Would going POD preclude trying to place a novel with an agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepellegrini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikepellegrini.com
Hi. This is a great site you have here. I'm really staggered at the amount of information available.

My question regards whether publishing a novel through POD (like Lulu or whatever) would necessarily hurt/hinder/preclude placing the same book with an agent.

I've got three literary novels I've been pitching to agents for a long, long, time.

I haven't given up on trying to place them with agents - I'm still sending out queries. But the thought of having actual finished copies available as I continue to try and market them is attractive.

I don't have any problems with the technical aspects of turning out a finished product, including a cover. So what I'm thinking is that I'd like to go ahead and do a POD with Lulu - as long as it won't have any negative effect in trying to find an agent.

Do agents "look down" on products that have been PODed?

Thanks!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Some do and some don't, and in many cases their attitude is well known. But bear in mind that there are options other than agent and self-publishing, for example submitting to the third party publisher directly.

Last edited:

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Don't claim it as a publishing credit. A lot of agents will not be interested because first publication rights are not available for sale.

Also if it self-published they'll want to know what kind of sales you've had. If you have not had much, it might be considered 7you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Regards,
Scott

mikepellegrini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikepellegrini.com
But bear in mind that there are option other than agent and self-publishing, for example submitting to the third party publisher directly.

I haven't tried that yet, but I am thinking of starting.

My main problems trying to sell my books:
  • Two are way long - 145,000 and 142,000 words
  • Then the third one is too short - 65,000 words
  • The best match for genre is literary or maybe commercial - and that's wide open
  • Two have counter-culture "hippie" themes (lots of drugs, sex and rock and roll).
With this in mind, trying to match up with a publisher is kinda tough.

I was telling stories when I wrote the books - not thinking of marketing. And now it continues to bite me in the butt.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
No more tough than trying to match them up with in agent who must also ultimately find a publisher. Skipping the agent opens up the medium and small (niche) presses where more unusual materials are accepted.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .My question regards whether publishing a novel through POD (like Lulu or whatever) would necessarily hurt/hinder/preclude placing the same book with an agent. . . .
I would recommend against it, given your stated intent. I believe that for your purpose, you would only cause yourself difficulties.

Approach agents in precisely the way they say to approach them, submitting in precisely the format they request.

If at some future time you decide to self-publish as an appropriate choice, then go for it. But this does not look like the time.

My opinion, FWIW.

--Ken

mikepellegrini

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikepellegrini.com
I would recommend against it, given your stated intent. I believe that for your purpose, you would only cause yourself difficulties.

Approach agents in precisely the way they say to approach them, submitting in precisely the format they request.

If at some future time you decide to self-publish as an appropriate choice, then go for it. But this does not look like the time.

My opinion, FWIW.

--Ken

This is kinda what I was worried about. That agents would be dismissive of any book that had been self-published - unless of course, it had sold really well.

Marketing them to small and medium presses might just be the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.