I've heard about their bad rep. Is it true that they charge you for buying your own book? "
Careful...most publishers will also charge an author for buying their own book. But, that's usually after you run out of the (many more than 5) free copies they send, and you usually can't turn around and re-sell them (contractually).

That's where PA gets people to fork over the money...because re-selling is usually the only way an author can sell copies.

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
But not make money.

Even IF you can find a store willing to purchase one or more, they will want a minimum discount of at least 30% in order to make a profit. Given how ridiculously overpriced PA books are to start with ($25-$30 currently), add in shipping and by the time you sell it, you're in the hole further.

Last edited:

Calamity_Jones

Boomer's Disposable Minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I live in England, so I'm presumably safe from Publish America, and I'm certainly not naïve enough to accept any publisher that contacts the author. It works the other way around. I've done my research :p

Anyway, let me get this straight... They're basically a vanity publishing company then? They take your book, wait for you to pay, then sell YOU copies of your own book. At market prices? Oh dear...

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Anyway, let me get this straight... They're basically a vanity publishing company then? They take your book, wait for you to pay, then sell YOU copies of your own book. At market prices? Oh dear...
Unfortunately, they make you pay excessive prices when you buy copies of your own book...not up front. Otherwise, I imagine more people would be privy to the true nature of PublishAmerica.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
Problem is, nano sigs don't show up unless you start a thread or quote someone. I've been trying to remember to quote another poster so mine does -- trying to help the site by advertising Goodsearch. It's in my sig here too.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a couple stickies in the NaNo forums that point to various topics here at AW, so you might want to go check them out first.