WB - or am I just crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I have always written, but I have never really been serious about it. I had a million ideas, and a million other things to do , and therefore only dabbled with a chapter or two. I would then edit those chapters until they were lifeless, and the story would die a slow, slightly forgotten death.

Recently, I found myself with a lot of time, and only one idea. I started banging out an outline, wrote a little, and then thought of a revised outline for the entire book (this has never actually happened, and I was quite ecstatic). Plot holes filled themselves, characters came to life, even secondary characters had robust histories and personalities. I sketched out architecture and room dimensions, wrote time lines and paired historical events with my own story. Yesterday, I hit 20,000 words of actual story and dialog, not just random musings of what they "might" do. 20,000 words, nearly in order, scene after scene that after rereading was STILL humorous, heart-wrenching, and sometimes even amorous. I WAS A GOD(DESS).

And then....
nothing.
At 20,001 words, not only am I stymied for things to write, but upon forcing myself I find the scenes lackluster and boring at best, and I have a deep, stomach turning fear that it is gone. It is all gone, NEVER to come back. I will not pick up the story next week, or even next month. I will NEVER be able to write about these characters, in this setting, ever again. The farthest I have ever gotten on a manuscript is NOT far enough, and it will never be far enough. PANIC!!!

So to keep this from being a rant, and actually providing something positive for myself and others, I would like to know:
Is this writer's block?
Was my previous assumption that it was just a lack of creativity to be solved with time and a crossword puzzle so simple as to be insulting? Is the true pain of writer's block not the actual inability to write, but rather the fear and panic that you might NEVER be able to write again? If not, does that mean I need clinical help? If so, am I doomed to be the next Henry Roth? (he had WB for 60 years)
And, to find the silver lining, does having 'writer's block' then make me a writer? :)

I would hate to suffer alone.
Please, post your own stories of WB. We can commiserate.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Some here don't believe in writer's block.

As for myself, I've hit that wall a few times. Sometimes I just sat stuck until my subconscious solved a problem I wasn't even aware of. Once that sticking point was solved the words started flowing freely again.

I also found that writing out of order helped. I'd have ideas for things further down the line and I'd write those scenes. Often writing something out of order satisfied the Muse and I was free to continue from where I had gotten stuck.

Don't stress. Stress isn't good. These things all work out in time.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
This may sound easier said than done, but I'll still say it...

Write. Write anything. Write total crap. Write a description of the weather, your pet, your dinner, your underwear. Write about anything at all and keep writing. Get to the point where it feels as natural as possible, look again at your 20,000 words impartially. Decide what you want out of that 20,000 words (do you want a novel, are you telling a precise story?) and go from there. If it means planning the story for a while before actually writing, then do that. If it means writing that same day, do it.

Give yourself permission to write crap. The important thing is to keep writing.

And prepare yourself for a certain Ms Peaches to tell you writer's block doesn't exist ;)

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to use my free time wisely. I needed to do some research on language and architecture (it is historical) and I hadn't spell checked once since I started. I am also using all the tips and tricks I can find.
- Get up, move around, do something different, go for a drive
- Write, write, write, write, write - regardless of quality
- 'reconnect' with your characters and the story. Reread your work, develop detailed histories and lives.
- Chopping
- Crossword Puzzle

I suppose my issue is more that I have never felt this panic before. It honestly never occurred to me that I would.
And just to argue with someone who hasn't yet appeared to argue (lol), but I currently feel WB is only a myth in the same way that Zeus's wrath is a myth. That's all well and good, unless you are currently being struck by lightning.

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I find that reading helps. A turn of phrase, a similar character or situation, anything like that can get me thinking about my own work in a different way.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Wall

It sounds like you've hit the proverbial 100 page wall. This wall sits most often at 20,000-25,000 words. It's been said there are more 20,000 word, dead-end novels out there than all the finished novels written since the world began. Probably true.

Of course writer's block is only a myth. If you have real writer's block, you couldn't have written the post you did. "Writer's Block" as we know it can be traced back to the first writer who suffered from it, and it's progression to current times can also be traced.

You are not being hit by lighting, and you are not suffering from writer's block. You're suffering from lack of interest, from being too critical of your writing, and most of all, from not sitting down and typing words.

I mean, really, you hit 20,000 words one day, and only twenty-four hours later you want to claim writer's block?

It's not gone, you are. The story is right there waiting for you. But you have to make the choice of finishing it. And choice is all it ever is. What, you think pro writers just sit down and the words magically flow out? You think we don't have times where getting the words down involves sweat and blood and frustration?

Who cares whether you think the scenes lackluster and boring? Who cares if they really are lackluster and boring? Writing them is still a choice, and still the way most of us work.

There is no evidence at all that Roth suffered from writer's block, and a great deal of evidence that he did not. Not writing does not mean one has writer's block. Not writing nearly always means a person does not want to work hard, and that's all it means.

Writer's block is an excuse not to write when things come hard. If you want to sit down and write, you sit down and write.

If you don't want to sit down and write, then you don't. And you shouldn't. There's little point in doing something you don't really want to do. But there's also no need for a mythical excuse like "writer's block."

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, 24 hours later, I am claiming block.
To base it in human nature alone, people do not panic fifteen days after something goes wrong, they panic immediately. And the panic is really what I am asking about. Whether or not others have felt that they might never "get it back".
I was consumed in this story. I ignored husband and family, phone calls and work, all because these characters were pounding at my head to be released. I devoted hours and hours and hours of my life to telling their story, and now I feel -abandoned-. I am not blocked from writing about other things, but I don't currently CARE about writing other things.
This (not a pro) writer sat down and for once the story magically flowed out, but that ended abruptly. And it is the abruptness that freaked me out. Mid scene, practically mid sentence, it was simply -gone-.
I understand plodding on, working hard, and working through it, but you can not criticize me for mourning, even immediately mourning, the loss of that magic.

On another note, I had never heard of the 'proverbial 100 page wall', which at least means that I might not be alone in my craziness. I might be relegated to the 'flash in the pan' pile, but at least I'm not alone.

Phew. And now my drama queen moment is over. Thanks, I needed that.

Last edited:

Mud Dauber

writing on the wall
Registered
Reaction score
I understand plodding on, working hard, and working through it, but you can not criticize me for mourning, even immediately mourning, the loss of that magic.
Of course not. We've all been there. Just like dealing with a death, people will tell you, "this too shall pass" but when you're in the midst of it, you can't fathom that will be the case.

On another note, I had never heard of the 'proverbial 100 page wall', which at least means that I might not be alone in my craziness. I might be relegated to the 'flash in the pan' pile, but at least I'm not alone.
You are definitely not alone. Not sure how long you've been lurking before you joined, but stick around. It's like one big group therapy session here.:D

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Quite Right, to all of it.

And I need the therapy and commiseration just as much as I need the slaps upside the head.

"This too..." shall be something I can look back and laugh about.

I must admit, I am also finding righteous anger to be a good muse. I believe I have a new villain in mind....me thinks his name shall be James Aritchie...

:) Just kidding...maybe.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've never experienced writer's block...so I have nothing to contribute here.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Although...I've been told I give a lovely slap upside the head? Just let me know...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Just keep writing.

Writer's block is totally mental, and if you get obsessed with and intimidated by it, it controls you.

So don't let it. Decide to keep writing regardless of whether or not you feel like it. Writer's block will leave you alone after ten or twenty pages.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
How well do you like your ending?

It sounds like you've plotting this thing out, done a rough outline, etc. Have you lost the passion to get your characters to some sort of resolution? If so, maybe it's because the ending has lost its sizzle.

The ending might be weak, or maybe you're just tired of it. If you can't make the ending better, try tormenting your protagonist more--emotionally torture him/her until you can't wait to get them to that moment of relief.

Works for me.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
It sounds like you've hit the proverbial 100 page wall. This wall sits most often at 20,000-25,000 words. It's been said there are more 20,000 word, dead-end novels out there than all the finished novels written since the world began. Probably true.

Of course writer's block is only a myth. If you have real writer's block, you couldn't have written the post you did. "Writer's Block" as we know it can be traced back to the first writer who suffered from it, and it's progression to current times can also be traced.

You are not being hit by lighting, and you are not suffering from writer's block. You're suffering from lack of interest, from being too critical of your writing, and most of all, from not sitting down and typing words.

I mean, really, you hit 20,000 words one day, and only twenty-four hours later you want to claim writer's block?

It's not gone, you are. The story is right there waiting for you. But you have to make the choice of finishing it. And choice is all it ever is. What, you think pro writers just sit down and the words magically flow out? You think we don't have times where getting the words down involves sweat and blood and frustration?

Who cares whether you think the scenes lackluster and boring? Who cares if they really are lackluster and boring? Writing them is still a choice, and still the way most of us work.

There is no evidence at all that Roth suffered from writer's block, and a great deal of evidence that he did not. Not writing does not mean one has writer's block. Not writing nearly always means a person does not want to work hard, and that's all it means.

Writer's block is an excuse not to write when things come hard. If you want to sit down and write, you sit down and write.

If you don't want to sit down and write, then you don't. And you shouldn't. There's little point in doing something you don't really want to do. But there's also no need for a mythical excuse like "writer's block."

I love you. I couldn't have said it better myself. I am one of those people that doesn't believe in writer's block but a lack of motivation. 60 years of "writer's block"? More like 60 years of an excuse not to write. If you really want to write, you'll write. So your flow ended. Big deal. It happens to everyone. I think it suffice to say that not every novel flows forth in one gushing torrent of inspiration. Flash fiction doesn't even do that (at least for me).

From what I've read of your posts, Witty, it sounds like you're aiming too high. You claim to have this brilliant story and now your work is seemingly lackluster compared to it. Aim lower. It's ok. I swear. And don't write when only inspired. Like what others have said, write whatever comes to mind. If you write nothing more than a sentence, at least you wrote that sentence. Good writing doesn't come immediately and more often than not the good books have been poured over laboriously for ages before they're "good." Your fear is hindering you. Stop it. If you don't it'll continue to overwhelm you and you'll continue to hide behind the facade of writer's block. You're not suffering from writer's block. You're freaked because your faucet was turned off. Just keep poking and prodding at it and it'll turn back on eventually. Really force it too. That's the only way to make it happen because it certainly won't do it on it's own. Suck it up and move on. You got lucky with a flow. Just be thankful you got that. Now the real work starts.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
No. I see writer's block as an excuse when you don't want to admit that you're no longer motivated to write whatever it is you're writing. If you admit that you're no longer motivated to write then you're over that hurdle of self-responsibility. One is taking responisbility that it's your fault that you're no longer writing, the other is putting the blame on something "seemingly" out of your control.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This may sound easier said than done, but I'll still say it...

Write. Write anything. Write total crap. Write a description of the weather, your pet, your dinner, your underwear. Write about anything at all and keep writing. Get to the point where it feels as natural as possible, look again at your 20,000 words impartially. Decide what you want out of that 20,000 words (do you want a novel, are you telling a precise story?) and go from there. If it means planning the story for a while before actually writing, then do that. If it means writing that same day, do it.

Give yourself permission to write crap. The important thing is to keep writing.
;)

DITTO

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
I understand the point about writer's block being some mythical construct to express frustration and lay blame for my own (apparently abundant) failings. I really do.
But in all of the "get over it and stop whining" realism you completely ignore the positive aspects of mythic constructs. Humans routinely turn to such ideas (i.e. religion) to allow them to more easily accept situations, to explain the inexplicable, and to then design rituals in which to affect said situation.
God throws lightning bolt at man - man begs forgiveness, wracks his brain over what he did to displease God - God commands him to stop touching the electric fence. (thinks so long and hard his subconscious supplies an answer) - Man is no longer struck by lightning bolts.
I get struck by Writer's Block - I freak out and panic - Seun advices me to write it out (stop being lazy and apply myself even when it is hard) - Writer's Block gone, font of magic writing ability restored.
the existence of Writer's Block is then moot, and all you have done is try to destroy my perfectly human response of self delusion and non-responsibility, while dispensing the same advice.

I am merely mortal...

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
You're broaching on a whole 'nother concept, whether this "Writer's block' is a thing smote down from the gods or imposed upon ourselves by ourselves. Considering I believe only we can harm ourselves, considering I accept personal responsibility for the fact that I just don't feel like writing this or that instead of being damned by some intangible being or some unknown reason, I still feel writer's block is self imposed not god-imposed. I am not going to place the blame on some deity when something bad happens to me. I believe in karma and if something bad happens then I did something to deserve it. What goes around comes around. I don't view such blocks as bad, just hurdles that you mange to jump over eventually instead of some spiteful entity damning me by wiping my brain of creative thought because of something I did that it deems wrong. I think it helps to not believe in god in order to bypass all of that, but that's just me.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
mmmm....I didn't mean to imply that I believed my WB was a judgment handed down from 'Above', just that such stark realism loses a sense of poetry and gains too much self flagellation while coming to the same conclusions.
You believe that X happens because of Y and you must do Z to get back to A.
I believe the same, but my X,Y, and Z might be a P, Q and R... Well, the point is that the advice is the same, whether or not you believe it is Writer's Block or a lack of motivation.
I guess the difference is in the flagellation...
And I suppose I much prefer someone else to flagellate me, lol.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Personally, I've always felt "Writer's Block" was just a fanciful term writers like to use, just as many of us refer to "The Muse" and other mythical entities that either aid us in our writing or what have you.

So if I want to say I'm struggling with something, why am I not allowed to call it writer's block? If I want to say I'm being inspired why can't I say its my Muse?

we're writers, aren't we allowed artistic liscense? If I said "I'm on fire" I'd hope you all would understand its simply a metaphor.

Or a simile.

Or an analogy.

Whatever.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
lol. I'm sure most writers have a bit of the masochist about them.

we're writers, aren't we allowed artistic liscense? If I said "I'm on fire" I'd hope you all would understand its simply a metaphor.

Exactly...and currently, I feel like my Artistic License has been revoked. Can anyone point the way to the DPC? The Department of Penned Creativity?

Maybe I was convicted of Writing without a License... Or maybe even Feckless Writing.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
The best away around feeling like you're feeling that I've come up with is to have at least two novels in progress at any given time. I work on one till I hit that wall...then put it aside entirely and work on the other one for a few weeks or months...then back to the first.

Doing this proved to me that I don't have writer's block; I just have so much enthusiasm for any one story before I have to let my batteries recharge. This is pretty consistent with my life in general - if I do ANYTHING too much I get sick of it, even the things I love the most. So after a while, I just have to do something else, until the first thing seems new again.

Edited to add: One of the upsides of this approach is that by the time you switch back to your other book, you'll have a fresh perspective on it, and can see what really works and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.