William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
"Writing as a special talent became obsolete in the 19th century. The bottleneck was publishing."

That bold statement came from Clay Shirky when I interviewed him for the NeoFiles webzine back in 2002. I never got around to asking him if that was an aesthetic judgment or a statement about economics and social relations.

But here's a contrasting viewpoint. Novelist William Burroughs met playwright Samuel Beckett, and after some small talk, Beckett looked directly at Burroughs and said, propitiously, "You're a writer." Burroughs instantly understood that Beckett was welcoming him into a very tiny and exclusive club — that there are only a few writers alive at any one time in human history. Beckett was saying that Burroughs was one of them. Everybody writes. Not everybody is a writer. Or at least, that's what some of us think...

Now the web — and its democratizing impact — has spread for over a decade. Over a billion people can deliver their text to a very broad public. It's a fantastic thing which gives a global voice to dissidents in various regions, makes people less lonely by connecting other people with similar interests and problems, ad infinitum.

But what does it mean for writers and writing? What does it mean for those who specialize in writing well?

the article goes on to interview several writers on the subject...

http://www.10zenmonkeys.com/2007/10/05/is-the-net-good-for-writers/

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get most of that article. None of them really said anything. It seemed like they were afraid to criticize the internet.

I'll never look at the internet in the same way after reading Andrew Keen. I think he's gotten it right, though it's not a popular view.

The internet's capacity for and encouragement of stupid far outweighs its handiness in researching, submitting, etc.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think the new ways of distribution (Internet, etc.) makes it easier to disseminate information and provide a needed alternative for writers to let their voices heard, much as YouTube has become a hotbed for amateur videomakers and entertainers to find an audience or how Podcasts, etc. provide an outlet for musicians and content providers (news, commentaries, etc.). Blogs, for example, have become a valid source for news and opinions (and a major force in recent elections) and well-respected bloggers have become sought-after journalists.

But distribution alone doesn't make one a "writer" or "musician" or "filmmaker." The WWW as we know it has been around for about 15 years now and there are billions of sites out there and a wealth of information even Google can't completely catalogue, but that doesn't mean quality. If we follow the argument that "everyone writes, but not everyone is a writer" (I know, we've discussed this very thing not long ago), then it is not distribution that matters, but the content and its quality. After all, we all know about the slush pile -- and the Internet, IMHO, is the world's largest slush pile.

What the Internet means, though (along with podcasts, YouTube, etc.) is an alternative venue and a potentially wide distribution for quality work to get through the bottleneck (traditional publishing). Quality still counts, but there are more opportunities now, and more ways for artists to find their niches, whether they are local dive bars for your garage band, or MySpace for your writing -- if you build it (and if it's not crap), they will come.

Last edited:

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh.

From the article:

The book industry isn't what it used to be, but I don't blame that on the internet. It's really the fault of media conglomeration. Authors are no longer respected in the same way, books are treated more like magazines with firm expiration dates, and writers who simply write really well don't get deals as quickly as disgraced celebrities or get-rich-quick gurus.

This makes it harder for writers to make a living writing. To write professionally means being able to craft sentences and paragraphs and articles and books that communicate as literature. Those who care about such things should rise to the top.

But I think many writers — even good ones — will have to accept the fact that books can be loss-leaders or break-even propositions in a highly mediated world where showing up in person generates the most income.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
Sigh.

From the article:

That idea in particular, is such BS. I don't know why everyone is so "cool" with it. It's the lamest thing ever.

The good thing is that people who make such idiotic claims about the future are always dead wrong. But it's still scary to think about writing for free and having to sell your personality instead of your work.

Writers are not experts. I really don't care what their opinions are, and sure as hell would not pay for them. I will pay for their stories, though.

In this utopia these postmodernists propose, amateurs who push the right buttons can be millionaires without a shred of actual ability, or having anything interesting or new to say.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The Net

I think the internet has proven beyond doubt that there are still only a few writers alive at any one time in human history.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It seemed like they were afraid to criticize the internet.
That makes sense to me, though. The internet is like the most amazing city, and with an unparalleled public transportation system - culture, information, achievement, technology is yours in an instant. And, like any city, it's riddled with slums, gangsters and litter.

As far as arts and the internet go, I love it and hate it. The ready access to wonderful talent is thrilling. But sometimes the net effect is of a neverending American Idol audition, with a parade of loons entirely sure that, because they possess vocal chords, they can sing.

I also think that the horse is out of the barn. Here we are until at least a technological apocalypse. It's handier to make the best of it and by 'make', I mean 'shape' the best of it, and keep nostalgia only for reverence's sake. Otherwise it's paralyzing.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it has been good for me. I don't think I would have found an agent and certainly not the agent I did find, without the net.

But to take it out of the trivial and personal, I think it is wonderful that many people who never would have tried to write much beyond a grocery list are beginning to explore storytelling because of the internet. Sure, much of it will range from not very good to downright awful. But it may still serve a useful and worthy purpose for the one doing the writing. They may be able to improve their writing because of help over the internet. And we may have new and great storytellers emerge because of the chances offered internet (but probably not too many...).

I'm tired of internet bashing. The tool is as good as the use people make of it (and as bad).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it has been good for me. I don't think I would have found an agent and certainly not the agent I did find, without the net.

But to take it out of the trivial and personal, I think it is wonderful that many people who never would have tried to write much beyond a grocery list are beginning to explore storytelling because of the internet. Sure, much of it will range from not very good to downright awful. But it may still serve a useful and worthy purpose for the one doing the writing. They may be able to improve their writing because of help over the internet. And we may have new and great storytellers emerge because of the chances offered internet (but probably not too many...).

I'm tired of internet bashing. The tool is as good as the use people make of it (and as bad).

Trouble is, most of them still can't write a decent grocery list, but they're flooding agents, editors, and the net itself, with grocery list writing.

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. (Now, where's my latest grocery list? Oh no! Why oh why didn't I find a beta reader? No wonder my husband came home with dog biscuits instead of Caramel Cremes!)

Status
Not open for further replies.