Thoughts about genre/sub-genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm outlining my next book, which for me, is filling a notebook full of notes about the book and scenes and characters, and I realized that it's really reminiscent of Phyllis Whitney and Victoria Holt. It's going to be very Southern Gothic with a paranormal twist.

Would teenagers even be interested in a Southern gothic novel with a paranormal twist? This really isn't pertinent, but do teenagers know who Phyllis Whitney and Victoria Holt are? I loved them when I was a teenager. Do they know what the gothic genre is or should I try to label it as something else?

I'm going to write it no matter what because it's in my head, and it's exactly what I love to read. But, I'm just wondering whether to make my character a teenager (which is what I really want to do) or make her older. If I make her older, I'll be cutting out two characters that won't be needed.

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
Ooh, sounds cool. You had me at Southern Gothic.

I know of Phyllis Whitney and Victoria Holt, but I've never read their work. When I think Southern Gothic, my mind goes to stuff like Katherine Anne Porter, Flannery O'Conner, Peter Taylor, Harry Crews, and some of Faulkner's work. But most anything in the Southern lit tradition appeals to me.

I think there's a definite opening for that kind of thing in the YA market. Just my biased opinion, but I think there needs to be more YA fiction set in the South. ;) And with the gothic stuff and the "supernatural twist," I bet you could attract a lot of fans of Stephenie Meyer, Holly Black, Libba Bray, etc. I went to a Stephenie Meyer Q & A / signing last month here in Atlanta, and -- while being crushed by the masses of fans and trying to coax myself away from a total claustrophobia attack -- I observed that there was no shortage of readers for "dark" fiction that would attract teenage girls.

I say go for it with the teenage character. YA is still growing, branching into different areas, and I bet an editor would be pleasantly surprised by a YA gothic / supernatural manuscript falling on her desk.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Phyllis Whitney and Victoria Holt weren't Southern gothic writers, but they wrote in the gothic vein. They always had a touch of supernatural in their books, but there was always a natural cause for it. Usually, it was someone wanting someone else to believe a house or an area was haunted.

I love writing about the South. All of my short stories have been set in the South. My first novel dealt with Southern themes, but it's not worthy of being published. I think I did well keeping with the tone, but it was hard going, even being from the South.

This one is set first in Tennessee and then moves to Georgia, when my MC goes there to explore what really happened the night her parents were murdered and to try to stop a family curse that's been going for the last 150 years. The family curse is caused by a family secret no one knows about except for a few ghosts.

goatprincess

untitled
Registered
Reaction score
The concept sounds great. I would say definitely follow your instincts and make it a YA. The tone I imagine when you describe your book sounds like something that would go over very well in the current YA market. I get the feeling it would be fun to read and also have some depth to it!

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
This is absolutely marketable. Southern, gothic and paranormal are all easy (relatively) markets for YA, so combining them sounds great.

I don't think most teens will have heard o Whitney and Holt, but that shouldn't stop you. Just market it as something new.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
I loved Phyllis Whitney when I was a kid.
Southern/Gothic/Paranormal sounds like fun. Go for it.

And congrats on quitting smoking, by the way!

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Cassidy, Phyllis Whitney is still alive at 104, and she's working on her autobiography. Don't you hope to be that way at that age.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
What? Wouldn't you rather be writing your autobiography when your 50 and totally famous so you can lounge around at Lit dinner confrences for the next 54? Get your priorities straight. :D

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
What? Wouldn't you rather be writing your autobiography when your 50 and totally famous so you can lounge around at Lit dinner confrences for the next 54? Get your priorities straight. :D

Yep, that's what I'm hoping for. But, when I'm 104, I'm going to be writing what happened between 50 and 104, and it's going to be very, very exciting. I'm going to do all the things I was too young to do before, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.