Homage/Influence

Status
Not open for further replies.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Recent events and my WIP have coincided (funny how that happens, lol) and I have a question about paying homage to certain authors and their affect on culture, compared to "stealing lines".

How much is (or is any) too much? I will explain the thought that brought this on, so that maybe it is more clear.
In my regency era novel there are multiple murders, and the main motivation is inheritance. While writing the "murderer revealed" scene, I was sorely tempted to have an MC mutter "And then there were two." Obviously this is not a historically relevant quote, as my story is set long before Agatha Christie, but it is a sign of how pervasive such a phrase has been, and her impact on me and my writing. So...where does homage begin and end, and where does plagiarizing pick up? Is a line, both acknowledging their influence and greatness, a tribute, or is it stealing? Just curious what everyones thoughts are.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A well known line, a character name, a setting can be homage.

Your entire prologue, not so much.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
ha! that sucks...I had this David Gemmell chapter in mind...
I never thought about the character name route..that's a good idea though. I search endlessly for the perfect name for the MCs, and then my secondary characters get relegated to the "whatever I can think of or name generate quick enough that I have no intention of using soon for any type of story" pile.

Esopha

bam pow zap.
Registered
Reaction score
The phrase "grand theft equestrian" in Blue is a direct homage to Terry Pratchett. It's his kind of joke.

I always think it's fun to see an author insert tidbits from well-known works, although sometimes it comes off as cutesy. I also like it when authors allude to historical events or people, a la Libba Bray's Untouchables.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
One of my characters quotes Shakespeare. *runs screaming from the kiss of death*

Another of my characters talks about an Iron Butterfly song. Later, she thinks about Blake's Marriage of Heaven and Hell, and a line is quoted in her thoughts. Yeah, I think like 1 of 10 beta readers got that. The rest thought it was a typo. *sigh*

In the end, I'm seriously considering taking out the Blake and the Shakespeare, but the Iron Butterfly stays. :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! Leave the Blake and Shakespeare. Writer geeks will love it and we buy lots of books. :D

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
Oh no! Leave the Blake and Shakespeare. Writer geeks will love it and we buy lots of books. :D

I would love nothing more.

When I wrote the Blake piece I was wallowing in my own genius, as the MC is torn between two men, but trying to ignore one of them to be faithful to the other. Well, her lover really pisses her off with his jealousy problems, and so she storms off to seduce guy #2 thinking about the "sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires" line from the Proverbs of Hell in the aforementioned Blake work. Of course, kicker is, she's in Hell at the time. :D

Now, I'm not so sure about it, but maybe I'll leave it, and if an agent ever looks at it, perhaps he/she will like it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.