Boogie vs. Booger man?

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up with the guy that lurks in your closet or under your bed being the Boogie man. I've read some books recently where the author called it the Booger man. Is this a regional thing or something?

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Booger man in very allergy prone environments, but I've always heard Boogie Man. :)

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
I always thought it was something to do with Napoleon Bonaparte--English parents threatening naughty children that the Bogeyman--from Boneyman, I suppose--would come and get them. I've never seen boogie man. But since bogeyman itself is a corruption, it would be logical that it would be corrupted further.

Deleted member 42

It's a derivative of bogle or bogill; Scots mythological critter of small stature and dangerous fierceness, cognate with bogart or boggart. Bogle man became bogie/boogy man, and, given the resemblance of the word booger, to some folks, boogerman.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've always heard the ghostly figure that gets children as the bogey man. Bogey is also a golf term for one-over-par.
I've always thought of boogie as a type of music, short for boogie woogie, a variation of blues that has lived on in rock-and-roll.

And then for that OTHER word, there's this thing, suitable for mature children of all ages, under "DANCE OF THE SUGAR-BOOGER FAERIES":
http://www.buckyburro.com/main/songstories.htm
Lyrics (WARNING: Gross and explicit):
http://www.buckyburro.com/main/boogerama.htm
And you can hear the actual song "Boogerama" (WARNING: loud guitars and gross lyrics):
http://www.myspace.com/buckyburro

Great stuff for the ten-year-old in all of us...

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Boogerman was what I heard growing up. Nothing to do with snot. Seems like we heard people say Boogieman when the kids were really small. . .as they got a little older it was always Boogerman.

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow the boogie man just doesn't sound very scary after this.

I'm your boogie man, I'm your boogie man.
Turn me on!
I'll do what you want.

KC and The Sunshine Band

and then there was Saturday Night Fever.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Boogerman was what I heard growing up. Nothing to do with snot. Seems like we heard people say Boogieman when the kids were really small. . .as they got a little older it was always Boogerman.

Fern, that's interesting. I wonder if it's regional. What part of the country did you grow up in?

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Somehow the boogie man just doesn't sound very scary after this.

Turn me on!
I'll do what you want.

KC and The Sunshine Band

and then there was Saturday Night Fever.

Exactly. I always said "boogerman" or boogeyman" but never boogie man unless of course he's dancing.........

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Fern, that's interesting. I wonder if it's regional. What part of the country did you grow up in?

I grew up in Oklahoma. All our acquaintances, family members, etc., referred to it as the booger man (sometimes as booger bear), or they might say something like "Don't go in there; the boogers will get you."

hazellsephine

Registered
Reaction score
what about that race car driver/announcer that says "boogedie boogedie boo"? Maybe he knows. Or is that a line from some boogieman movie? I'm in NJ, and I've always heard it as "boogie"

writin52

Registered
Reaction score
An interesting concept a boogieing boogie man. Must admit I always used the spelling bogeyman but when it was said it sounded like boogieman.

Old Word Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oldwordwolf.blogspot.com
"Bogey" and "bogeyman" are the direct descendants of an old Scottish word for ghost: "bogill." Oxford English Dictionary's cite is 1505, William Dunbar: "The love glance of that bogle, from his bleary eyes ...", or originally "The luif blenkis of that bogill, fra his blerde ene ..."
Bogle evolved into bogey or bogeyman, and as many have already noted correctly, is often "spelled like it sounds," or boogieman, in the big dictionary.

In addition to the golf score (one over par), the term was also used in WWII to designate an unidentified ("ghost") plane.

Cheerio.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Aye. If ye gaun oot in the dark, the bogles'll get ye.

(And a 'tattie-bogle' is the old name for a scare-crow.)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
So, is a boogie bogey booger man a scary dancing guy made of snot?

I always said bogeyman.