What other taboos in writing are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard about the child abuse/death thing....And rape, of course....what else is there?

'Cos I definitely think my novel just broke all of 'em.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
There aren't any taboos, just individual agents and publishers who aren't interested in or comfortable handling certain topics. The Kite Runner featured child rape, and did just fine.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about taboos, but I certainly would be suspect of any such limitations. Literature should challenge our concepts, and create bonds with characters so we can empathize and understand situations unlike our own. So why have subjects that are off limits?
Personally, my WIP deals with an almost rape. I was just asking reader comfort level in the romance writing section, since mine flashes back mid steamy scene. The overwhelming response I received was that if the end was satisfying enough, and you moved with the character from pain, to healing, to healed (or as much as reasonably possible) than readers will forgive most forms of MC torture.
As a reader, I would agree. I can stomach reading about some pretty nasty things, as long as the bad guy gets whats due him in the end.

Reaction score
There's no such thing as a taboo when it comes to what's fit material for a novel.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, it's not about what will or will not sell, but certain people would prefer not to represent certain topics. That's their choice as individuals.

What you use can't just be for shock value, though. It has to serve the story. That's not about taboos, though. That's just good writing.

Reaction score
As others have said, it's not about what will or will not sell, but certain people would prefer not to represent certain topics. That's their choice as individuals.

What you use can't just be for shock value, though. It has to serve the story. That's not about taboos, though. That's just good writing.

So it would be inappropriate of me to run through this thread shouting "BUM WILLY POO!" just to shock people?

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Sweet leapin' crickets! I applaud your avatar Scarlet. My, my, my...
I'm sorry....what were we talking about? *ahem. /blush

Reaction score
Just so you all know - it's not me. I'm female. Nor is it anyone I know. Hell, I wish!

Right, people. As you were.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
<----is lost looking at hot pants again, wishing she could read what the words say on them...

But seriously, besides being glad to see the cool avatar back in place on Scarlet's posts, I agree with the others that there really aren't any taboos, just agents and publishers who don't want to deal with certain topics. :tongue

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've heard about the child abuse/death thing....And rape, of course....what else is there?

'Cos I definitely think my novel just broke all of 'em.

There aren't any taboos, just individual agents and publishers who aren't interested in or comfortable handling certain topics. The Kite Runner featured child rape, and did just fine.

Precisely. I don't think any of those are taboos -- but do tread carefully on how you portray these -- too graphic, too raw, too gratuitous? Something to think about.

In The Kite Runner, some may feel the rape scene was too much, too graphic and too detailed. A parent I know actually forbade her son to read that chapter.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I have stopped dead in the middle of an excellent novel because I can see a child about to be gang-raped and I don't want to have to go through it. The author has done too good a job in a lot of ways.

I've also been trying to read A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews, but have been unable to keep going. She captures the voice of a snarky, judgmental teenager so well...

My fifth child just turned 18. I have had snarky, judgmental teenagers to deal with for so long that voluntarily immersing myself in another seems to be more than I can do. But that's a highly individual quirk...

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I'm with everyone else. No taboos. I have a threesome in the first ten pages, and most of my MCs are emotionally dysfunctional due to an array of issues, rape and incest just to name a couple.

Granted, I just started querying so I have no clue if it'll actually land an agent or sell, but I believe that if it's important to the story, it should be in there. Now, graphic detail is another issue. I think it's genre specific, but there's always some leeway as long as you don't become so fascinated with describing the act in loving detail that you forget the point of it. Just my thoughts. :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
While many may say "nothing is taboo," there are surely subjects and situations one might think twice about before writing. What promps me to write in this thread is that last night I read a short story featuring a suicide attempt (I won't link to it, but it's here on an AW forum).

It also brought to mind this news story I might have found hard to believe, but I heard it on the radio earlier this year when it happened:
(two men in a bizzare suicide attempt, may be disturbing)
http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=60914

Ideas of course come from everywhere, but I'm wondering whether things like this would be considered "appropriate fodder" for stories...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well I know that one taboo my writing instructor in college always enforced was that no book or story could end with the main character committing suicide. Actually I agree with this, because the point of a book is to have a character that moves forward (or back) in some way. There has to be some sort of growth or change or you don't have a book. And suicide isn't growth, it's a cop-out. It puts an end to any growth whatsoever.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Well I know that one taboo my writing instructor in college always enforced was that no book or story could end with the main character committing suicide. Actually I agree with this, because the point of a book is to have a character that moves forward (or back) in some way. There has to be some sort of growth or change or you don't have a book. And suicide isn't growth, it's a cop-out. It puts an end to any growth whatsoever.

Hmm, I have a suicide in my series, but it's not at the end. By that point in the story, the reader should be almost expecting it. I'm hoping for understanding and empathy. Time will tell.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Hmm, I have a suicide in my series, but it's not at the end. By that point in the story, the reader should be almost expecting it. I'm hoping for understanding and empathy. Time will tell.

Well there's just a slight difference between a fictional world that mirrors everyday life and... one that grants you access to heaven and hell and the afterlife. I think suicide doesn't count if the story continues beyond the grave. ;)

Reaction score
What about the ending of The Butterfly Effect? That was essentially suicide, but due to the nature of the story the writer(s?) got away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.