Rowling suing Indian Festival

Status
Not open for further replies.

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm the very first to defend copyrights ... but I think this is really dumb. They aren't doing anything that will cause her to lose reputation or money. If they were illegally copying text or showing the movies, that would be something else.

If I home-make a Harry Potter costume for my son that isn't officially licensed, is she going to come sue me? I can't see where this is a copyright violation.

Rowling, as a person, drops a few notches in my estimation.

Booo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2007101...urtreligion;_ylt=AsKWVJAO0tP562SgLMFlc5e9IxIF

ETA: Okay, I'll reserve judgment on Rowling 'till I hear if she is behind this or just the publishers...

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Well. . . I'm wondering if it is really Rowling or simply the publishers. I have a friend who made news back when she was in high school when their school was going to put on a play of Harry Potter (she was going to play Hermione). This was before the first movie came out, but WB had just bought the rights. WB got angry and said the school couldn't do it, so the school wrote to JK personally. Not only did JK say that WB were being ridiculous and gave permission to the school to do the show, but she came and visited the school and had lunch with the leads (I was very jealous of my friend).

So I don't know . . . i want a few more details before I get mad at JK.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Wow...That is just awful, I bet they do go after really cool costumes next. That is just awful...:(

ETA: I hope that it's just her publisher. Like Toothpaste said it very well could be. :tongue

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
the problem with copyrights and trademarks is that you have to vigorously defend each incident or later on the courts will decide that you didnt protect it enough and you've lost the right to use it exclusively. So it was probably more a legal maneuvre than anything.

Nestle lost the exclusive right to tollhouse after the courts decided they didnt fight each incident of its unauthorised use. I'm sure Rowling's lawyers advised to to file the suit irregardless of how she or they might have personally felt about it, as a move for future possible infractions.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
If anyone wants to make a parade float based on my book, or a pandal, they have my permission.

And, I would totally want pictures. With costumes.

Because it would be awesome.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
the problem with copyrights and trademarks is that you have to vigorously defend each incident or later on the courts will decide that you didnt protect it enough and you've lost the right to use it exclusively. So it was probably more a legal maneuvre than anything.

Nestle lost the exclusive right to tollhouse after the courts decided they didnt fight each incident of its unauthorised use. I'm sure Rowling's lawyers advised to to file the suit irregardless of how she or they might have personally felt about it, as a move for future possible infractions.

That makes sense Nevada. I think you're probably right. :)

Pyre

That's true for trademarks. It is not true for copyrights.

CandlestickJay

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I hope it was just a legal maneuver and not the lawyers itching to do something. I mean, seriously, as if the whole "Dumbledore is gay" thing WASN'T getting her a billion hits on the internet already - they have to go and sue somebody to do more?

On a different, but still Potter-based note -

anyone gonna go visit the Harry Potter theme park in Florida?

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
So I don't know . . . i want a few more details before I get mad at JK.

I agree. I mean, it just doesn't seem like something she would gladly do, you know? She supposedly even enjoys her own fan-fiction.

And, Toothpaste, thanks for the story. It's going to be my candy-sweetness for the day, my long-distance telephone commercial. It made me go, "Awe!"

Notebook

Registered
Reaction score
...the whole "Dumbledore is gay" thing...

This really ticked me off. It had nothing to do with the storyline. It wasn't pertinent information. It wasn't pivotal. It didn't belong in the books and, in return, I lost respect for her.

I could vent a lot more, but you get the idea. It's things like this lawsuit and other hyper-ridiculous things like not being able to say the words SUPER BOWL on tv without paying for the rights. Same goes for the song Happy Birthday. ($5,000 to be exact.) Can't sing it on tv with paying for the rights. There IS such a things as getting too rights happy.

Last edited:

Notebook

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I mean, it just doesn't seem like something she would gladly do, you know? She supposedly even enjoys her own fan-fiction.[\quote]

Not according to quotes in interviews. The whole reason she contemplated killing off Harry in the final novel was because she's dead set against anyone continuing to write about Harry after she's gone.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not according to quotes in interviews. The whole reason she contemplated killing off Harry in the final novel was because she's dead set against anyone continuing to write about Harry after she's gone.

As if that would stop fanficcers. If someone wanted to ignore that, they certainly would--and an entire subset of fandom would grow around Harry not dying to support it and it could even become more popular than the "canon" of him dying. If she'd done that, of course, which she didn't.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
This really ticked me off. It had nothing to do with the storyline. It wasn't pertinent information. It wasn't pivotal. It didn't belong in the books and, in return, I lost respect for her.

Really? She was just answering a question a fan asked her, it wasn't like she wrote an essay on the subject. As writers we know so much about the characters we write and yet don't share everything with the reader. And actually I disagree, I think it explains a lot about his relationship with that evil wizard who's name I can never spell but it starts with a G. But it doesn't really affect the novel at all true, I just think it's interesting. If she had revealed he'd had a secret female lover that had nothing to do with the story, would you have felt the same way? Were you also just as upset to learn Neville wound up marrying Hannah Abbott? I mean that isn't pertinent either, doesn't belong in the books and has nothing to do with the storyline, but she shared that info as well.

TrickyFiction - I'm glad you enjoyed the story! When my friend told me that I was SO JEALOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.