Which modern vampire tale made in the 80's is better?

Lost Boys or Near Dark?

• Lost Boys

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Near Dark

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Hands down, Lost Boys. It can not be beat. And I find nothing crappy about it. Been a glorious fan for 13 years. http://www.geocities.com/fromtwilighttonight/thelostboys.html Yup, even got a site about it too. The Lost Boys is a godsend to the 80s. Oscar-winner it is not, nostalgic and chock full of 80s camp, yes! I actually just went to Santa Cruz this past July, where they filmed. Loved it!

Reaction score
I've never even heard of Near Dark.

Lost Boys is definitely in my top 5 vampire fillums, though.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think Near Dark's aged a little better, it gets my vote.

Me & a friend were watching Lost Boys the other day and giving it a pretty good MST3K treatment. It's a good flick for what it is, and not meant to be taken terribly seriously, but it feels a tad extra-dated in places.

And K Sutherland yelling "You're dead meeeaat!!" might make the Top 10 list of Mainstream Horror Movies Unintentionally Hilarious Moments.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've never heard of Near Dark either.

And I own Lost Boys but can't recall when I watched it last. Not even sure who Jami Gertz is. In fact, the only reason we own the movie is because it has my wife's favorite Kiefer Sutherland in it. Which is strange because she doesn't even like horror movies.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
As much as I loved the movie, I couldn't help but mock it. You know the Horror Movie Survival guides that are out there? I ended up writing one for TLB just because my friend put the idea in my head and I couldn't get it out. http://www.geocities.com/fromtwilighttonight/fanfiction.html It's the fanfiction section of my website but the survival guide is there. I got some pretty good feedback on it. But it certainly is a mockable movie!

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Funny. Before I opened this thread I was ready to add Near Dark. I've seen them both, and enjoyed them both but NEar Dark was so raw and gruesome in places. A group of nomadic vamps cruising around in a sealed-up Winnobago slaughtering all in their path. It wasn't glamorous, stylish, romantic - it was just bloody gross!

The bar scene where Bill Paxton slits throats with his razor boot spur stuck in my head. And did everyone forget Adrain Passidar? He was the clueless kid that got swept up with the band of bloodhounds.

Pike

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit! I should have left a space for people who have not seen Near Dark!

I chose Near Dark because I think it holds up better. I like Lost Boys, but if I didn't remember it from when it came out, I don't know if I would think it was very good. I didn't see Near Dark when it came out because I didn't know about it. But it's so awesome. I love the title. It suggests a modern Vampire western.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Those who haven't seen Near Dark, go rent it. Today. Now. Perferably within the next five minutes if you don't want us vampiric freaks calling you rude names.

I like both, but agree ND has aged better. Ah, the 80s.

What? You haven't gone to rent the movie yet? Weinerheads. :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
The bar scene where Bill Paxton slits throats with his razor boot spur stuck in my head. And did everyone forget Adrain Passidar? He was the clueless kid that got swept up with the band of bloodhounds.

Adrian Pasdar and Bill Paxton? How is it that I've never seen this movie???

*hopes it's at Blockbuster*

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Oh good lord. Has all the creativity in Hollywood been leeched away by soul-suckig aliens? Why can't they just let the sleeping dog lie?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Tough choice, tongue-in-cheek comedy vs. horror chiller.

I like the instrumental + kids choir opening of Lost Boys but I can't usually watch beyond that, sure it was fun first time round but it seems so twee now.

Near Dark's different, it's still scary and re-watchable. See Jcomp's comments above (to save me from typing much the same thing).

-Derek

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Definitely Lost Boys (Jason Patric and Kiefer are hot in this movie, along with the vampire with the long black hair - OMG!) and a good soundtrack, especially Cry Little Sister and People are Strange.

Although, my favorite vampire movie is Underworld.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
A 'modern vampire tale' thread that doesn't mention Martin?
No way I'm posting here!

Oh, you said 80's, not 70's. Sorry, carry on.

I've never seen Near Dark. But The Lost Boys didn't do much for me (mostly because of the kids.)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Well, guess what. I'm one of the few people in the United States who's never seen Lost Boys. Oh, I KNOW about it, I've just never seen it. And I've never heard of Near Dark.

Now, if you want a GOOD vampire movie that was made just outside of your criteria, try Love at First bite, 1979, with George Hamilton. Awesome flick. Just watched the first half tonight.

allen

Nolita

Registered
Reaction score
Lost Boys because I'm an 80's kid. But Near Dark is a way better movie overall.

Watched Lost Boys again not too long ago and David's hair simultaneously made me cringe and feel nostalgic. That's not easy to do. So bonus points to Lost Boys, Joel Schumacher, and Kiefer Sutherland's former coiffurial(I know it's not a word but it should be alright?) glory.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
Now, if you want a GOOD vampire movie that was made just outside of your criteria, try Love at First bite, 1979, with George Hamilton. Awesome flick. Just watched the first half tonight.

allen

Agreed - Love at First Bite is good and funny.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Lost Boys kicks ass hands down. In addition to the sexiness that is Kieffer Sutherland, you also have a broody Jason Patric, saucy grandpa, and the unintentionally comic wit of the two Coreys.

Viva la Frog Brothers!!