How do you pronounce an apostrophe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arainsb123

Learning!
Registered
Reaction score
They're everywhere in many fantasy novels, and I have no idea how to pronounce them! Can anyone enlighten me? I've read fantasy for years, and I usually just ignore the apostrophes, but it would be nice to finally learn how to pronounce them.

arainsb123

Learning!
Registered
Reaction score
Example

[size=-1]Don't like the book I've found these in, but here are a few:

Shur'tugal
[/size]Ra'zac
Zar'roc

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
The indicate a pause and sometimes a gutteral sound or to make the next letter a little harder than normal.

For instance, in my mind, I would pronounce:

ruh ZaK

zar RAHK

But, of course, it is really up to your mind how you pronounce them with no clues from the writer. And if you're not liking the book, it's possible the author just put them in there because they thought they should, because that's how they think scifi characters are named.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Apos'trophes in fan'tasy can be a laz'y writer's way of try'ing to make t'hings seem ex'otic. Since they're usual'ly gra'tuitous, I don't think you nee'd to p'ronounce them a'tall.

- Victoria

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I always read them as slight pauses. I don't know if I'm right or not, but that's how my mind distills them. I'm guilty of using them from time to time.

Shurtagal - I would pronounce it as rhyming with vertical
Shur'tagal - I would pronounce it as Sure Tah-gall

I read a book recently where there were asterixs (*) in the middle of words. (like nuka*paal). I guess that's supposed to be tongue clicks like you hear from African languages. It was really distracting.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Just to indicate how I feel about apostrophes in names in fantasies and science fiction, there is exactly one character, a king, whose name has an apostrophe in a series I've written. He dies not too long after he's encountered in the series by an underling who takes his throne and then renames the capital port city that also bore the king's name. From then on, there are no other characters with apostrophes.

Deleted member 42

The apostrophe, as a punctuation mark (versus the apostrophe as a rhetorical figure) is an indication that a letter or sound is "missing," or "skipped."

In Modern English possessives, "John's dog" the apostrophe is marker of the way possessives used to be written, Johnes dog, where -es marked the genitive. The apostrophe stands in for the -e.

I'm skipping over a lot of historical changes and twisty little rules here, but basically, it means that something is skipped, which, depending on the sounds on either side of the apostrophe, results in an elision, a pause, or a glottal stop, etc.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Stamp out rampant gratuitous apostrophication, whenever and wherever you find it. It's like the kudzu of fantasy--a genre I love.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
In Modern English possessives, "John's dog" the apostrophe is marker of the way possessives used to be written, Johnes dog, where -es marked the genitive. The apostrophe stands in for the -e.

Even earlier–this is the part I find exciting–it was "John his dog" (but with archaic spelling) or "the house his roof."

Euan H.

Unspeakable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
euanharvey.com
Apostrophes can indicate aspiration in some languages (the one I'm familair with is Thai written in Roman script). For example:

'T'ai' has an aspirated initial consonant. (To know what aspiration is, hold your hand in front of your mouth and sayy 'pee'. The little puff of air you feel comes from the fact that 'p' is aspirated in English in consonant-initial position).

'Tai' on the other hand is unaspirated, and the 't' sound would be similar to the 't' in the 'my belt was on the chair'.

But...

Having said that, modern transliteration of Thai uses an 'h' to indicate aspiration. So we would have 'Thai' and 'Tai' (or 'Dtai').

So there you go.

detante

Tiddly Pom
Registered
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Stamp out rampant gratuitous apostrophication, whenever and wherever you find it. It's like the kudzu of fantasy--a genre I love.

I want a T-shirts that said "Eradicate gratuitous apostrophication".

Kate Nepveu

Vacuumer of Cats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steelypips.org
victoriastrauss said:
Apos'trophes in fan'tasy can be a laz'y writer's way of try'ing to make t'hings seem ex'otic. Since they're usual'ly gra'tuitous, I don't think you nee'd to p'ronounce them a'tall.
I usually think of them as a slight pause, probably because I don't know what a glottal stop actually sounds like and I first encountered them in McCaffrey, where they represent elisons.

I have put down books because of apostrophes in names. I have refused to pick up books (the Wit'ch series, anyone?) because of apostrophes. They are best avoided with extreme prejudice.

SFCaprice

Nothing to do with apostrophes

Is it true that novellas are almost un-sellable (coined word)? And, if so, what does one do with two and a half stories (science fiction) of less than 50,000 words (currently into the third of a series featuring the same characters). From the feedback I've gotten from those that have read them, they're good stories too. Do I just chuck them and concentrate on writing the Great American Novel?? Or just give up on any idea of selling what I write and be resigned to keeping my day job? It's depressing.

shudder.gif

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
SFCaprice--there are markets for novella-length stories--you just have to be really, really good. I guess, if they were my stories, I'd look for whether or not every word really HAD to be there.

If I couldn't trim them down and make them really lean and intense (telling the same amount of story in, oh, 10K words) then I'd look at adding more story--and beefing them into novels. If the stories are absolutely perfect, as is, then check into publications that DO use novella-length stuff, or run stories, serialized.

Here's one such market. :)

SFCaprice

Thanks Mac. I guess I keep the day job. The site offered (though I shall look for others) caters to 'all ages' and what I write is primarily for adults and is science fiction and not fantasy. It's not that they are terribly erotic (though there are, shall we say, 'adult' situations), but they're not meant for children either. I didn't even intend them to be 'novellas', they just came out that way. And, let's face it, there's no such thing as 'perfect'. I'll have to wait and see how they critique over on the Critters website.

Thanks anyhow....
splat.gif

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: ..........SHOOT.....BANG!.....I WISH I COULD SPELL ERADICATE GRATUITOUS APOSTROPHICATION....(WIPES SPIT OFF CHIN...AND PULLS UP MY DEPENDS.....)

I LOVE YOU GUYS.....:kiss:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
SFCaprice:
Welcome to the SF/F board. Mac is right: novellas are a tough sell. However, I believe certain periodicals do publish them, on the order of "once in awhile". I did have the thought, though, that since your stories involve the same characters, why not try combining them into a sort of anthology of your own and market it as one?

detante

Tiddly Pom
Registered
Reaction score
CACTUSWENDY said:
I WISH I COULD SPELL ERADICATE GRATUITOUS APOSTROPHICATION....(WIPES SPIT OFF CHIN...AND PULLS UP MY DEPENDS.....)

:ROFL: Wendy, you never fail to make me smile!

SFCaprice

Salmon....

Thanks, Pthom, for the suggestion. Now I know how a salmon feels, swimming upstream to the spawning grounds. Those waterfalls are a real *****!

Anthology. Which means I'll have to finish the third one (would it be considered a trilogy, then?) without any hope at all of having the first one published on its own.

As I said......depressing. Infuriating too.
tantrum.gif

I think I'll go have some tequila. Thanks anyway.......

Mary

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Check out Kage Baker's The Anvil of the World--it's a novel composed of three novellas featuring the same setting and characters. But I imagine that selling something like this to a commercial book publisher would be like selling a short story collection--you'd need some previous publishing credits.

- Victoria

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
It occurs to me that many authors do write multiple novellas in their novels...they interweave them as "sub plots" and tie them together at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.