Well...darn

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I was considering posting this in Rejection and Dejection, but thought it might be better here. The other day I got an idea for a story about a lawyer...the characters are good, plot is good - I've read a lot and I don't think it's been done before.

But I don't think I can write it - 'cause I know NOTHING about being a lawyer. (You know, for the technical stuff...like how a lawyer would handle a trial, the terms they’d use when speaking, etc.)

Is it even remotely possible to research lawyers enough to write a book that would be realistic? Or should I give it up as a lost cause and move on?

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
You may not have practiced law like John Grisham did, but that shouldn't stop you from pursuing a good story idea. That's why we have libraries and Google and live interviews from people well acquainted with what you're writing about.

If you're passionate about the idea, go for it.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I'm a dreamer so I think anything is possible. I would not think it would be that hard to research what you are looking for and write about it. Unless you are going into deep details on some legal matter, I think you could pull it off. Not everyone who is going to read it would be a lawyer. You probably could find answers to your questions right here. I'm sure there are people here that are versed in the lawyer business. Good luck.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of law? It sounds like you might be talking about criminal.

I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a corporate lawyer in my neighborhood, so if that could help, I can ask some friends if they wouldn't mind corresponding with you. There are also lawyers here on AW.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I was considering posting this in Rejection and Dejection, but thought it might be better here. The other day I got an idea for a story about a lawyer...the characters are good, plot is good - I've read a lot and I don't think it's been done before.

But I don't think I can write it - 'cause I know NOTHING about being a lawyer. (You know, for the technical stuff...like how a lawyer would handle a trial, the terms they’d use when speaking, etc.)

Is it even remotely possible to research lawyers enough to write a book that would be realistic? Or should I give it up as a lost cause and move on?

How much did Ray Bradbury know about walking around on Mars?

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
If you have the story and you want to write the story, then write it. My novel has a murder conviction being overturned, which I know nothing about. So a verygoodwonderfulamazinghelpful friend :D who happens to be a lawyer helped me with enough details to make my story plausable.

Now go write that book! :)

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Stephen King would suggest you just write the story, plow through the lawer parts, making up what you'd think they would do, and then go ask a lawyer to crit the lawyer parts.

Or just post the lawyer parts here and let the lawyers clean it up.

Anyway, isn't researching different jobs the whole fun of being a writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.