Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The "Life is Short" thread made me think (oh no, not a good thing):

If today is your last day in the world, what would you do? What do you think? How are you going to spend your last few hours?

OK, we'll probably have the usual "spend with the loved ones," "do a few things I've never got to do..." etc etc. But really, what is on your mind?

Related question: What would be on your tombstone/plate/urn?

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
I had a chance to think about this in Oct when my mother was dying. If I knew I wouldn’t be here tomorrow--there is a lake I would go to. I'd sit and watch the waves and reflect on if my life here meant anything, and contemplate what the next world would be like. I'd just feel and remember the memories.

Shawn

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
Man what a serious question..hehe..

A good one though. Not an easy question to answer either, but if I had one day left knowing I was to die the next day...

I'd live it up for that one day. I'd do one of the few things I'm too scared (of heigths)to do like...sky dive out of a plane. Or something similiar to that...I would want to feel my heart rush naturally as much as I possibly could. To feel those last rushes from living...lol..

And I'd say goodbye to all the people that truly mattered and tell them I loved them.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I was just writing about this the other day. Ten years ago, I'da probably answered that I'd try to live my life as usual, based on the premise that I'm living my life like I want.

Now I have kids (which is part of the life I want, I actually became a mom on purpose) and now I cannot even think about this. It chills me to the bone. And that's not just a cliche. Well maybe it is, but it feels apt.

-pkpk

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
are you crazy?

With a bunch of babes!

(like the ones here)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I would visit the library and fondle mine and my dad's books, make sure they were right next to eath other, just as a reminder to let him know that I fullfilled his and my dream of becoming an author afterall--his fondest wish for me.

Then I would know that I'd left something constructive behind, a little legacy, a little, "see, I was here" momento. Maybe someone would remember me...

Triceratops

Mistook

Neverending WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'd definitely call in sick to work.

"Hey, uh... it's my last day on Earth so... I'm not coming in."

I don't think I'd bother telling anybody. Not nearly enough time to deal with all that in one day. I'd probably just try to write a nice letter to my friends and family.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
this question reminds me of the question asked of Helen Kellor. what would she want to see if she regained her vision... her answer... watch the birds in the trees...
I guess I would watch the birds in the trees, and for once take the time to listen to their songs...

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I think I'd have another wedding. :) Then Anthony and I would watch a Buffy marathon and snuggle up by the fireplace.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'd throw an intimate birthday party and have all my family and close friends together, out at a cabin. It doesn't matter if it's not my birthday. Hey, I'm going to die so who cares? I'd hold and kiss everyone of them and tell them how my life would be a sham without them. Then we'd build a huge bonfire by the lake and everyone would sit around and tell stories about each other. Watching their smiles and listening to their voices and laughter. That's when I'd slip away quietly...

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! This is an excellent question.

I know there are many ways I could answer, but suddenly I thought of this: I'd take money out of my savings account and go spend it. After all, as they say, you can't take it with you. I'd just go out to breakfast, drive all over the place, visit places, go out to lunch, get my hair done, go out to a fancy restaurant for dinner. I'd have a wonderful day with no regrets that I spent all that money.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
What a question...

If I knew today was my last day. I would write a letter to all my extended family and friends then I would spend the rest of the day with my son and husband, because they are my reason for living. But I would want to do things I have never done like fly on a plane. I would eat like a pig because the diet would no longer matter. And I would make my peace with God. At the end of the day I would want to slip away quietly and painlessly, being held in my husband's arms.

~~Tammy

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last Day???

Let me get this straight. So some guy walks up to me and says, "LJ, you got roughly 24 hours left on this swirling ball of hydrogen. Pack your crap and get ready to catch the next flight outta' here."

First thought: *Ah Jeeze! Not again.

(A pause for consideration...suspicions arise....eyebrows narrow)

First question: "Is that so?"
Second question: "Who sez?"
Third question: "We flying coach or first class?"
Fourth question: "Uh, you suggest I pack sweaters or beach attire?"

(quick analysis of answers)

Conclusion: Fuggedaboudit. I ain't going.

Final Analysis- I figure any courtesy calls that offer advanced warning of my demise are likely bogus as Clinton currency. (Prior experience with the subject matter has taught this grasshopper much.) When it's really my time, I won't get that courtesy call. The Boss knows me too well. The Boss will just reach out and grab me, and that'll be it. No fanfare, no jeering from the nose-bleed section, no 24 hours of angst-filled reflection, no long and teary goodbyes for LJ.

However, IF, I repeat IF, I should be given a little advanced notice, I would hope I have the grace and courage to spend my remaining time in the most appropriate manner. (And the wisdom to discern what that manner may be.)

Last edited:

LisaHa

Registered
Reaction score
I'd get rid of all those things I wouldn't want my mum to find when she had to sort through my personal belongings. And no, I'm not telling you what they are either!:Ssh:

Then I'd sort out my mess of files and accounts so that all the executor stuff was as easy as possible. Don't want my Mum and friend getting confused over bank accounts and insurance policies while they are mourning me.

Then I'd have one mega laid-back party for all my family and friends. I like Ray's idea of a cabin, bonfire etc. Just relaxing together, enjoying each other's company, telling them how much they have meant to me. I'd make sure they knew exactly the sort of funeral I would want - actually not a funeral at all, but a service of thanksgiving.

And I'd thank the Lord that I had the forewarning so I could do all the above.
:partyguy:

JanaLanier

Snarling Cur
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janalanier.blogspot.com
I'd go to the beach with my family. I'd swim in the ocean and bob in the waves. I'd feel the sun on my face, the breeze in my hair, the sand in my sandwitch. I'd hold my kids and my husband and tell them their love made my life complete.

GEEZ Ray! Now I'm getting all teary eyed! You better bring back that peeing puppy toot sweet!

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
I'd make a video tape for my son--something he could play when he was older. I'd make another for my wife, telling them how much she has meant to me.

Then I'd write a letter for friends and family which I'd post online for them to find/pass around.

Then I'd make a big breakfast for my wife and son and spend the day at the playground and in the park.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Man...

I read through all the wise and funny replies and feel like I know you all better than I ever did from reading your wise and funny replies to writing questions.

Gave me some good ideas, too!

Maryn, who would post her real name here for a change

detante

Tiddly Pom
Registered
Reaction score
I'd tell my husband how content my life has been since I've been with him.

I'd tell my kids to look after each other and love each other as much as I love them.

I'd go to the Cheesecake Factory and order a slice of every kind.

And I'd walk around downtown topless because there's no law against it here.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd max out my credit cards ... oh, already done that.
EmoteSmack.gif

I would want to put all my affairs in order, then tell everyone I know exactly what I think of them, good or bad, and why. Finally, cuddle up with the wife and watch my favorite movies one more time.

I already know what song I want to be listening to at the final moment. Ain't tellin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.