PDA

View Full Version : Horror Genre Writers

Bergerac
10-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Hmmmm... any disturbing trends in other genres?

Horror Writer May Have Dismembered Women

Cops Find Torso In Closet, Leg In Refrigerator, Draft For "Cannibalistic Instincts"

(AP) An aspiring horror novelist was arrested after police discovered his girlfriend's torso in his closet, a leg in the refrigerator and bones in a cereal box, the city prosecutor's spokesman said Thursday.

Nearby they found the draft of a novel titled "Cannibalistic Instincts," said the official, who spoke on customary condition of anonymity.

Jose Luis Calva told police he had boiled some of his girlfriend's flesh but that he hadn't eaten it, the spokesman said.

The official also confirmed other details released by the prosecutor's office Wednesday night: that body parts were spread throughout the apartment, and that Calva is being investigated in the deaths of three women whose mutilated bodies had been found in and around the capital.

The prosecutor's office said Calva tried to escape when officers entered his apartment, but was struck by a car and hasn't recovered enough for a formal statement to police.

Police had come to Calva's apartment Monday to investigate the disappearance of his girlfriend, Alejandra Galeana, a 30-year-old pharmacy clerk and single mother, according to the prosecutor's office.

The office said that parts of her dismembered body was discovered in a closet, the refrigerator and inside a cereal box.

Calva also is being investigated in the mutilation killings of an unidentified prostitute in April and an ex-girlfriend whose body was found in 2004, the prosecutor's office said.

Shadow_Ferret
10-12-2007, 08:21 PM
There's a thread in the water cooler about this.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80397

Wasn't there a horror movie (probably several) about this theme? A writer staying at a cottage on a lake killed people in different ways so he could better write about the experience? I remember these women floating at the bottom of the lake.

Damian_Rucci
10-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Thats taking your writings to a whole new and very disturbed level of acting them out. Wow maybe the guy had some problems, well I guess he did.

Bergerac
10-12-2007, 08:36 PM
There's a thread in the water cooler about this.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80397

Wasn't there a horror movie (probably several) about this theme? A writer staying at a cottage on a lake killed people in different ways so he could better write about the experience? I remember these women floating at the bottom of the lake.

Hmmm, I remember one that starred Johnny Depp as a Maine-based writer? I think it was SECRET WINDOW... though I thought it had something to do also with an accusation of plagiarism... I just don't recall the details except I really liked the writer's retreat/cabin. Was that the one that you were thinking of?

Bergerac
10-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Thats taking your writings to a whole new and very disturbed level of acting them out. Wow maybe the guy had some problems, well I guess he did.

It makes you wonder if he was trying to suppress his urges by writing about them, or if he was inadvertently, or purposely, encouraging his urges by writing about them. Creepy.

Celia Cyanide
10-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm curious...how many times has this happened with a published writer?

Shadow_Ferret
10-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Hmmm, I remember one that starred Johnny Depp as a Maine-based writer? I think it was SECRET WINDOW... though I thought it had something to do also with an accusation of plagiarism... I just don't recall the details except I really liked the writer's retreat/cabin. Was that the one that you were thinking of?
No. I haven't seen that one yet. This was like a schlock B grade horror film. "The Lake" or "The Cottage" or something?

Soccer Mom
10-12-2007, 08:55 PM
The Cabin.

DonnaDuck
10-12-2007, 08:59 PM
No. I haven't seen that one yet. This was like a schlock B grade horror film. "The Lake" or "The Cottage" or something?

Is it bad that I know this? "Cabin by the Lake" with Judd Nelson as the main character. He's a scriptwriter, slightly on the sociopathic side, and "harvests" women at the moment of a lake, making his own body garden and ends up writing about it. There's also a sequel, "Return to Cabin by the Lake."

There's such a thing as researching for your book and going just a little too far. For someone to do this, the guy was messed up before he even wrote the book, had to have been. The horrific stuff I write, I have absolutely no desire to do any of it. That tweak needs to exist in his head before something like this happens and then it's triggered, either by his inability to control it anymore or by his writing. Either way, the guy's flucked.

Soccer Mom
10-12-2007, 09:02 PM
That's it. The Cabin by the Lake.

Shadow_Ferret
10-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks, ladies.

Say, I have this little research project I need help with for my next book...

donroc
10-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I'm curious...how many times has this happened with a published writer?

Mein Kampf????? :eek: