• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Enthusiasts build and launch X-Wing

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
I wasn't quite sure if this was the right place to post this, but here goes.

X-Wing Rocket Launches, Disintegrates Mid-Air.

First, how cool is it that a group of enthusiasts build a 21-foot long X-Wing with solid-fuel engines?

Second, a total bummer that the maiden flight ended the way it did. I kind of hope they make a second attempt with sturdier materials. It looks like the frame just wasn't strong enough to withstand the launch.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't quite sure if this was the right place to post this, but here goes.

X-Wing Rocket Launches, Disintegrates Mid-Air.

First, how cool is it that a group of enthusiasts build a 21-foot long X-Wing with solid-fuel engines?

Second, a total bummer that the maiden flight ended the way it did. I kind of hope they make a second attempt with sturdier materials. It looks like the frame just wasn't strong enough to withstand the launch.

It looks like paired boosters, one of which wasnot putting out the same foot pounds of propellant gases. The left wing drags because the engines are delivering different amounts of thrust and the resultant incipient spin tears the air frame apart.To bad, they need to get those engines custom built to provide exactly the same thrust.Regards,Scott

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe before the next design someone will go to engineering school and take a strength-of-materials class, among a few others... geez... can I nominate these fools clowns adventurous enthusiasts for an honorary Darwin award?

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe before the next design someone will go to engineering school and take a strength-of-materials class, among a few others... geez... can I nominate these fools clowns adventurous enthusiasts for an honorary Darwin award?

part of the Darwin Award criteria is that the recipient must have cleared his genes from the common pool for the good of the species.

Regards,
Scott

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
part of the Darwin Award criteria is that the recipient must have cleared his genes from the common pool for the good of the species.

Regards,
Scott
Give 'em time, give 'em time...

Perhaps I should start a "Potential Darwin Award Recipient" award.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I saw this awhile back. A friend showed it to me, saying, "I think you'll like this."

Even though it blew up, I still think it's awesome. If they had a TIE fighter, I would have been glad it blew up ;)

I loved that the artoo unit actually spun around and beeped.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Let's face it together, Star Wars nerds—as much as it gives us a giant collective nerd-boner to imagine real, flying Star Wars vehicles, buzzing the air traffic controllers at JFK Intl' airport, these things were designed by Lucas's film masters, not aerospace engineers.

My favorite quote...but then I'm sort of biased on the side of Aerospace Engineers...

Hope everyone checked out the additional footage from the other launch... :)

One could make these things truly fly (and possibly land intact), but it would take more than a bunch of rocket enthusiasts could muster. Flight guidance computers, directional thrusters, and yes, actual pieces of aircraft/spacecraft grade hardware and material...

That stuff is all expensive.

Storm Dream

Into the blue memory
Registered
Reaction score
That is the most awesome thing ever. I want an X-Wing for my birthday. :)

On the serious side...who cares that it didn't quite work? These guys did something different. They actually managed to get it off the ground. I'd give them an award just for trying. I heart ingenuity.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
On the serious side...who cares that it didn't quite work? These guys did something different. They actually managed to get it off the ground. I'd give them an award just for trying. I heart ingenuity.
But it doesn't take much to get something off the ground with a rocket engine...you just put a really big one on it. ;)

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
But it doesn't take much to get something off the ground with a rocket engine...you just put a really big one on it. ;)
Fact!

In fact, if no-one's mentioned it yet, it wasn't so long ago that a Reliant Robin (that's a car) was launched on a rocket.
And all that did was blow a big hole in north northumberland.

(I'd post a link, but YouTube is blocked here at work. If you're really interested, search Youtube for "Top Gear. Shuttle")

Triangulos

Registered
Reaction score
Fact!

In fact, if no-one's mentioned it yet, it wasn't so long ago that a Reliant Robin (that's a car) was launched on a rocket.
And all that did was blow a big hole in north northumberland.

(I'd post a link, but YouTube is blocked here at work. If you're really interested, search Youtube for "Top Gear. Shuttle")

The links are here - pretty long all told but worth seeing, else skip to the second one to see the final preparations and launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwVnfo_3Sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOc1mjH9bKQ

T.