Can't think of the name for this piece of luggage....

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
I remember my grandmother owned a set of luggage. The smallest piece was an oval-shaped case with a lid and a handle on top that she would put her makeup and toothbrush in. She would carry this with her when traveling. I'm drawing a blank as to what this piece of luggage was called. I keep wanting to say 'toilet case', but have no idea. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
I knew it as a vanity case.

Just looked on ebay to check--they still make them, but they don't look quite the same as the one your gran had! I always wanted one. And no, I'm not as old as your gran! :)

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I keep wanting to say 'toilet case', but have no idea. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Perhaps a toiletry case? Which is for all of your toiletries, or in English, those things you keep in the bathroom to make yourself nicer such a toothbrush and all those other goodies.

Renee Russell

Registered
Reaction score
I've also heard these referred to as a 'train case'

Renee

julie thorpe

Registered
Reaction score
I had one, in New Zealand in the late fifties. I was in my early teens and thought I looked just the bee's knees. We called them 'train cases' and I use to clip it on the back of my bike with my lunch in it when I went to my Saturday job. Feels like a century ago. (What's that you say? A half century? Is that all?)

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm. I have heard of round luggage being called a "hat box" or "hat box style luggage." I think that can mean the larger round pieces, though. I vote for vanity case, then.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My vote is for vanity case. I remember seeing them listed that way in the Sears catalog when I was a kid. I think my mom had one, too. Opened with shelves in it, like a tackle box, and had frilled, satin pockets around the perimeter, inside. And a mirror glued to the inside of the lid.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
My grandmother was from Tennessee, and she called it a "train case." That may be a southern thing, or it might be a generational thing. When my grandmother was young, train travel was common. FYI -- this piece was like a carry on bag is today. When you were on a train, especially a sleeping car, you carried your makeup and toiletries in this case(and perhaps a nightgown), so you could look well-groomed when you arrived the next day.

Hat boxes tend to be round, while train cases are oval in shape.

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.vintageluggage.net/ has lovely photos of old-fashioned luggage. Might be worth checking out for further research. Maybe hide your credit cards before heading to the site -- the bags are truly lovely.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to bother me because I'm pretty sure my mom used a different name..something very luggage-like.
Maybe it was just 'cosmetic case'..but it seems there was a more formal name.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
My mother called it a 'train case'. This was in small town Canada in the '60's and I'd never seen a live train. But there was a 'train case' in the set of luggage she'd taken across Canada in the '50's. Rectangular, with rounded corners and a padded satin lining. With little interior pockets and fabric covered elastic strips for holding oddments.

TB4me2000

scribbling in the deep south
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brittanymtaylor.wordpress.com
My mother had a 'train case'. She was born in Atlanta, if that helps at all, and has lived in the South all of her life. Her old one was peculiarly similar to a construction helmet. Hard and very orange.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
We called them "cosmetic cases". They also had mirrors on the inside of the lids so you could freshen your lipstick & powder your nose. I think some of them had little battery operated lights in them. Does anyone out there remember lights (besides me)?

I grew up in Oklahoma & California during the 60s.

Judy

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think some of them had little battery operated lights in them. Does anyone out there remember lights (besides me)?
Yes-my step-mom had a one with a light. And I think maybe she did call it a vanity case -not cosmetic case as I said earlier.
This was in Wyoming.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I saw 'train case' I wouldn't have a clue -'vanity case' at least helps identify what it is.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Thanks all for the suggestions! For now I went with 'train case', as that seemed to get more votes on this thread, but I like Bufty's point about a reader unfamiliar with the terms at least being able to guess with 'vanity case'.

If anyone's interested, this is in a scene I have posted over in Historical SYW.