Have you ever been published without realizing it???

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I have!!! I... can't believe it. Some time (years?) ago, I sent a story for consideration in a literary e-zine. It was accepted for publication, but I totally forgot all about it. The other day, an aunt googled my name and commented that she was all excited that I had been published but she couldn't find my story.

I was so puzzled I googled myself and, behold! I WAS published by that magazine. Incredible. Absolutely amazing. Aaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! I'm so excited!!! I know it's LAAAAAAAAAAAATE for that but who cares!! I was published!!! Damn!!!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
And the publication never told you that they'd published your story? I hate when that happens.

I've had pieces accepted and I don't know until the magazine and cheque arrive in the mail. A little annoying to not be told, but I guess it happens.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Congrats!

To this day I don't know if I have a poem published or not. It was a big-distribution but non-paying market, and they asked me to make edits. I did and said, "is this being published?" Their response: Most likely, sometime, watch and see. :(

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Dama. Way2go! That happened to me in Lady's Circle Mag. Too bad it's not around anymore...

Last edited:

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
I also feel it's bad form for the publication not to have informed you that your story had been published. But hey, CONGRATULATIONS, anyway! :D

Sury

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Well, they MIGHT have informed me, but they sent me so many newsletters I just got fed up and deleted all of their stuff unread, so yeah, it must've been an error on my part :D Still exciting, even if it's a year after it happened.

joetrain

blank
Registered
Reaction score
I've had pieces accepted and I don't know until the magazine and cheque arrive in the mail. A little annoying to not be told, but I guess it happens.

isn't this what happens in heaven everyday?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, because in real life, not only do they forget to tell you, but they also don't send you copies and don't pay you even after you've sent them thirty reminders.
That sounds too much like the real world to me. Alas, I have only my fantasies about being published thus far.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Now this question has got me wondering if some of those maaaany submissions I've made over the years (and heard nothing about) have been published and I've had no idea. I google my name, so there's nothing online that I don't know about, but you never know about print!

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
I sent an article to one magazine that had, by this time, published maybe a dozen of my articles. My SASE was well known around the office. In succession, two different editors sent it back for revision and one rejected it. Finally, months later, they printed it without telling me or getting a contract signed or anything. Dangerous on their part, because I was actively submitting (and selling) work elsewhere.

It was obviously an oversight, but I love telling about my rejection that got published anyway.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Now this question has got me wondering if some of those maaaany submissions I've made over the years (and heard nothing about) have been published and I've had no idea. I google my name, so there's nothing online that I don't know about, but you never know about print!

It's possible. And scary. If you find 'em, sue 'em.

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Now that I think about it, another publication ended up printing an article I'd submitted after I'd withdrawn it for lack of communication. I didn't know it until I saw the check in the mail. That one worked out okay, too.