How do subscribed threads work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katy

How do subscribed threads work? I've subscribed to a thread, and set it to email me when new posts show up. I got one email, but haven't gotten any others after that. There have been posts to the thread.

Is the feature not enabled, or did I set something up wrong?

Also, is there an easy way to change how you've subscribed to a thread (e.g. change from instant to daily or weekly notification, or turn notification off)? Or do you just have to unsubscribe and resubscribe with the new option?

Thanks!

Katy

PS Hope I put this in the right place.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Katy

To change the subscription type, go to 'List Subscriptions' in your CP, select the relevant thread by checking the box to the far right of the title, and click on the drop-down box entitled 'Selected Threads.' All of the options are listed under 'Update Subscription Type' - choose one and hit 'Go.'

If you've got it set to 'Instant,' I believe you'll only get notification when you're not signed in to the boards.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and :welcome:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You can use the "Thread Tools" or "Forum Tools" at the top of the post window to subscribe to a thread or a forum, respectively. You can then choose what kind of notification (email, no email) and frequency (daily, weekly) -- that's why I think you don't get more than one notification a day or a week. If you choose no email notification, you won't see it.

You can see all your subscribed threads and forums in your User CP. You can go directly to them, or you can choose to unsubscribe them.

Last edited:

Katy

Ah-ha!

Thanks for the welcome, three seven. I bet my problem is that I never actually clicked the "log out" button, just closed my browser when I was done reading.

That clarifies things.

Katy

Katy

Further Ah-ha!

I also need to work on my reading comprehension, I think, since the notify message says:

"There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

I guess that cuts way down on the mail this server has to send out.

K

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
When you subscribe to a thread it will email the first time a new post is made but won't email again until you visit the board to read. Logging out won't change it... at least I've never known it to change from it. Once you visit the board and read the new posts, it will reset and send another email with the next new post afterwards.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been around long enough that I should know this, don't you think? But I'm confused. Some threads to which I make a reply, I subscribe to. Some, I don't. What controls this? Is there something I can do, or not do, as I write and post a reply that will determine whether I subscribe to the thread?

Yes, I know I can go to my User CP and unsubscribe to my heart's content, but this takes a while and apparently must be done one thread at a time.

Thanks in advance for any illumination you can shed.

Maryn, who's apparently been living under a rock all this time

Status
Not open for further replies.