Calling all Ladies to the Dressing Room... guys stay out--please

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I need some fashion help, please! I gave up my fashion sense years ago.

This past spring break if you'll remember, I took daugh and her teenage friends to the beach--It was freezin'. The girls suggested we all go to the local Goodwill and buy sweats as the malls were sold out.

I found the cutest black dress there, perfect fit. Goes to just above knee. I don't know why I bought it--but I did.

It's sleeveless though, but a classic. Can I wear that now?--Hubby is going to take me out to special restaurant next two wks. for my BD. I found a knee length sweater thingy to go over it--Its pretty, but all black...Is that too much? And do I wear black hose and black shoes???? Or is that too much.? I think I need the sweater cover as I always get cold out in restaurants...Thank you.

:D

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I always get cold in restaurants--even in July.

Yes, you can still wear it now.
Yes, you can wear the black sweater. Or alternatively you could pick something in a bright color.
I'm not a huge fan of black hose, so I would go for skin-tone, but that's just me. It's not a rule, just a personal preference.

What I would do, if you're going to go with the black sweater, is jazz it up with brightly colored purse, or a bold lipstick.

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Personally, I stick with some flesh-toned hose, but that's just me. And depending on the restaurant, you might get one of those fun wraps...

2.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! How are guys supposed to stay out of a thread that promises a peak into the ladies' dressing room?

I just had to have a look. Very nice, and I'll bet you will look terrific in that black outfit, Kim. :)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! How are guys supposed to stay out of a thread that promises a peak into the ladies' dressing room?

I just had to have a look. Very nice, and I'll bet you will look terrific in that black outfit, Kim. :)
:tongueAhhh! I'm sooo embarrassed! OUT!!!!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always get cold in restaurants--even in July.

Yes, you can still wear it now.
Yes, you can wear the black sweater. Or alternatively you could pick something in a bright color.
I'm not a huge fan of black hose, so I would go for skin-tone, but that's just me. It's not a rule, just a personal preference.

What I would do, if you're going to go with the black sweater, is jazz it up with brightly colored purse, or a bold lipstick.
Soo0....aa, Blck, black, black and neutral hose, you think.? I'm sooo excited I never get to play dress up!!!!!

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Soo0....aa, Blck, black, black and neutral hose, you think.? I'm sooo excited I never get to play dress up!!!!!

Yup. Later in the season black might be okay, but right now neutral would be perfect. It's more bare-legs-but-not.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Later in the season black might be okay, but right now neutral would be perfect. It's more bare-legs-but-not.
But my legs aren't tanned. I don't like that look--bare ie. So if we go into Nov, maybe I could wear dress with black hose? But, I never liked black hose--just me and imo.... I'll wear neutral hose now...

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the neutral stockings give a nice finish. If, when it gets cooler, you want to try black hose, you could try a black stocking, but stay as sheer as possible.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the neutral stockings give a nice finish. If, when it gets cooler, you want to try black hose, you could try a black stocking, but stay as sheer as possible.
Big thank you! At least we are not in the white hose fashion--ohh--yuck on white hose ;).

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like black hose if they have those sexy seams up the back ... rhinestones, bows, barbwire ... (I'm still looking for the barbwire ...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Go with fishnet stockings, Kim. Trust me. And what about shoes? Not a single word has been mentioned yet about shoes. What kind of a fashion thread is this, anyway?

Oops, I forgot, no guys allowed. Sorry...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Go with fishnet stockings, Kim. Trust me. And what about shoes? Not a single word has been mentioned yet about shoes. What kind of a fashion thread is this, anyway?

Oops, I forgot, no guys allowed. Sorry...
Black shoes with a sprinklin of rhinestones on toe--what do you think? Yuck on fishnet, ohh oh, you're a fish, you sooooo should not say that word. :ROFL:
ETA: The heels are not big, more like a pump, pointy with rhinestones?????.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Yuck on fishnet...
Oh, all right. Then you'll need to go with Unique's suggestion to make your legs stand out:

I like black hose if they have those sexy seams up the back ... rhinestones, bows, barbwire ... (I'm still looking for the barbwire ...
The heels are not big, more like a pump, pointy with rhinestones?????.
Spiked heels would be better, about eight inches long at least, but I suppose pumps will have to do. ;) (The rhinestones are a nice touch.)

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sooo a sprinklin of rhinestones are not too much, I have a pearl choker? What about that with the shoe thingy going on. The shoes are Sierra's.

I know guys...you probably think this is a rather silly thread. But the fact is no. 1 -- I never buy for myself and the sweater thingy is a little expensive, that's why I wanted to ask. And no. 2 -- I never celebrate my BD as my sis died on it many years ago, tragic. But, but, but, when hubby asks this year, to take me out... I"M GOING! Yes, I am! I'm going to surprise him and be ready! :)

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no fashion sense. Sorry, can't help.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SILVER--OUT now!!! ;) I'm going to speak with Mac when she comes home next week--discuss the possibilty of a Girls Only thread, so we can :ahem: :cough: ask questions about girl issues, ya know periods, fashion etc...see if we can get a password even!!! ;)

Now the dress neckline is V shape, thank you Rhyme girl, I bought one of those miracle bra thingys to take care of that ;) sooo do I wear pearl choker or long necklace and what about those rhinestone shoes, plain black ???? Ohh I sooo ignorant!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't overdo on the sparkles, but then again I rarely do jewelry anyway. I also think nude stockings are better than opaque black, but sheer black is very sexy. My mom taught me a long time ago about the glories of sheer black stockings. They make your legs look more shapely because they appear to outline your legs from every angle. Seams are very sexy, but also tricky to keep straight. And a crooked seam defeats the purpose.

If it were me:

Yes on the black dress.
A sweater is good, but the long one may look too casual. I'd go with a shorter one, and possibly only drape it across the shoulders. (Is case that's vague, think putting on the sweater, but not putting your arms through the sleeves.)
A wrap is very nice and has a sophisticated look.
If I were wearing rhinestones on my shoes, I would opt for a very simple necklace. Pearls may be a bit much. Honestly, I would probably opt for the pearls and skip the rhinestones on my shoes.
Also, I would carry a simple clutch instead of a shoulder bag, especially with a wrap.

What fun! When Mr. Vagabond and I go out, it's usually to somewhere I can get away with jeans.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Kimmi, all you'd have to do is say the word "period" and most guys would run the other direction. That and "childbirth".

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kimmi, all you'd have to do is say the word "period" and most guys would run the other direction. That and "childbirth".
:laughs: That is correct--let's say afterbirth--Ahhhh! Rofl.
Another question, please--I do have a pair of black heeled cross strap sandels shoes--Too late for that in the season? Maybe just closed toed shoes?

thank you!

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
What's wrong with dressing all in black?

Eh... I'd better step out now. I know nothing about fashion and I'm not even sure what you're all talking about.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
I love black, it's can be classy and casual, depending on accents.
If you opt for black dress and black stockings, I would also suggest a flesh tone wrap. It will offset the "funeral" look while adding just the right amount of color.

Enjoy your birthday and I hope this special date with your husband will eventually help to ease the pain of birthdays past.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
You can wear a black dress any time. If you are wearing shoes with a touch of rhinestone on the toe, be sure to wear necklace or earrings in a silver tone too. It will add some sparkle around your neck.
A bold purse is a good way to liven up all black.

I rarely wear black nylons. I'd go with a skintone nylon. I always considered black nylons very formal and almost never wear them.

a cute little bright colored purse, and a necklace that accentuates the dress's neckline along with the sparkly toed shoes sounds great!

Go for it.

and have a great time!