Is this strange?

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I know there are a million threads about wait times- I've spread my angst in several of them! I was just hoping to check in with wiser minds than mine and see if anyone finds my situation strange at all.

I sent out some queries some time ago. I was thrilled to receive three immediate requests for partials. I sent the pages to all three agents within a day of the requests.

The first went out (3 chapters, email) on August 22. I received a kind reply August 27 confirming that it was received. The second went out (3 chapters, email) September 6. The third went out (100 pages, snail mail) September 11. All were sent as each agent requested. All are to emerging or newer agents in large, well known (busy) agencies.

I guess since I'm at about 6 to 4 weeks for all 3 of them without any word at all, I'm starting to develop a complex. Chill? Polite inquiry ensuring all were received? Did they call the FBI because they've found hidden subtext I was unaware my subconscious was spewing? Does my title translate into somthing horribly offensive when held up to a mirror?

Am I still in the "take a pill, you're fine" time frame?

Damn, this waiting is soul sucking.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
You're still in the "chill out" timeframe.

Just relax...they were all recieved. You'll hear from them when they're finished. :D

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Ditto on the chill. Fugitabout it. Keep writing. Send out more queries (you must be doing something right if you're getting that many requests for partials).
Keep writing.
Oh did I say keep writing? Don't forget to write.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I know the waiting can drive a person crazy, can't it? Believe it or not I just got a response from a partial I sent out the first of April. It was a pass, but I figured by now the manuscript was long lost. I hate the waiting part of this business.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
THANK YOU!

The 0 for 3 was starting to freak me out a little. I was getting ready to have my hard drive checked for agent traps.

Thank you again. I'll go back to my WIP now like a good little waiting writer.

Carrie R.

Procrastinating, clearly
Registered
Reaction score
The other thing you can do is check to see if any of these agents list how long it should take to hear back. Some agents will have on their website or blog "if you don't hear from me in X amount of time, feel free to send a status email."

I agree with everyone else that you should spend the time waiting by sending out more queries and writing. But that many requests is great - congrats!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The other thing you can do is check to see if any of these agents list how long it should take to hear back. Some agents will have on their website or blog "if you don't hear from me in X amount of time, feel free to send a status email."

I agree with everyone else that you should spend the time waiting by sending out more queries and writing. But that many requests is great - congrats!

Thanks, Carrie! Yeah- I checked that out weeks ago- right before the tarot card reading but after I had my work email account set to "super agent reception." (My rejections are getting through just fine :D ) It's great advice. No luck on any of them, though. One agency doesn't even have submission guidelines posted under their link for "Submission Guidelines." It's been replaced with a blurb stating that they don't accept unsolicited queries. I was fortunate to hear that the particular agent I queried does, though, and she's right up my alley so that was a break and a half (she sort of gets the short end with that agency-wide edict, but I'm guessing it's not a huge problem since I'm still waiting to hear back from her).

I appreciate your comment and Orion's about the three partial requests in the first query wave being a positive response. This is my first novel and I don't really know the signs. I've been reading here like a fiend, but every time I think I'm getting solid info, a great discussion breaks out in the thread and it only reinforces that there are few consencuses in publishing and agency. My busy brain struggles with that, I think.

Thanks for helping to talk me down, everyone. I shouldn't be due for another neurotic post for a couple more weeks.