Max Headroom: 20 Minutes Into The Future

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Who remembers this show?

Not to be confused with Max Headroom's talk show, which I've never seen. This was a sci-fi/cyberpunk series from the 80's. The only thing I can find now is the VHS release of the UK TV movie. I would love to see the US series again.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I remember; I have most of it taped from TV. I found it fun and - oddly - inspiring with a variety of ideas. I'd like to get it on DVD. Anyone know if it's available?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
It's not on DVD in the US yet! I heard there was a Region free DVD set with the complete series and the UK movie available in the UK, but it's probably in PAL format.

I would love to get a copy of the series, if anyone knows a way.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I worked with Rocky Morton last November on a GE commercial. I didn't even know who he was until they said "psst, he created Max Headroom." I only watched the show a few times. He was a really, really cool guy.

/ end name-drop of the day /

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah - I remember this. I think I only saw the first episode but I remember being surprised at how much I liked it and also my shock that it had such a short run.

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
I gotta admit, I had a crush on the computer nerd kid! Bryce? Bryson?

I think of Max Headroom everytime they replay The Stand on Sci Fi.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I remember it! I loved it at the time, all quirky and weird. Matt Frewer's Canadian, you know.

Tea's-made!!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Great show, though it was odd watching Matt Frewer in a more serious role as Edison Carter playing straight man to Max Headroom.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah - I remember this. I think I only saw the first episode but I remember being surprised at how much I liked it and also my shock that it had such a short run.

Yes, me too. I couldn't believe how good this show was. I heard they were making a show about that man-in-the-computer from the Coke commercials, and I thought it was just going to be silly. But the plot was complex, and it was very sophisticated for network television at the time. Who knows, maybe this new Cavemen show with the characters from the Geico commercial will be ground breaking!

Robin, yes, his name was Bryce! He was a cutie, but the English version was cuter, although much more evil.

What's ironic is that they had this actor playing Max Headroom, and they wanted to have you think he was all CGI. Today, they make CGI and want you to believe it's real.

I wish this show would come back on the Sci Fi Channel or something...

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember Max Headroom - saw every episode :) It'd be nice to see Sci-Fi run it, but they never do anything I'd like.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
You know what I really hate? I hate it when some cable network shows reruns of The Flash. I see that cool English lady in a very similar role when I'm flipping channels, and I think they're finally bringing Max back!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone who remembers the show NOT like it?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
You mean they're showing reruns of The Flash and not Max?!

Bastards!!

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Count me as another who misses Max and would love to have the show on DVD.

I taped -- I believe -- every episode that aired, but didn't have cable OR satellite then, so the tape was grainy and horrible even before it also became old and obsolete. :cry:

Another short-lived show I liked was Probe. With, of all people, Parker Stevenson. Played a character named Austin James, supposedly the smartest man alive, or something like that. Basic detective show, except they played with high-tech (at the time) concepts and gadgets, and it was fun to watch.