Ladies - I need to know abut aerobics.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

In my WIP a group of ladies go to an aerobics class. Only one has been before, it is new to the others.

I need to know the following:

1) What are the aerobic moves called? Step ups????????

2) I know there are a number of different styles these days. What styles?

3) What part of the body are they for?

4) How would newbies feel the next day? Stiff, ache etc? WANT to DIE??

5) What would a person wear? What are the clothes made of? Lycra?

Anyone got any funny stories about aerobic classes and would like to share, that would be great.

Thanks Ladies. (& gents!)

Kevvers

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
That depends on what class these women are taking. My gym offers step aerobics, body sculpting aerobics, kickboxing, beginner's step, etc.

see no 1 - there's usually something for everyone - from beginner to expert and for all different tastes. Some gyms offer pole-dancing (like stripper poles) aerobics classes (my gym doesn't, so I don't really know what's involved in that.)

Again, it depends. Cardio kickboxing is total body, but there are classes targeted for legs and abs and full body

This would depend on their fitness level to begin with. If they're former couch potatoes, they'd probably hurt all over. Your legs don't want to be more than an inch away from one another, your arms refuse to lift higher than your chest, it might hurt to bend over. You tend to find out about muscles you never knew you even had.

They would wear whatever is most comfortable. A lot of workout clothes are a lycra/spandex blend that breathes and wicks sweat away. Some people wear sweats and tee shirts. Shorts are good. Cross-training sneakers are probably best (they offer the most support and comfort for all of the bouncing around). Socks are a must.

Anyone got any funny stories about aerobic classes and would like to share, that would be great.
I almost killed myself in a step aerobic class once - missed the step. I'm not terribly coordinated and always seem to be doing the opposite of what the rest of the class is doing. They go left, I go right. I'm dangerous to anyone standing on either side of me. Not very funny, but it was enough to make me give up step and focus on the kickboxing (which is fun)

Hope this helps a little! :D

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

In my WIP a group of ladies go to an aerobics class. Only one has been before, it is new to the others.

They're called "steps" as in "dance steps". Technically, it's aerobic dance, although that term is no longer fashionable. Many of the steps take some concentration to learn, and are not as easy as they look.

Step aerobics, as someone mentioned, involve the use of a plastic step. They are more demanding aerobically, but perhaps not as graceful.

One very popular and distinctive "brand" is Jazzercise.

Most instructors will make an effort to involve all parts of the body, however, they are primarily aerobic, which means they involve the heart muscle. You also use the quads and arms quite a bit, to get the heart rate up.

Most instructors will encourage newbies to take it easy. They might have minor aches the next day, expecially quads and gluts. A total newbie who ignored the advice to take it easy would likely be very sore for a day or two afterwards. Even if you're a runner or swimmer, it's a different set of muscles. (BTW, aerobics instructors will deny this, but long-term, aerobics really aren't good for your knees.)

Outfits range all over the map, from paint-stained sweats or t-shirts and shorts to cute little lycra or spandex outfits with sports bras and shorts. Normally people who are better at aerobics, or who have been coming to class for a long time, have the cuter workout clothes.

Not funny, but here's an interesting fact. First-timers almost universially choose the back row. In fact, the participants will pretty much rank themselves, with the most experienced members in the front and those who are less fit, less experienced or less coordinated in the back.

Kevvers

You're welcome. But, Kevvers, this is sooooo easy to research. You can sign up for a single Jazzercise class. Many health clubs will also let you sign up for a single class, or take one for free to "test drive" it. There's a good chance that you won't be the only male in the group, and it's great first-hand experience!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Kevvers

FYI--I'm not sure if anyone calls them "aerobics" anymore. I usually hear them referred to as "fitness classes" or called by the specific class names. Ohters have told you about step classes. The class I take is called "core fusion" and it's more of a pilates/yoga-ish class with a barre. No bouncing or jumping is involved. Here is a link to the class I take: http://www.exhalespa.com/core_fusion1682.html

A newbie would WANT TO DIE, for certain. Your legs feel like jelly after the class. You can PM me if you want to know more.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Everyone else has answered most of your questions, but one thing missing is newbies really stand out in a class. A lot of steps have moves that regulars are familiar with, even if you're new to a specific class (grapevine, anyone?), and you can fall out of step pretty quickly if you don't know them. They tend to turn the wrong way, kick when everyone else is squatting, that sort of thing. Bumping into others happens a lot, too.

My most recent funny story is doing aerobics in spanish with my sisters-in-law. I know the moves but not the spanish names & I was all over the place!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was gonna say pretty much what Malanie said-there's always one or two completely out of step. It's always me. I never, ever, ever got the rhythm. I think some people just can't get it, LOL, I can't line dance either.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
I agree with WendyNYC about how people refer to the classes these days. "Aerobics" sounds very 1980s to me. My friends who are into taking classes at the gym will say something like, "I'm going to Bodypump tonight," or "My Pilates class kicked my ass." A lot of these classes are brand names now. They have very specific routines, and teachers go to standardized training courses.

I've been a newbie in various gym classes and dance classes, and it's ROUGH. In beginner classes, the routine doesn't change very much, so you have people in there who come every week and have the class memorized. They can do the steps without having to constantly watch the instructor. As a newbie, you have to keep your eyes on the instructor all the time, which is kind of awkward if you're doing floor exercises -- somehow, you have to tilt your head so you can see the front of the room. You're always a few seconds behind everyone else.

When I've been the newbie, I have left the class feeling SO embarrassed, but also really determined. "I'm going to learn these steps! I'm going to practice at home! And I'm definitely going to come back next week and do better!" And that's how you get hooked.

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
It hurts....it gives you buns of steel, it hurts, it gives you legs of iron, it hurts, and thats about it....it hurts. :tongue

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
"Aerobics" sounds very 1980s to me.

Yes, I was picturing shiny spandex thongs and leg warmers. Very Jane Fonda.

Most women in my class wear yoga pants and some sort of tank-ish top. Or a fitted t-shirt.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Only once did I attend an actual class with an instructor. Once. That should be enough of a description of how enjoyable it was for a newbie to the fitness world.

Immediately after the class I wanted to die. And I got charlie horses in my toes during the class. Horrible.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I would call it a Cardio class or Step Class. And if you haven't done it in a while, the next day sucks. Your legs feel heavy like someone filled them with concrete. Your butt hurts. Your calves scream if you go upstairs. Your thighs ache and are tight.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
My sports centre run a variety of 'fitness classes', but I do attend an aerobics class there.

This is a generic class that features a few minutes of warm-ups, then some high-impact cardiovascular moves, then some stretching on mats to work on tums and legs, and then some cool-down moves.

I will add a couple of points to what's already been said.

Firstly, only the serious fitness fanatics wear lycra, as it shows up all the lumps and bumps. Most women in my class are very self-conscious about their bodies and wear track suit bottoms and t-shirts. A couple of the braver ones wear cycle shorts.

I've been doing the class for a couple of years now, and I still get all the moves wrong. And yes, it hurts!! When I first started doing the class, I was getting stomach cramps for a couple of days afterwards. I guess it depends where your laziest muscles are (clearly abs, in my case).

I would go with the earlier suggestion that you should try a class out, to see for yourself!

Shara

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I took a class in college that incorporated a slide - you put on these slipper things and slide from side to side. Great workout, until you wiped out. And big groin-injury potential.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I was lucky -- or not.

A friend pressured me into joining an aeropbics class she'd been a member of for over a year. I went as a guest for a free session. Around me were severely overweight women in bad shape -- after a year! I wasn't overwieght and could dun up ten flights of stairs to work every day without getting out of puff. Needless to say, I didn't bother going back, and I haven't bothered since. Partly because of the following:

Funny incident? Didja know about the gas emissions which, according to the instructor, "proved someone was putting in an effort".?

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
WOW Ladies,

You girls put your selves through a lot.

Thanks for all the great info.

If the ground starts to shake THAT IS NOT an earthquake but me do the fitness class!!

Kevvers.