PDA

View Full Version : No-diaper babies?

JoNightshade
10-10-2007, 01:35 AM
Adorable photos of Little PeeDee have inspired me to post this as a discussion topic. I've been married for almost two years, so the question of childbearing and rearing comes up quite a bit these days. Of course we've got our strategies all planned out. ;)

One of the things we'd planned to do is not use diapers. Like, any diapers. Most moms in China don't. Basically the way it goes is that when they're tiny-tiny, you just put a rag under them. When they get slightly bigger, every time they go pee you take them to a little bucket or the toilet and hold them over it, legs spread. You make a little "pss" noise or something. After a while, the baby starts to get it and when they look like they need to go, or a sufficient time has elapsed, just holding them out and making the noise will prompt them to eliminate.

When the kid starts walking, he wears split pants so he can just squat anywhere convenient. Of course the most convenient is for the kid to tell you they have to go and you get to a toilet, but if they can't make it in time they can do it under a bush or on a piece of newspaper or whatever. (Yes, like a dog.)

As a result, kids are potty-trained way earlier than they would be if you had put them in diapers, because the kid stays in touch with his bodily functions from the beginning. (Whereas diapers encourage them just to forget it.)

This seemed pretty awesome to me, and I paid a lot of attention to how it was done when I was living there. I think it would be a big huge money saver, not to mention good for the environment.

So recently I started googling to see if anyone else was doing this and if I could find some tips.

I didn't find much, but what I did find is that apparently, to most Americans, this registers as totally disgusting and the only people who do it are super wacko environmentalists.

I'm not a super wacko environmentalist, and I'm not keen on other people thinking I am, but...

Well, what do you guys think? Is this nutty? Would you find it disgusting? More disgusting, say, than people letting their dogs poop in grass and then scooping it up?

J. Weiland
10-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Sounds like an awful lot of trouble and time-consumption.

We're sticking with the diapers, I think.

I'm saving the environment through other channels.

JoNightshade
10-10-2007, 01:38 AM
I should mention that I'll be a stay at home mom, definitely. So 95% of the first 3 years of my kids life will be spent with me.

scarletpeaches
10-10-2007, 01:38 AM
I'd find it unusual but good for you for having (or planning to have) an environmental baby. :D

This reminds me of my gran telling me about the time she took my uncle Robert to nursery when he was a year old. The nanny said, "But Mrs ------, we only take children who are potty-trained."

She said, "Yes. He is."

"But...he's only a year old."

"Yes? What's your point?"

"How did you manage that?"

"Um...I'm his mother. I trained him."

JoNightshade
10-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Yeah, see, that's my other thought. The kid will be potty trained WAY earlier than the norm, which will ultimately save me time and be much more convenient.

scarletpeaches
10-10-2007, 01:42 AM
Is a year early? In my family it's the norm. I was out of nappies and toilet trained by a year, eighteen months for sure.

Oh, and for all those who say terry-nappies are a lot of work? BABIES are a lot of work, y'damn fools! My mother (eighteen when she had me, a single mum) managed, and she only had twelve of the things. She was proud of the fact she washed them quickly after use, and on the day I was potty-trained, they were as gleaming white as when she'd bought them.

MidnightMuse
10-10-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm not a parent, so feel free to ignore my question - but I'm wondering what about visits? Going to the mall with the baby? Going to the grocery store? Visiting friends or family?

I'm assuming that avenue wouldn't allow for diapers at all, meaning no "going to the grocery store, here, put this on" type of thing?

Sunkissed27f
10-10-2007, 01:48 AM
ARE YOU NUTS!

Living in China is VERY different than living in the US.

Chinese houses are so much more open!
And for their baby to just "go" some where may not result in a citation from a disgusted law officer.

What about when the baby sleeps.....the baby will roll around in excrement.

Double yuck!

This also means baby wont go anywhere....I mean butt naky baby pooping in the car seat....in the grocery store.....in the restaurant......etc etc etc.

I mean it wont start taking effect probably until they are 3-12 months old.

Good Luck!

ETA:
You make a little "pss" noise or something. After a while, the baby starts to get it and when they look like they need to go, or a sufficient time has elapsed, just holding them out and making the noise will prompt them to eliminate.

Clapping my hands worked for my dog!

scarletpeaches
10-10-2007, 01:51 AM
I've always leaned towards the idea of terry nappies. Yes, they're a lot of work, but so are babies. And when it comes to environmental damage done through using a washing machine...well, my mother had a technique which meant she could wash them by hand. I won't go into detail here, but PM me if you want to know. It worked for her.

Sunkissed27f
10-10-2007, 01:53 AM
Here a nice read for you..pro's and con's.

http://oz.plymouth.edu/~megp/webct/culturalconflict.htm

JoNightshade
10-10-2007, 01:58 AM
ARE YOU NUTS!

:D Maybe?

Living in China is VERY different than living in the US.

Chinese houses are so much more open!

Well, obviously it's different, but I'm not sure what you mean by "open." I don't get how that translates to better for no diapers???

And for their baby to just "go" some where may not result in a citation from a disgusted law officer.

What about when the baby sleeps.....the baby will roll around in excrement.

Double yuck!

Okay, I'm going to give the "Chinese" answer here... they would argue that putting a baby in diapers is basically sitting in your own excrement 24/7. Talk about gross! Not having a diaper and just cleaning it up after you go is much better.

This also means baby wont go anywhere....I mean butt naky baby pooping in the car seat....in the grocery store.....in the restaurant......etc etc etc.

You would think that, but that was not my experience at all. When the baby goes out, mothers just take a cloth with them and put it under or wrap it around the baby. Later it gets disposed of or washed, sort of like a cloth diaper. By the time the kid can walk, he/she is potty trained. I saw more kids than I can count running around with split pants (which by the way are adorable when they fall down and this little baby butt pops out...), but relatively few of them were just pooping anywhere. Most of them were well enough trained that they just told mommy they had to use the bathroom. The split is for convenience (kid doesn't have to figure out how to unzip) and the rare emergency... which all kids have when they're going through potty training!!!

See, I think people are paranoid that the kids are like going poo and pee everywhere, but they really don't. Kids don't want that all over themselves any more than you do.

scarletpeaches
10-10-2007, 02:00 AM
I mentioned earlier that my gran potty-trained my eldest uncle by the time he was a year old. She did it by letting him run around the house naked. :D Whenever he grabbed his 'winkie' as she called it, she'd ask him, "Do you need the potty?" and he'd nod.

I asked, "What if he needed to go...you know...?" and she said, he would sort of squat a bit, LOL. As his mother, she knew the signs and always kept an eye on him.

PeeDee
10-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Some batty friggin' lady at a class explained this option to us with huge excitement, while mostly I just looked baffled. It's not a bad idea, I guess, in theory...but I lump it together with baby sign language in the "parents in need of a hobby" category.

Which is not to say I'm including you in that or anything. :D

JoNightshade
10-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Here a nice read for you..pro's and con's.

http://oz.plymouth.edu/~megp/webct/culturalconflict.htm

Hey, thanks for that article! Very interesting, and I agree with most of her points. However I think it actually reinforces my desire to try this method. It may not be "culturally correct," but it's more in line with my idea of motherhood and the mom I want to be.

nancy sv
10-10-2007, 02:09 AM
I've lived in third world countries for most of my adult life and have seen this a lot!! I'm not sure how well it would work here in the USA though. In Ethiopia (we lived there for 7 years, my boys lived there until they were 4 1/2), they do mostly the same thing you described. However - it never gets "cold", so the doors were open all the time. The kid learned early on to just head outside. Here, (at least in Idaho where I live) it is COLD in the winter and I don't want my doors standing open.

In Ethiopia, kids didn't really use a toilet until they were two or three, about the same time I got my kids out of diapers. Until that time, they just headed outside to do their business. So - do you want pee and poo on your bushes and grass? Are you OK with the kid peeing on your clothes all the time? (Yes- that's what Ethiopian mothers did - they just accepted that they would have peed-upon clothing for a year or so.)

That being said, it sounds like you know and understand the consequences and are willing to take that on. It'll work - it'll just be "ucky" for a while.

Hillary
10-10-2007, 03:32 AM
I'm just terribly interested to see if/when you change your mind on this. Kudos if you stick it out, but I don't know how long I could go having a child urinate and defecate on me. I've smelled one too many baby diapers to ever want to encourage a situation where that stuff gets smeared on me.

Siddow
10-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Hey, I used diapers and my kids crapped on the couch, the carpet, the beds, etc. anyway, so go for it!

KTC
10-10-2007, 04:23 AM
What's a daiper?

KTC
10-10-2007, 04:26 AM
we used diapers when our kids were young. it was too easy. having kids...little little kids...is constant work. taping a diaper on and tearing it off and tossing it was just too easy. we were more concerned with time economy than saving landfill sites at the time. we would do the same thing if we were insane enough to do it all over.

KTC
10-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Hey, I used diapers and my kids crapped on the couch, the carpet, the beds, etc. anyway, so go for it!

i liked when they took them off and painted pretty murals on the wall...the curtains...the furniture. what a pretty wake-me-up!

JLCwrites
10-10-2007, 04:39 AM
It is very admirable of you to have a desire to help the environment through lack of diapers. I had many ideal views of parenthood, until I had children. :)

There are some disposables that are biodegradable, and some that have a disposable liner that you flush.

Keep your mind VERY open with child rearing, breast feeding, even birth options. (ie, epidurals, home births, etc..) Children have a way of throwing a wrench in even the best laid plans. Consider your ideals for parenting as... "guidelines" and be prepared to adapt as needed.

(If you try this method of potty training and it doesn't work out, don't ever feel like you failed. Being a parent is all about learning from experience.) :)

WendyNYC
10-10-2007, 04:40 AM
By all means, JoNightshade, give it a try. If it's important to you, don't let other people tell you that you are crazy. However, don't feel that you have somehow failed if it proves to be more difficult than you can handle. I was really, really hard on myself as a new mom and wanted everything to go just so. It doesn't. And that's ok.

JLCwrites
10-10-2007, 04:48 AM
we used diapers when our kids were young. it was too easy. having kids...little little kids...is constant work. taping a diaper on and tearing it off and tossing it was just too easy. we were more concerned with time economy than saving landfill sites at the time. we would do the same thing if we were insane enough to do it all over.

He brings up another point here too. You may want to use the time you would be spending washing diapers, doing other more fun stuff like going for walks, art projects, or getting in a short nap. (trust me, with little ones, you need all the extra time you can get!) :)

BTW, I don't think you are crazy. It's worth trying if it is important to you. Go for it. :D

Now I gotta go and make dinner! Have a good evening!

Siddow
10-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Most moms in China don't. Basically the way it goes is that when they're tiny-tiny, you just put a rag under them.

If it's a boy, this won't work. :D

KTC
10-10-2007, 04:56 AM
oh...i hope i didn't say i thought you were crazy. i don't. i salute you for even considering it. i just remember the diaper monologues. diaper diaries? whatever. I remember those days as a blur really. and when you have one in diapers and one in organized sports...whoa...gets to be even more fun. you're changing diapers on your knee at the karate class wondering if you're going to get to the parent/tot swimming lessons on time. diapers were the last things on our minds. i was thankful that disposables were created. if you can do it that way, i applaud you. and i wish you all the best.

KTC
10-10-2007, 04:57 AM
If it's a boy, this won't work. :D

i recall getting peed on...actually once it went right over my shoulder and landed on the folded laundry...a full load of it. you have about 2 seconds to get the new diaper on sometimes or you're in a shower situation.

tjwriter
10-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Some batty friggin' lady at a class explained this option to us with huge excitement, while mostly I just looked baffled. It's not a bad idea, I guess, in theory...but I lump it together with baby sign language in the "parents in need of a hobby" category.

Which is not to say I'm including you in that or anything. :D

Not to detract from the diaper discussion, but the baby sign language thing is dead useful. It allows your child to communicate with you before language fully develops. Which, in turn, helps curb some of the frustrations a toddler feels from a lack of communication.

We taught Piper a few key words and it's helped a ton. The whole concept derived from deaf parents teaching ASL to their children so it's not a "diaper load" so to speak.

A. Hamilton
10-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Wouldn't putting a rag under him/her be very similar to using cloth diapers?
That's one way to be easy on the environment. I've seen many parents who leave pants off completely, at home, when they're toddling, which some say gives a more natural edge to potty training. Not my thing-it's messy and can be unsanitary- you'll have fewer guests willing to sit just anywhere LOL- but it's your choice as a parent. It's not common in the U.S, so be prepared for some odd looks and questions-but that shouldn't be what dictates your parenting choices anyway.
I used cloth diapers for my first child and a little while for the second, but after that, I ran out of time and energy.

Sarita
10-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Everyone I've talked to who's gone down a road like this with the goal of early potty training has said that it only resulted in a trained parent, not a trained baby. Mentally, most children can't conceive the whole "potty thing" until their at least 18 months, but normally 2 years. And Kevin makes a great point about having more time to spend with your baby. If you really like the idea, give it a shot but don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work. As with anything in your new parenting life, be flexible and be willing to give up your ideals for what works best for the baby.

To agree with TJ: Finn and I have been doing sign language for a while. Every sign we've introduced, he uses regularly. People remark constantly about his communication skills and his lack of crying. He can just tell me what he needs or wants: a diaper, milk, juice, fruit, if something hurts, if he's tired, if he just wants a cuddle, etc... It's amazing.

illiterwrite
10-10-2007, 05:42 AM
Well, I don't see "just squatting anywhere" as toilet trained. After all, they'll do the same thing in a diaper. My kid used to run under the table when she had to have a BM.

I have a friend who practices elimination communication (which is the same kind of idea -- get the kid in tune with his/her body), but of course she uses diapers when out and about. She started ECing her son when he was 4 months old -- so she'd try to read his cues and get him over a toilet. Pretty soon she was good at it, but he was just being his baby self and going wherever and whenever he pleased. She insisted it would lead to early potty training, but he took to the potty around 2.5 -- same as my daughter. For me, that just seems like an awful lot of work.

As for no diapers at all, good luck with that. You'll just wrap a cloth around the baby when you go for groceries? Or to the library? Babies don't have these nice solid turds -- they're quite runny (the poops, not the babies) and messy and sometimes explosive.

Soccer Mom
10-10-2007, 05:52 AM
FYI: There are public health rules that require a swim diaper before the child is allowed in any type of public pool or in the water park, etc...

I know that some poo gets outside the diaper, but the thought of having to clean a bed that has been peed in, pooed in and then wallowed in sounds pretty gross to me. I used diapers.

But try whatever you want to. There is no one magic answer for what works. But like others said, don't feel like a failure if it doesn't work out for you.

Arisa81
10-10-2007, 05:56 AM
I could never do the no diaper thing, but good on you for sure. Good luck.

I will definitely be trying out baby sign language though. I think it's a fabulous idea.

wordmonkey
10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I have seen arcs of pee that cleared a hospital-bed (one side to the other - my boys have healthy prostates). I have seen projectile poop that hit the three-feet blast radius. And this was just while changing a diaper. I shudder at the thought of that on a whole-sale level.

And then there is the nasty stomach virus that's been going around lately. I have never seen so much runny poop in my life as I have seen churling, like Niagra Falls in the rainy season, out of one small ass. The diapers couldn't handle it. We were having a hull breach on the lower-decks every couple of hours.

And that was WITH diapers.

I would ask how the chemicals you liberally apply to your carpets would impact the environment. The increased usage of paper-towels could also have an impact on the rain forests too.

My take, having gone through this twice with another trip to potty town on the horizon, best way to deal with the potty thing is to just leave it alone, drop hints, make the options available and let the kid do it by themself. Bigger deal you make of it, the bigger deal it'll be. And if you're gonna be home with the kid, what's the rush.

You wanna be good to Ma Earth, plant a tree every time it's the kids birthday.

Oh, and girls can fountain and explosive poop, just as well as boys.

Silver King
10-10-2007, 06:37 AM
Poor kids, poopin' and peein' all over the place, and that's even with secure diapers in place! After four, I can't count the amount of times we had to clean the child, and everything within at least a three foot radius.

The nice thing about having kids is that you know what to expect. The not-so-nice-thing about not having kids is that you have no idea what to expect. Oh, you think you do, but you don't. Later, you'll be swaddling your first-born in triple diapers from head to toe...and the mess will still find a way to squirt out all over the place. :)

Mandy-Jane
10-10-2007, 06:51 AM
The reality of having kids is so very different to the ideas you might have about bringing them up before you have them. No disrespect to you, but I can't think of a worse thing to do, and once your little one comes along, I don't think this will be very high on your list of priorities.

The_Grand_Duchess
10-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't know your particular situation but I don't think you really know what it's like to be home all day with a baby. I was a stay at home mom with only one kid and I was tired all the time and never got anything done. I can't imagine adding a lack of diapers to the mix. I'm not trying to be offense but being a SAHM is not exactly a walk in the park.

Although there are a few of those, you know, walks in the park.

wordmonkey
10-10-2007, 07:08 AM
Couple of serious points.

A baby will pee or poop, on average, every two hours. This is good, 'cos you need to feed 'em on that schedule, so you change at the same time. But that's a lotta pee and poop. Don't be fooled by the size. Babies are way bigger on the inside than they are on the outside. One of the curious theoretical-physics based things connected to tiny humans.

Also, babies REALLY like to be swaddled. It makes them feel warm and secure and helps adjust to the new roomy environment they just got dumped in. Imagine you're making a baby buritto, that's what they like. And now you just added poop and pee salsa.

And when you have cleaned up poop, the runny stuff babies have the export-market cornered on, you will see that just about the time you're finished with the last clean-up (even working as a team, you and sig oth) it's two hours later and the foutain it's a flowin'.

Wet wipes don't always cut it, and you just gotta hose 'em down.

Oh, and one last thing. Babies tend to relax when you feed 'em. They get all happy happy joy joy while they chug back that bottle. And the happy happy joy joy just spreads through their tiny little bodies. They get a nice mellow, spaced out expression (especially on breast milk - my nipples are still sore and I'm the Dad!) and that mellow relaxed feeling just seeps down that little pink body, until what you put in 'em two hours previous is seeping down your body as you nurse the little angle.

And the above is speaking from <SHUDDER> experience.

wordmonkey
10-10-2007, 07:19 AM
See, I think people are paranoid that the kids are like going poo and pee everywhere, but they really don't. Kids don't want that all over themselves any more than you do.

Er... actually little kids DO poop and pee EVERYWHERE!

THAT'S why you put them IN the diaper.

And anyone who has had kids will tell you that given half a chance, little kids like nothing better than to play with it, decorate with it, anything you can imagine and three you can't with it.

And the argument that you leave a kid in poop or pee 24/7 is just silly. You seen those fold-out tables in public restrooms? That's so you can change the diaper and avoid giving the kid diaper rash from being stuck in the stuff too long!

And they don't like it? It was obvious that our oldest had done a load many times, to the point where eyes were bleeding and lungs were collapsing in anyone down wind of him.

"Have you done a poop?" we'd ask.

"Nope! I fine," he would reply.

For a while we were convinced that he was gonna be a politician when he grew up. He could lie to your face without a blink and he didn't mind being ass-deep in poop.

JoNightshade
10-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone, for your feedback. I've found everyone's responses very entertaining. :)

Just to reassure everyone, no I am not gonna be psychomom, and if it doesn't work out I will in fact go to diapers. I like the idea of it, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Part of the reason I'm considering this is because we're thinking of adopting one of our potential kids as an older child from China, who will presumably already be used to this system. Well, either that or the Chinese orphanage style of just wrapping the legs together with ratty cloth.

Sunkissed27f
10-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Here's a thought....you adopt the child from China.....where he/she was potty trained to pop a squat and let it "go" when outside. Or what not.

What if they let it go....say in the parking lot (you will have to get those little doggy poop bags).

Or on the front lawn.....the park.....more doggy poop bags.

He/she will have it in their little heads this is acceptable because they were trained this way in China.

Nakhlasmoke
10-10-2007, 09:56 AM
JoNightshade. I know of someone who has adapted this method by noting at what times her kid was most likely to pass a motion (normally while she was breastfeeding) and having his bum over potty at that time. Seemed to work for her.

And I agree with Scarletpeaches, terry nappies aren't that huge a deal. I use them and I only have around twelve. I keep meaning to buy more, and then I realise I don't need to. they are really not as much work as people will have you believe.

Old Hack
10-10-2007, 03:18 PM
If I remember rightly (and I could well be wrong here), babies don't develop adequate sphincter control or real bladder/bowel awareness until they're at least 9 months old, so anything you do in the way of toilet training before that age is pretty much wasted energy.

We left our two in nappies quite late, and were very relaxed about the whole thing: and now, I'm pleased to say, ours are the only two boys in their nursery/school to never have had any little accidents. Not one. Hurrah! At least I did one thing right!

KTC
10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I'll tell you what we learned: Throw your first one away.

You make your mistakes on your first child...from changing the first diaper to kicking their ass to the dorm room.

We tried to toilet train our first too early. It only freaked her out, I believe. Our last child...we took our time and introduced the concept a little later on...he took to it almost right away.

wordmonkey
10-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I'll tell you what we learned: Throw your first one away.

You make your mistakes on your first child...from changing the first diaper to kicking their ass to the dorm room.

We tried to toilet train our first too early. It only freaked her out, I believe. Our last child...we took our time and introduced the concept a little later on...he took to it almost right away.

So sayeth KTC.

First one you'll read all the books about at every stage. You'll try this fancy idea, or that cool sounding technique. You'll wrap the little 'un in cotton-wool and rubberize every hard or sharp surface in your home.

And they will still scuff their knees or find somethig you never in a million years could have thought dangerous to scare the pants off you.

Then the next one come along and you realize that it comes down one basic thing. Catch 'em on the first bounce and you'll be OK.

Just remember that. Catch 'em on the first bounce. :D

KTC
10-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I have to.

So sayeth the monkey.

KTC
10-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Just remember that. Catch 'em on the first bounce. :D

I absolutely adore this advice. First time Moms and Dads should stick it on their fridge. Or use a magnet...it's hard to get stickers off the fridge. (peanut butter works, though...if you're hell-bent on stickers.)

tjwriter
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM
LOL, wordmonkey! There's some truth in that. I only have one, but I've tried so hard to be laid back. There are so many things you can worry, so I'm trying to focus on the things that are really important.

We're in the process of potty training that little sweet thang to your left. When she first started showing interest in what was going on on the potty (you can forget going by yourself ever again), we purchased a potty seat for her. Most of the time she would sit on her potty with her clothes on while we went.

Later she showed desire to go herself. We worked with her. The big secret is that she figured out how to fart. Which often would make her bladder let go too. She has pretty darn good bladder control now, which is nice.

We're not close to being done, but we have a pretty good handle on the basic concepts. She lets me know when her diaper needs changed and tells me when she's pooped and needs a change. It's made things nice and took some of having to guess and check out of the process.

WendyNYC
10-10-2007, 04:57 PM

Same experience here. I'm not sure why it was so important to me with the first.

The_Grand_Duchess
10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
My daughter doesn't use the potty. She likes to sit on the toilet. She's gone a few times. She takes of her diaper and lets us know she wants the toilet. Half the time she's already gone in her diaper but sometimes she gets there.

We're working on it.

C.bronco
10-10-2007, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't do it. If you have a boy, your walls will be decorated as well as his head. The key word here is "trajectory." Also, I have new carpets, and wouldn't risk it. Babies have the ability to roll and crawl off of rags.
Pampers. Desitin. Wipes. You can't go wrong.

DeleyanLee
10-10-2007, 05:47 PM
My kids are grown, but I work at a children's hospital, so there's many little babies in my day. I read some articles about this after some of the people at work were discussing it and thought it was interesting, if the parents had the time, the patience and the willingness to do it.

And then I walked into the ladies' room where a woman was holding her 3 month old girl as the baby peed in the only sink. And the mother was PROUD of herself for this accomplishment. And then she walked out after barely running water--didn't even use soap.

Sorry, but that one little incident has rather turned me totally off the concept.

C.bronco
10-10-2007, 07:07 PM
I think it's healthier to avoid obsessing over potty training. I went through the whole reward-with-stickers, "Let's send the pee pee home to the sewage treatment plant!" multi-potty seat set-up and, in the end, my son finished training when he was ready.

Nobody gets a prize if a child is potty trained by a certain age. There is no guarantee that completing potty training early is harbinger of greatness. Don't worry about it.

wordmonkey
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
As an unwanted addendum to Car 88's words of wisdom above, I think it's always good to remember that what's important to ma and pa, is usually of absolutely no consequence to jr at all. Generally, the more important it seems to the adults, the less interesting it is to the kids.

Finally I have found the best way to get a kid to ANYTHING at all is to expressly tell them NOT to.

In fact our middle kid is not big on veggies. If I tell him to keep away from MY special veggies, or his Mom offers to sneak him some of Dad's special veggies, he'll go for it and then take great delight in telling me what he just ate. As long as I milk the righteous indignation he's happy. And eating veggies. I tell him to eat them - simply not gonna happen.

Storm Dream
10-10-2007, 09:11 PM
i liked when they took them off and painted pretty murals on the wall...the curtains...the furniture. what a pretty wake-me-up!

Oh, my god, I think I did that as a baby. :o

scarletpeaches
10-10-2007, 09:12 PM
That's nothing. KTC still does it as a grown man.

KTC
10-11-2007, 12:53 AM
That's nothing. KTC still does it as a grown man.

The world is my canvas.