PDA

View Full Version : Bye-Bye Herman and Howie!!

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 12:07 AM
"I have two handsome steers," I did boast,
To Herman and Howie a toast!
They liked gardens, not grass
Were a pain in my a**,
Now they're burgers and steaks and some roast!

:e2cry: Sorry, but I have to do something. The knackerman is here, and it was either try to convince myself of this or sob like a blubbering idiot!! Who the heck cries over a beef cow anyways!! (except that they alway came running to see me to get fed, and liked it when I scratched them behind the ears, and knew their names, and had those big beautiful brown eyes...) I think I want halibut instead.

Haggis
10-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Porterhouse, please. Medium rare.

Thank you.

JLCwrites
10-12-2007, 12:13 AM
:cry: Sorry!
:Hug2:

Angie
10-12-2007, 12:14 AM
We were always forbidden to name the livestock for this very reason. Once it's got a name, it's got a personality, and you think of it more as a pet than as food. And yeah, you can get attached to a beef cow...especially when you raised it from a tiny calf.

Too bad one of them wasn't named Pete, though. Then, when you were getting ready to eat your lovely roast, you could say "Okay, everyone: Eat Pete."

*ducks the tomatoes*

davids
10-12-2007, 12:14 AM
It is all good in the hood dear mary-as my buddy the Hagster says-Porterhouse anyone?

You know what and how I think-HIC-luv ya Dave

Susie
10-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Bet you treated them great, Reign. That's a super poem too!:)

NeuroFizz
10-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Raise pigs next time. They're not nearly as cute. And...you get bacon.

davids
10-12-2007, 12:28 AM
Raise pigs next time. They're not nearly as cute. And...you get bacon.

YYUUUMMMM AND AAARRRGGGGHHH DROOL-BACON-et tu Herman!!!!???

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Now that 'the guy' is done and gone, it's a whole lot easier to deal with. The thing that annoys me the most is I was the one who gave the lecture to everyone else in the house: always remember that the purpose of these critters is to spend the winter in the freezer, so don't get attached! What a dummy I am!

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 12:38 AM
We were always forbidden to name the livestock for this very reason. Once it's got a name, it's got a personality, and you think of it more as a pet than as food. And yeah, you can get attached to a beef cow...especially when you raised it from a tiny calf.

Too bad one of them wasn't named Pete, though. Then, when you were getting ready to eat your lovely roast, you could say "Okay, everyone: Eat Pete."

*ducks the tomatoes*

I can think of worse things to name them!!:D

writerterri
10-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Dinner at your house!

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 12:40 AM
They dressed out at a really good weight though!!
hmmmm, barbeque at my house anyone??

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Dinner at your house!

HEY!!!! JINX!!!!

Haggis
10-12-2007, 12:48 AM

*ducks the tomatoes*

I helped a friend name his chickens once. Stew was delicious.

davids
10-12-2007, 12:49 AM
I helped a friend name his chickens once. Stew was delicious.

YUK YUK YUK YUK---HIC!!!!

MidnightMuse
10-12-2007, 12:49 AM
More power to you - me, I can't eat anyone I knew.

writerterri
10-12-2007, 12:52 AM
HEY!!!! JINX!!!!

I'm on the first flight to your house!

writerterri
10-12-2007, 12:53 AM
More power to you - me, I can't eat anyone I knew.

You knew her steers?

Small world.

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 12:56 AM
you guys are so bad!!

writerterri
10-12-2007, 12:57 AM
Snot I.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-12-2007, 12:58 AM
I can't even eat a lobster I have to pick out at a restaurant. (No offense, Davids!) I do not want a personal relationship with my main course. :(

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 12:58 AM
Porterhouse, please. Medium rare.

Thank you.

Okay, tough farm-raised Canadian girl here!!! Is there a northern translation for porterhouse, cause I've never heard of it or had it before!!

rhymegirl
10-12-2007, 01:00 AM
I can't even eat a lobster I have to pick out at a restaurant. (No offense, Davids!) I do not want a personal relationship with my main course. :(

Oh, I was gonna say this too!

I can't eat anything that can stare back at me.

joyce
10-12-2007, 01:06 AM
I give you so much credit for being able to do this. I've always said I wanted to live on a farm. I know it would be an unreasonable dream unless I want to feed every animal I own and keep it till it falls over from old age. I know I could never eat anything I knew. I love meat as long I never meet it.

JLCwrites
10-12-2007, 01:13 AM
I have a rule. Don't eat anything I couldn't kill. Which is why I stick to spiders and bugs. ;)

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 01:23 AM
I have a rule. Don't eat anything I couldn't kill. Which is why I stick to spiders and bugs. ;)

Yeah, but they are so hard to barbeque -- they keep falling through the rack and get instantly charred!!!

Susie
10-12-2007, 02:49 AM
They dressed out at a really good weight though!!
hmmmm, barbeque at my house anyone??

Yummy, Reign. Wish you lived close by. I can practically smell the beef acookin':)

Angie
10-12-2007, 02:52 AM
My grandfather (dad's dad) named a steer Hardy once.

So, at the dinner table, he could say "Okay everyone, eat Hardy."

Real jokester, my grandpa. :ROFL:

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 03:26 AM
My grandfather (dad's dad) named a steer Hardy once.

So, at the dinner table, he could say "Okay everyone, eat Hardy."

Real jokester, my grandpa. :ROFL:

:D so the apple didn't fall far from the tree, hey!!!!

Haggis
10-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Hey, reigning. I found a t-shirt for you.

http://rdr.zazzle.com/img/imt-prd/pd-235553606821877934/isz-m/tl-dead+cow.jpg

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Hey, reigning. I found a t-shirt for you.

http://rdr.zazzle.com/img/imt-prd/pd-235553606821877934/isz-m/tl-dead+cow.jpg

I LOVE IT !!!!! Thanks so much!!!!! Now for sure you get the best steak!!

joyce
10-12-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm afraid to ask...........did you have them for dinner tonight? I don't have a clue about slaughtering and dressing anything but a deer/wild hog, so I have no idea how long it takes from pasture to plate.

Angie
10-12-2007, 06:14 PM
:D so the apple didn't fall far from the tree, hey!!!!

No, there's a definite sense of smartassedness that runs in our family. My mom's side is just as bad, so I'm twice blessed. :D

Duncan J Macdonald
10-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Okay, tough farm-raised Canadian girl here!!! Is there a northern translation for porterhouse, cause I've never heard of it or had it before!!Here ya go:

WordNet (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/wn.html) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=porterhouse&ia=wn) - Share This (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/porterhouse#sharethis)
porterhouse
noun large steak from the thick end of the short loin containing a T-shaped bone and large piece of tenderloin

davids
10-12-2007, 06:54 PM
BURP-had a Porterhouse last night-its name was Burt!!!!

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm afraid to ask...........did you have them for dinner tonight? I don't have a clue about slaughtering and dressing anything but a deer/wild hog, so I have no idea how long it takes from pasture to plate.

The meat has to hang for a couple of weeks, then will be cut and wrapped, and then let the bbq begin.

Oh, and there was actually one baby bigger than me over this whole thing. I thought youngest son would be devastated, but he took everything in stride. What a kid!! However, DH was totally shattered by it, and he wasn't even here!!! :Shrug:This morning he was actually saying that we should think of something else for the field, because he never wants to have to go through this again. Go figure!!

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Here ya go:

WordNet (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/wn.html) - Cite This Source (http://dictionary.reference.com/cite.html?qh=porterhouse&ia=wn) - Share This (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/porterhouse#sharethis)
porterhouse
noun large steak from the thick end of the short loin containing a T-shaped bone and large piece of tenderloin

Thanks very much!!! Yup, we'll have those!!!! LOTS, because we have two cows worth!!!

Jaycinth
10-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Next time name the beef 'Jeff' we had a consultant named Jeff.

A real slime ball, that one.

I would love to see him knackered.

(I'd even grill him for you, if I weren't sure he was full of turpentine...)

reigningcatsndogs
10-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Next time name the beef 'Jeff' we had a consultant named Jeff.

A real slime ball, that one.

I would love to see him knackered.

(I'd even grill him for you, if I weren't sure he was full of turpentine...)
This would give the experience a whole new spin!!

joyce
10-12-2007, 11:53 PM
Your new avatar makes me want to take a bath.

reigningcatsndogs
10-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Your new avatar makes me want to take a bath.

Yeah, Bubble bath Boy is pretty special!:D The world would be a very clean place if there was more of him!

reigningcatsndogs
10-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Yesterday morning, Herman and Howie came home.

Last night, we had the best damn steaks I've had in years. :D(I thought of you, Haggis -- wish I could send you some, cause I got lots here!). The only thing that would have made it better would have been if #2 son had quit asking if it was Herman or Howie on the plate. (for the record, it was Howie.)

The butcher (yeah, despite the new regulations here, we did find one) said it was the nicest meat they had seen go through there in over a year, they were perfectly finished, not fat but beautifully marbled, and dressed out at 300 lbs a side.

So, we will probably do this again next year, and I will probably be heartbroken on The Day, but now I know I can get over it.

JLCwrites
10-25-2007, 07:31 PM
You are tough as nails! I could never do it myself! Were they Kobe beef cows? I hear those are supposed to be the best. (Turkey - not a red meat eater.)

reigningcatsndogs
10-25-2007, 07:43 PM
You are tough as nails! I could never do it myself! Were they Kobe beef cows? I hear those are supposed to be the best. (Turkey - not a red meat eater.)

No, MINE are the best;). H&H were red angus, which are honestly excellent beef cattle. (Mary - who is thinking of raising turkeys as well next year!!)