Did you ever write a story and become sexually interested in a particular character?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Of course, I could be lying.

I did once. I felt guilty for months.

How does one reconcile the lust of a story character that is part of our reality for a time? I find that sometimes I can become quite involved with my characters, but when is it that a line is drawn between these fictional individuals and our own individual realities.

What I mean is; did your character become more desirable than the real thing? What's more disappointing? Do we write about relationships that are much better than what we experience in real life?

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
when i was younger (re: unmarried) i used to get sexually involved with all sorts of characters i invented. it's a natural thing, spooky. dont be ashamed. but its a little weird that you write it out.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Um, one of the only reasons I write is because I fall in love with my characters. I'm definitely attracted to my male MCs.

But more desirable than the real thing? Not once I had the real thing, no.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
when i was younger (re: unmarried) i used to get sexually involved with all sorts of characters i invented. it's a natural thing, spooky. dont be ashamed. but its a little weird that you write it out.
Well as it happens I did become involved with one of my characters. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I just didn't know how other writers dealth with this before.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I only write characters I'm sexually interested in in the first place

ottorino

Registered
Reaction score
I got a boner once while writing a scene between and alien mammaryte and my low-life protagonist. And I'm not ashamed at all.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I write dark fantasy, and if we're being perfectly frank, I always fall for the characters who are the worst of the bad guys. I think I'm the only person that has a thing for Az's Nicoli. The badder, the more irredeemable, the better. Rose can tell you the same thing. I like em evil. Just not in my house.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
can't say that i have. however, i was once guilty of putting a woman i was involved with in my story, which turned out lousy. and i did idealize her as a person and a lover.

but ive never really had any character sex involvement since, mostly because my characters usually end up unattractive-ish, existentially speaking (they're all damn good looking). my lack of arousal could be because i'm not a good enough writer to get that hot-n-bothered over a character, but also, when i see my characters with the surgeon's eye, see their needs, pain, pride and chaos, i have a hard time looking at them sexually through my own eyes.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
btw, since that lousy story (which was a novel) i haven't attempted a sex scene. that could also have something to do with it, but, come to think of it, writing a hot sex scene may be a good exercise for me these days. i just got done reading 100 yrs of solitude. i loved the way he wrote sex. turned me on over and over.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I've not become attracted to one of my characters, but I did get exceptionally emotionally attached (no, not like that, either...)

I once hated one of my characters so much for his actions that a fellow I worked with who "looked like him" became the object of my hatred. He walked up to me at work one day while we were waiting on an elevator and just said "Hi" to me, and I said, "Don't talk to me, D, I'm VERY mad at you right now." He wondered what he'd done, and I had the very uncomfortable job of explaining misplaced anger, and how he looked like a rather nasty character I was writing. He laughed it off, luckily.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I write dark fantasy, and if we're being perfectly frank, I always fall for the characters who are the worst of the bad guys. I think I'm the only person that has a thing for Az's Nicoli. The badder, the more irredeemable, the better. Rose can tell you the same thing. I like em evil. Just not in my house.

Yep. If I didn't fall for my characters, it would be impossible for me to write. I think of my writing as playacting: I am an actor playing every single one of them (well, except Loreena, I cannot stomach her). I have to feel their desires, all of them, sexual or otherwise. This is what makes me love my WIP so damn much.

And yes, some of those people are villains in the traditional sense of the word. Voyager, I don't think you are alone in falling for villains :)

Better than the real thing? This is the real thing. Writing is what we do.

Oh, you mean, better than the real life relationships? Nope. My RL relationships are cardinally different from what I write about.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Good heavens, I write my male characters with every single aspect of masculinity that turns me on. Otherwise, what's the point? So is it a good thing that I'm writing about a sarcastic fallen angel who has done very bad things yet is still redeemable PLUS wears his hair in a ponytail? My husband sure thinks so. :D

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
I have found one of my male characters attractive, but I find the idea of ONLY writing male characters who I find attractive very strange. That would make a pretty narrow range of characters in my books.

Mostly no. But there was that one exception. :)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, once. We tried to make it work--went out a few times, but I got tired of always being the one who paid. I broke up with him, but for some reason he was obsessed with what he saw as my stunning beauty and vivacious personality, so he started stalking me. He wasn't very good at it, because I could predict exactly what he was going to do next, but it was annoying enough that I considered changing my name and moving to another state. Then I thought, 'WTF?' and instead changed his name and moved him to another state. And gave him herpes.

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I think I'm the only person that has a thing for Az's Nicoli. The badder, the more irredeemable, the better. Rose can tell you the same thing. I like em evil. Just not in my house.

Nah, it's not just you. My husband would totally leave me for Nikoli if he was real. I can see him as a very hot, not so annoying Krishna. :D But anyway, yeah, when I say I love my characters, I mean it.

Luke and Azrael = <3

My husband knows where he stands.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well... this is a creepy subject.

I do find my female MCs attractive, but that is usually because the characters are based on a amalgam of I've known throughout my life that I wouldn't have minded ... um ... getting to know better. nudge nudge wink wink say no more

Wraith

The demon in your inkwell.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it does happen now and then. But I'm careful not to limit the character to only that - give him the sexy lines and all :D They still get to be disgusting and weak and do unsexy things because I know the crazy mixture of their souls and that's just how people are, many different things at once. On the other hand, there's a certain unreedemable demon whom I keep trying to draw. ;)

Sorry if I'm not making sense. Must get coffee.

Doodlebug

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mscottfiction.com
Well... this is a creepy subject.

Why?

Look at it this way, as a writer, don't you want your readers to identify with your characters? Don't you want your readers to care about what happens to the people in your book? Above all, characters must be real to your audience.

So if that's the case, why wouldn't you - as a writer - feel the same way? I believe that unless writers strongly identify with their characters in some way (feeling motherly/fatherly towards the children; identifing with the same sex main character; being afraid of the villian; falling in love with the - fill in the blank) the readers won't either. That psychic connection between writer and character is necessary because it breathes life into the story.

Yes, I suppose it can get creepy if those feelings spill over into everyday life. But that's the point of fiction - its fantasy. Many of us read it for the escape and many of us (myself included) write it for the same reason. It puts a gloss on the otherwise dull reality of things.

As for the real thing, well, it has the benefit of being real, doesn't it? I mean, you may be in love with your MC, but he's not about to make you chicken soup when you have a cold or be a dad to your kids or go to the movies with you. He's a just a figment.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I haven't fancied any of my characters although I did have a stirring down below when I read Starring Sally J. Friedman As Herself when I was 10.