Draft Al Gore!?

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Well, the nobel prize will be awarded tomorrow (10/12) and Gore stands a very good chance of winning, according to the polls. That said, there is a strong current of Draft Al Gore (algore.org) followers based on the possibility that he will win the peace prize, and then onto a White House run ... what do y'all think?

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Would anyone other than Leonardo DeCaprio vote for him?

Why on earth would he win the nobel prize?

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Were it not for all the bullshit he'd have to go through again -- which he doesn't seem inclined to want to do -- I'd love to see him as president. I voted for him happily in 2000 and would do it again. I have my points of disagreement with him, and there are areas where I feel he falls back too quickly into nanny-statism, but he's whip-smart, has a knack for understanding issues that will affect people down the road, and would probably be a very good president. If it doesn't happen, all the best to him in private life.

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
I think it's a little naive to think that a bunch of signatures and a NY Times ad will push this man to run for President. He really does sound tired of politics for now, and is doing everything he can to promote a shift on climate change policy around the world. If he wins the Nobel, I'm sure he'll just look at it as a bigger platform to speak from.

That said, I signed the petition yesterday.

Couldn't help myself.

Run, Al, run.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
no way.

he has no machinery in place to make a successful run at the primaries. hillary would make him her bitch.

this ain't jesus riding into jerusalem on an ass on a path of palm leaves...

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
no way.

he has no machinery in place to make a successful run at the primaries. hillary would make him her bitch.

this ain't jesus riding into jerusalem on an ass on a path of palm leaves...

Hillary is a DLC hack. Al Gore is to the left of her. She wouldn't stand a chance.

Rule of thumb, Haskins. Most Democratic voters don't like Dems who act like Republicans.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i hope he runs, if only to have a real-time, living and breathing testament to what a total political neophyte you are.

let the games begin.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Hillary will be the nominee.

If Hillary says "jump" Al says "How high?"

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Hillary is a DLC hack. Al Gore is to the left of her. She wouldn't stand a chance.

Rule of thumb, Haskins. Most Democratic voters don't like Dems who act like Republicans.

Explain, then, why she's currently beating the hell out of Obama, Kucinich, Edwards and Dodd, all of whom are to the left of her?

The fact is, at this point in time, Al Gore wouldn't have a chance, for the reasons Haskins stated. Now, if this was a comparatively weak field, with, say, the best candidate being Edwards, I can see an 11th-hour run from Al Gore being a potentially successful one. But Hillary is way too strong a candidate at this moment, and it's hard to see anyone - less someone who is not in the race -- overtaking her.

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
Explain, then, why she's currently beating the hell out of Obama, Kucinich, Edwards and Dodd, all of whom are to the left of her?

The fact is, at this point in time, Al Gore wouldn't have a chance, for the reasons Haskins stated. Now, if this was a comparatively weak field, with, say, the best candidate being Edwards, I can see an 11th-hour run from Al Gore being a potentially successful one. But Hillary is way too strong a candidate at this moment, and it's hard to see anyone - less someone who is not in the race -- overtaking her.

Name recognition mostly. And she's got a real machine going. However, polls do not translate to actual votes and most people like me aren't that happy with her. She acts too much like a Republican, especially on the economic issues.

If Al Gore ran, she'd have some serious opposition. He'd give her a run for her money.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Goodness. Al Gore is not going to run. He's having too much fun now, especially if he does win the Nobel. Money, fame, and gets to do whatever he wants. Why would he want to have that thankless job in the White House? I wouldn't, if I were him. And I think he's just about as smart as I am.

Last edited:

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone going to say what Al is going to win the Nobel prize for?

Evidently it's a pretty damn big secret whatever it is.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Hilary is only as popular as she is because of Bill. Without him she'd be another Kucinich. She's a user and it clawing her way to the top. As a registered Democrat I find no commendable candidates on the Dem side. I'm more apt to support Rudy or McCain than Obama or Clinton. Should Edwards keep pushing and by a miracle of god pull ahead of Hilary, I'd like to him him win, or Biden but what ruined it for Hilary and Obama for me was when they started mudslinging each other a year ago. Children.

As for Gore, he's expressed repeatedly that he doesn't want to run for president again (after getting bitch-slapped by the Supreme Court when they said, 'yeah, you won but we're going to give it to the other guy instead,' would you want to run again?) and wants to focus entirely on environmental reform. He feels he could do a greater good where he stands now than as president. Besides, I think Bill's head would explode if Gore entered the race. Gore's so much cooler by Hilary still has that legally binding marriage license thing with him and the interns just don't see it in him anymore.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Hilary is only as popular as she is because of Bill. Without him she'd be another Kucinich.

Uhhh, no. Hardly that.

I'm more apt to support Rudy or McCain than Obama or Clinton. Should Edwards keep pushing and by a miracle of god pull ahead of Hilary, I'd like to him him win, or Biden but what ruined it for Hilary and Obama for me was when they started mudslinging each other a year ago. Children.
Besides, I think Bill's head would explode if Gore entered the race. Gore's so much cooler by Hilary still has that legally binding marriage license thing with him and the interns just don't see it in him anymore.

Wait, Hilary is reprehensible, but Rudy is not??? RUDY?

InfinityGoddess

Goddess of Infinity
Registered
Reaction score
Website
infinitygoddess.net
you're saying that hillary has more name recognition than al gore.

really?

that's what you're saying?

really?

Re-read my post. She has more recognition than those other guys. Not Al Gore.

I'm more apt to support Rudy or McCain than Obama or Clinton.

Um, McCain is a neocon nut. Rudy is an even worse authoritarian than the Shrub. Are you absolutely sure you want to pull the lever for those guys if Hillary gets the nod?

Last edited:

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
no. you re-read the poll i posted.

how do you explain, in polls that list him as well, the fact that she utterly kicks the shit out of him?

xhouseboy

In the Yellow Woods
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Name recognition mostly. And she's got a real machine going. However, polls do not translate to actual votes and most people like me aren't that happy with her.

Then why did you suggest that folks should weep when you posted a link to a poll that showed the Dems were way out ahead of the Republicans, even if you had just plucked it blindly off Google without checking the dates.

Does someone else post for you now and again? If so, you want to start some sort of system, perhaps by keeping notes and sharing them. Or at the very least, go back over each other's posts.