• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Harrison & Company Literary Agency (Sonny Harrison)

TerriLynn

Harrison & Company Literary Agency in Fulton, TX
(Dave?)
Asking for a friend.

Thx

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveKuzminski

Re: Anyone have info on this agency?

That's a new one on me. Don't have any complaints, either.

Located on an island in the US territory of the Gulf of Mexico? Um, yeah, we must have won that in the card game after the War with Mexico.

TerriLynn

Re: Anyone have info on this agency?

Dave go to our room...someone posted his website. (I told her to contact you directly...but....)

;)

KIM060405

Harrion and company literary agency anyone heard about them?

Anyone heard about them?
Thanks
kim

DaveKuzminski

Re: Harrion and company literary agency anyone heard about t

Do you have a URL or address on them?

XThe NavigatorX

Just my two cents...

They claim to have professional sales but they refuse to list them on their site.

Q. Do you give out information about some of your top producing writers?

A. Not in an open forum such as this. There are websites you can go to that, if you plug in the name of the author, the book, the publisher, and the agent you may find every detail related to a book’s sale, including the author’s real name (even if a pen name was used), their address, phone number, email address, and how much money was exchanged in the process. Once a person has that much information about an author, there is no limit as to what they can do to the author on a personal level. I prefer not to set my clients up for problems like that.

Q. Is there any way I can speak to one of your more successful authors?

A. Possibly. Once we have reviewed an entire manuscript from an author, completed a few back and forth conversations, determined their material is appropriate for us, and offered them a contract to represent…if they wish to communicate with a couple of our better known authors, we will arrange it – if the better known authors agree.

This is a tad ridiculous, especially since this is the most important thing to look for when finding an agent. That doesn't mean they aren't telling the truth, but it sure seems fishy to me.

absolutewrite

Plus, first two statements are utterly wrong:

"Are you developing a stack of rejections
taller than your computer? And, did you know the probability is very high that these mounting rejections have very little to do with the quality of your work? It can be excellent and never catch the attention of a publisher...because, if you are making the submissions yourself, they probably never get to a publisher's desk."

They're not supposed to get to the publisher's desk. They're supposed to get to an acquisition editor's desk-- and they will, if they're any good.

"Blunt Fact: The vast majority of commercial publishers – the ones that will pay you for the right to print and distribute your book - will not give your work any consideration unless you have a Literary Agent representing it."

Blunt Lie. The vast majority of commercial publishers will be happy to read ANYTHING you want to send them if you give them some kind of proof that it's any good. That is, send them a stellar query letter. That's all it takes. I don't care what their "official" policy is or what it says in Writer's Market. Send a query straight to an editor who you've researched and who you are targeting for a reason. Make it a great query.

I've now sold twelve books. Agents represented three of them. Translated: I sold nine books without a literary agent. I had two or more offers on several of those books. Perhaps twice ever have I had a query returned supposedly unread with a note about company policy.

Utterly silly that the agency doesn't list their authors and books. Doing so would NOT encroach on their privacy in any way. If anything, it would help them get publicity that every author needs.

DaveKuzminski

Harrison, not Harrion

Ah, this is the same agency that I've remarked upon elsewhere. It's situated on an island in the Gulf of Mexico. There are plenty of red flags, but nothing concrete upon which to give them a negative recommendation.

lastr

Re: Harrison, not Harrion

It's situated on an island in the Gulf of Mexico.
According to the registrar the website was set up 6/28/04 and the IP Location: US(UNITED STATES)-FLORIDA-MIAMI so he must live on the Keys.

James D Macdonald

Re: Harrison, not Harrion

Based purely on what I see on their web page:

Not on a bet, not on a dare. Save your time and energy and postage for a real agency.

DaveKuzminski

Goodbye Harrison, Kay, Titsworth, and Helping Hand

It was a team effort among all us watchdogs.

Thank you, Ann, Victoria, Jenna, Angela, James, and everyone else who provided information and took part in exposing this.

PJ Price

I want to know of Harrison & company

It was in August of 2004 I sent my childrens story manuscript to Harrison and company. I spoke to Mr. Harrison about it and they accepted my story and were going to help me find a publisher. Well, It is now June of 2005 I kept telling myself to contact them on why it was taking so long to hear back from them. Needless to say I did mail 2 checks and stamps along with envelopes.Yesterday I received a package in the mail return to sender from the mail center in Atlanta Georgia.(the checks were not that much, proceesing fee.)
Luckily My checks and stamps were inside along with my manuscript. I tried calling his office, phone service not available. I came online to check his web site, you can't get through. You are right about the Island they supposedly lived or live on, Maybe.I have decided to go through with my story with a reputible company through readers digest writers yearbook. My advice to writers make sure you have your work copyrighted, like I have because I have saved everything and copies that I have as proof and protection.
My conclusion of all of this is scam!!!! but not sure why I got everything back. This has not made me discouraged it has only made me try harder and watch carefully and read up on everything to keep my work protected. Good luck to all who want to become Published Authors. "Never give up always go forward."
Sincerely,
PJ Price
P.S. If anyone finds out what happened to this company I would like to know.
thankyou