plan on or plan to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
My mom called this afternoon with a question that I couldn't answer. Which is correct - plan on or plan to?

As in:

I plan on going to the movies tonight.

or

I plan to go to the movies tonight.

or even

I am planning to go to the movies tonight.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'd accept all three examples. To me, "plan to" means I intend to perform the action. "Plan on" seems like "count on", meaning I intend to perform the action but furthermore I intend to do something else which depends on the action being completed.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to go to the movies./I'm planning to go to the movies. => Yes, I intend to go to the movies.

I plan on going to the movies. => Yes, I intend to go to the movies, but I'm also depending on going to the movies. Because I'm "planning on it", I need it to happen.

Better?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. I guess. Sorta maybe.

:D

So:

My husband and I are planning to go to Mobile, AL for our anniversary. (This means we're booking hotels, looking at the budget etc.)

My husband and I are planning on going to Mobile for our anniversary. (This means we're counting on it happening.)

Is that it, do i get it?

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
To me, there are slight difference.

"I plan on going to the movies" means you're counting on it but there's a good possibility you won't go, depending on situations.

"I plan to go to the movies tonight" means you're actually making plans to go. There's a good possibility of that happening.

"I'm planning to go the movies tonight" means it's just a preliminary idea, and you're still thinking about it.

My mom called this afternoon with a question that I couldn't answer. Which is correct - plan on or plan to?

As in:

I plan on going to the movies tonight.

or

I plan to go to the movies tonight.

or even

I am planning to go to the movies tonight.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I think so. For me, "plan to" implies intent, but "plan on" implies a finished action.

I plan to go to college. => I want to go or I intend to go, but I might or might not have started applying.

I'm planning to go to college. => "am planning" implies the action is ongoing, so I've probably started looking.

I plan on going to college so I can get a better job. => The point in this statement is the future event. "Going to college" is done so I can "get a better job", but there's no indication in just this statement about where I am in the process.

ETA: cross-posted with Maestrowork, and I'd like to second what he said. "Planning on" to me also implies uncertainty. "I'm planning on going to the movies" also implies "but if someone give me a better option, I'm open".

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Plan

"Plan to" and "plan on" are not interchangeable.

If both must be used it should be as:

I plan to buy a car tomorrow.

I plan on buying a car tomorrow.

In any use, as Sandi LeFaucheur says, "plan on" is really a colloquialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.