PDA

View Full Version : Is it all in my head?

Susan Breen
10-15-2007, 03:41 AM
I am in this nerve-wracking state now in which I am waiting to get reviews of my book (as opposed to all the other nerve-wracking states associated with writing) and, I realized that is is easier for me to prepare for it if I imagine the reviews are bad. But I'm wondering if I'm jinxing myself. Maybe I should be thinking good thoughts... Do you think it's better to go at this optimistically or pessimistically?

Chicken Warrior
10-15-2007, 03:45 AM
I think the uncertainty you're at right now is probably just about right. :D

Birol
10-15-2007, 03:50 AM
I think you put thoughts of reviews out of your head -- whatever you think or do won't affect the outcome one way or another -- and focus on the next project instead.

popmuze
10-15-2007, 03:52 AM
I always hope for the best and am usually crushed by the slightest negative implication in even a rave review. Lately, I'm happy to get reviewed at all.

A lot of people on this panel dismiss reviews. I happen to think they are crucial--just to add more anxiety to your day--and that one good review in the right place can create a domino effect.

I was very excited to hear that Variety was going to review my last book on publication. From there, I figured it would go to Time and Newsweek, Entertainment Weekly, People, Rolling Stone--straight to the Best Seller List.

Unfortunately, Variety gave it a mixed review, with all the bad stuff above the fold, as they say, and the good stuff buried.

The remainder of the reviews were few and far between.

And the book was subsequently remaindered.

Arisa81
10-15-2007, 04:02 AM
Be optimistic.

There is too much pessimism going around anyway.
Of course things might not turn out how you hope, but I would think people feel better being optimistic until whatever happens happens. You know?

But I am one of those overly optimistic people.

You can be optimistic that you're getting your book reviewed in the first place. And that it's published. Those are good things right.

Good luck with your reviews, I hope they praise you and your work :)

vfury
10-15-2007, 04:08 AM
The amount of people who come in with little scraps ripped out from newspapers and magazines is unbelievable. Or the amount of people who've heard about a book (but sadly don't have the title or author because they're never mentioned at the end of the interview - why, why are they never mentioned, I always wonder; it seems like the most sensible thing in the world, like mentioning the name of a song at the end when it's played on the radio) from an interview they've seen on TV or heard on the radio. If the review is from something major, there will usually be sufficient interest that we'll order more stock and probably recommend it to the right sort of customer.

So, yes, I definitely think reviews matter in terms of potentially better sales. But I also think they should be taken with a grain of salt by the author: in the end, it's only one person's opinion.

Best of luck!

Eyan Carrington
10-15-2007, 04:00 PM
why are they never mentioned, I always wonder; it seems like the most sensible thing in the world
If they're not mentioned, that's a producer not doing his/her job. Basic scripting says you always post-announce with extra information for the viewer / listener. "If you want to know more about..."

Susan, there's no such thing as jinxing, so tear your hair out, wail through the night, or grab random strangers and demand to know why everyone is out to get you.

Or just love the fact that you were reviewed in the first place. That's fab, congrats!

KTC
10-15-2007, 04:10 PM
If you see it, it will happen.

Jamesaritchie
10-15-2007, 05:35 PM
I suppose it's impossible to ignore reviews on a first novel, but it's really best to do so. If you don't read them, you don't have to worry about what they say.

CheshireCat
10-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I suppose it's impossible to ignore reviews on a first novel, but it's really best to do so. If you don't read them, you don't have to worry about what they say.

What James said.

Reviews don't matter, really. Trashed books become bestsellers, and critically lauded books sell in four figures and land in the remainder piles.

Do yourself a favor and don't look a the bad ones OR the good ones.

Believe me, in this internet age, you'll hear from readers directly, offering their own unvarnished opinions, and that'll be bad enough.