• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Mentors

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Today, at 4:00pm... I will go and say good-bye to a man that was everything to me. He was a songwriter, singer, manager, friend and my mentor. Merle Kilgore.
In 1990 he answered a letter, that letter was from a frightened 39 year old college student. You see I had to write a paper on a songwriter, the songwriter was Hank Williams Sr. Over the years Merle was instrumental in paveing the road for me to become the writer that I am today. Everything from my moving to Nashville to seeing my dream as a writer come true. He taught me how this business of show business works. He was the one that would sit me down in his office and yell at me for not doing what I was suspose to do. And importantly he would take the time to phone me when he had read something that I wrote and say "thank-you", you handled that person well. "You brought them back to life just for a brief moment"...
So for those who do not think that having a mentor is something that you need or would want.... Stop for a moment and think. Everyone needs a mentor. I know I did.... and today I will say not only thank-you to him for taking the time but good-bye....
Forever and a day whatever else goes into print will be because he took the time with a unknown, someone that he saw beyond the simple beginings of a writer in Biographies and reached out a hand and said ... let me help you help yourself....
So stop and think again, everyone needs someone.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
My condolences Bio. I'm sure Merle knew how you felt about him. And now you can pass on what he taught, and those who learn from you can pass it on...and so on and so on. So there'll be a little of Merle for several generations yet to come.

tfdswift

Hillbilly Queen
Registered
Reaction score
My mentor...

I know how you feel Biotales... I would be lost without my mentor... A mentor is more than just someone to learn from, they are someone that keeps you going and helps pick you up whenever you fall. I love my mentor and I hope he knows how much he has touched my life.

~~Tammy

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Tammy, please tell your mentor, please..... I did.... do not wait...
Biotales

tfdswift said:
I know how you feel Biotales... I would be lost without my mentor... A mentor is more than just someone to learn from, they are someone that keeps you going and helps pick you up whenever you fall. I love my mentor and I hope he knows how much he has touched my life.

~~Tammy

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
You have my condolences, bio.

I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a mentor, especially when I first found out about getting published. I really didn't realize exactly how important they can be for a write but now I do. So, I'm gonna try to put those thoughts into action.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Ditto

Bio, I was deeply touched by your tribute. I think we all know how we can benifit from having someone who guides us along that literary path. I've lost the greatest mentors in my life--my dad, who had a love for words beyond my comprehension--Dick Fawcett small press magazine publisher extraordinaire, Poul Anderson, the greatest science fiction/fantasy writer of all time. Erskine Carter, a real friend, publisher, and fellow dreamer.
You all live on through me...

Tri

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
thank you everyone... but from now on , everyword that I write... I know he will be there living in my words and my work.... telling me to remember the human side...
I will be writing more on him and I will be posting it to this site...
" my dad, who had a love for words beyond my comprehension--Dick Fawcett small press magazine publisher extraordinaire, Poul Anderson, the greatest science fiction/fantasy writer of all time. Erskine Carter, a real friend, publisher, and fellow dreamer.
You all live on through me..." Tri.... :Hug2:

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I share your grief at the loss of Merle Kilgore. He was also my friend and sometimes mentor. I first contacted him when I began the research for a project very dear to my heart, the story of a late country music singer who was a friend of Merle's.

He responded and we became friends as well. He has encouraged me with my career as a writer, in the original project that brought us together, and in a personal way. I will miss his phone calls (I live far from Nashville) and his warm input. I could always count on him when I needed verfication or information or anything.

I worked in country music radio for a number of years and among the many personalities I've met, Merle Kilgore was one of the finest.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Johnny, Thank you so much... You do understand... I am in Nashville because of him... He wore me out calling me every week telling me who and what I missed... and that to be a good writer of Bios "I had to be here"....
Biotales:Hug2:

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Bio, my dear,

My condolences. I've been thinking of you.

Lisa

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Word.... I heard a Tom T. Hall song this morning and I had to laugh...
I am comfortable knowing that he is happy where I know he is...
Biotales

Status
Not open for further replies.