PDA

View Full Version : How many books do you STEAL in a year?

badducky
10-06-2007, 03:19 AM
I'm floating somewhere between 10-20.

The Lady
10-06-2007, 03:27 AM
Where do you steal them from?
I never steal books?
Even from the library. I always bring them back and pay my ginormous fines.

Except once. I forget to return a book called West Of Eden, and then I got too embarrassed. They eventually stopped asking and I gave it to a charity shop.

But no, I don't steal.

Shadow_Ferret
10-06-2007, 03:28 AM
Shoplifting is stealing.

I'll take that as a confession. The Police will be knocking at your door any time now.

Pamster
10-06-2007, 03:33 AM
Do you mean the library?

Chameleon
10-06-2007, 03:39 AM
I "borrow" most books I read. It's very rare that I buy novels (I'd say, I bought the HP series since book 5 for my little sister.) The rest of the novels come from the library.

KTC
10-06-2007, 03:40 AM
Judas is going to be pissed. She doesn't like her threads being mocked.

Me? None.

Will Lavender
10-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Zero. I'm terrified of the Library Police.

Though I'm going to remember this when The Last Dragon comes out. When they wrassle me to the asphault out in the parking lot, I'll just say, "It's okay! The author doesn't mind."

JoNightshade
10-06-2007, 03:51 AM
How about, How many books have people stolen from ME? I'm still waiting for my copy of Time Traveler's Wife to come back. Grumble.

Siddow
10-06-2007, 03:55 AM
Three of my books are out on 'loan'.

I can't say I stole any, but I did snatch a bunch of lit journals from the freebie box at a book fair.

scarletpeaches
10-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Judas is going to be pissed. She doesn't like her threads being mocked.

Me? None.

Imitation is the dreariest form of flattery.

KTC
10-06-2007, 04:02 AM
no. it's flattery is the sincerest form of imitation. You're a wonderful person, Judas.

maestrowork
10-06-2007, 04:52 AM
I steal my own books back, usually either with cash, chocolate pants, or some kind of favors.

Chicken Warrior
10-06-2007, 04:54 AM
I don't steal books, but if publishers send me stuff to review for sites that I quit writing for years ago and am no longer listed on, then I'm not going to send them back. I'm also pretty bad at replacing books in exchange reading libraries, quite honestly, but they're so full of crap that one book I put in is worth five I take out :D

Nymtoc
10-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Steal books?

Nope, never have.:Wha:

Sunkissed27f
10-06-2007, 05:15 AM

Except once. I forget to return a book called West Of Eden, and then I got too embarrassed. They eventually stopped asking and I gave it to a charity shop.

But no, I don't steal.

Did you read all the Eden books?
I have read that one I have yet to read the other 2.

I would say I have stolen 0!

Judg
10-06-2007, 06:59 AM
You are a Bad Ducky. And it's official, when you come to town, I'm NOT inviting you over. You'll have to settle for coffee somewhere, and not the Starbucks in the corner of the bookstore, either!

cb1281
10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
No stealing from the library! :-P

And Will, the Library Police? HAHA. I have too many other important things to do than chase after people who don't pay their fines!!

Will Lavender
10-06-2007, 10:38 PM
No stealing from the library! :-P

And Will, the Library Police? HAHA. I have too many other important things to do than chase after people who don't pay their fines!!

You might, but the Library Policeman...

I'm referring here to the Stephen King story in Four Past Midnight. Read it?

ChaosTitan
10-06-2007, 10:53 PM
You might, but the Library Policeman...

I'm referring here to the Stephen King story in Four Past Midnight. Read it?

That story freaked me out.

I blame that story for my fear of dark libraries and late fees.

Jamesaritchie
10-07-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't steal anything. Ever. And books are sacred. Even if I were a thief, I would never steal a book.

badducky
10-07-2007, 02:26 AM
I steal books from my parents and my friends.

Last two I ganked: TREASON by Orson Scott Card and Book 1 of the Shadowmarch by Tad Williams.

I also got my sticky fingers on "The Ivory and the Horn" by Charles de Lint

It's cool. They steal just as much from me.

scarletpeaches
10-07-2007, 02:28 AM
I nicked a couple years ago for a dare.

They were shit. Glad I never paid for them.

swvaughn
10-07-2007, 02:50 AM
I never steal books?
Even from the library. I always bring them back and pay my ginormous fines.

But no, I don't steal.

If you'd said East of Eden, I'd get to blame you for my accidentally buying a book by Anne Rice that was most definitely NOT about vampires. :D

Innocently picked it up at a Salvation Army, thinking that since the big Anne Rice was on the cover, it would be -- yanno, horror. Not . . . that.

Yikes. :D

shakeysix
10-07-2007, 05:36 AM
yes, i do. but never from bookstores. pretty much never from libraries. but i do have this thing about books that are abused or neglected. you know--like books that are sitting in the dusty, moth eaten bookshelves of a ...lets say high school storage room. or the locked closet just off the auditorium. you know. where you find things like the very Voyages In English textbook that you so enjoyed in third grade. the one with "October Gave A Party" in 5 parts for choral reading? the one with all the cute illustrations of transitive and intransitive verbs?

or the old El Camino Real Spanish textbooks. they don't make them like that anymore. or say Penrod and Sam. i mean, for crissakes, who reads Tarkington anymore but me? Pepita Jimenez in Valera's own Spanish? No one is going to read that. It will just get tossed out by some ignorant janitor in the year 2010.

now I do have some finesse. i don't just waltz up and swipe the thing. first the book has to signal to me that it is in distress. that is what Pepita did just last week. i was looking for some map transfers in the storage room when she whispered "SSSt Sra. Smith! They locked me up here in 1965. I, a beautiful and wealthy young widow, have been sitting here in dust and twilight for 43 years. I, who was always your amiga querida. Por favor, ayudame." I mean that isn't so nuts, is it guys? ...guys?

desertcomet
10-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Does downloading manga scantilations count? If so I might be worse than badducky. I only have one friend who really has any books worth reading and she makes sure that she gets them back.

badducky
10-07-2007, 06:15 AM
One of my friends ran off with my original ARC Galley Proofs.

The proofs are now in Boulder.

Fortunately, I was done with them at the time.

badducky
10-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Hey, here's an interesting question to add to the discussion (thank you Little Penguin for half a bottle of your inspiring White Shiraz, by the way, for assisting me in this thought)

Do you consider it theft to sit in a bookstore and read an entire book without purchasing it?

I can think of three masterpieces I read that way which I still haven't bought.

Waiting for the BArbarians by Coetzee

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Leguin

Sound of Waves by the Japanese Author that committed seppuku... Mishima? What was his name...

benbradley
10-07-2007, 07:34 AM
I really should stay outta this thread...I feel like I'm biting on a hook...

Hey, here's an interesting question to add to the discussion (thank you Little Penguin for half a bottle of your inspiring White Shiraz, by the way, for assisting me in this thought)

Do you consider it theft to sit in a bookstore and read an entire book without purchasing it?
Okay, here's your controversial answer: No - no more than reading the book while sitting in the library. For the last decade the big chain bookstores have just about been encouraging that sort of thing, with their seating and lounge chairs and such. Only recently have we had an AW thread on a story that they're getting rid of such things.

What I've done that perhaps they really should stop (try, somehow, I have no clue how they would stop this) is something else I've done, browse through some volumes, especially $60 technical titles, then I write down the titles and authors of the ones I want, then go home and order a new or used copy of each through http://bookfinder.com at half or less than the brick-and-mortar bookstore price.

I can think of three masterpieces I read that way which I still haven't bought.

Waiting for the BArbarians by Coetzee

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula Leguin

Sound of Waves by the Japanese Author that committed seppuku... Mishima? What was his name...

Dunno if i'd call it a masterpiece, but when it came out I read through much of Stephen Wolfram's "A New Kind of Science" (http://www.wolframscience.com/) (about 1,100 pages) over several visits to a Border's, sitting on the floor in the (rather too small) science section. I found it "interesting but not ground-shaking" which is much nicer than many of the reviews.

nerds
10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Wow. I would never, have never stolen a book under any circumstance.

I actually once dated a guy about a million years ago who took great pride in nicking a new paperback once a week from the local pharmacy. It bothered me enough that it contributed to our split.

Hadn't thought of that in years till just now. Blech.

Nymtoc
10-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Stop me before I become moralistic. :Lecture:

nerds
10-07-2007, 11:15 PM
Stop me before I become moralistic. :Lecture:

Not moralistic at all. This was a person who would have himself taken great umbrage at not getting paid for his own work, which happened to also involve craftsmanship and time spent. It made no sense that he would not mind doing that to other people. He was not a rational person generally and this was merely one part of that. It had to do with irrationality, not morality.

That's what bothers me about stealing books; for me, and only imo, it's comparable to lifting somebody's painting off the wall and running away with it, or skipping out on a dinner tab, or whatever the thing is. That's all. No moralism going on.

shakeysix
10-08-2007, 12:12 AM
not if the book asks you to rescue it.--s6

Forbidden Snowflake
10-08-2007, 12:53 AM
I have books at home that I know don't belong to me but to friends that I haven't seen in years and will never see again, that's bad.

But I never actually consciously stole one.

Birol
10-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Dino, I'm giving you this thread. Hope that's okay.

badducky
10-08-2007, 01:27 AM
My thread was STOLEN!

Silver King
10-08-2007, 02:58 AM
Dino, I'm giving you this thread. Hope that's okay.
Thanks. It'll be in good hands here. :)

Okay, back to the confessional, you dastardly book thieves!

shakeysix
10-08-2007, 03:07 AM
where am i? hope i wasn't out of my head making false confessions to nefarious crimes again!--s6

Birol
10-08-2007, 03:09 AM
*Makes a note. Hands it to Dino.*

badducky
10-08-2007, 03:37 AM
Also, whichever one of youse guys ran off with "Lives of the Monster Dogs" by Kirsten Bakkis, give it back. Now it's rare and out of print!

badducky
10-08-2007, 03:56 AM
Come on guys, fess up. ScribD had a bunch of stuff they shouldn't a had up there.
Did you read any of that pirated stuff?

shakeysix
11-13-2007, 08:42 AM
this is not my crime but my squeaky clean, churchy sister's crime. she was straightening a bookshelf in her new classroom and came across a beat up copy of "where the wild things are." with maurice sendak's signature, in ink, on the flyleaf. dated august of 1970. now a couple of weeks ago i was telling her about this thread. she was adamant. said i was a book pirate and that i, and all my sticky fingered little pals were going to the hot place. so guess what she did w/ the maurice sendak book-- yup. she pocketed it. she did go to a bookstore and buy a brand new copy for her class but i say it is still stealing--and i should know!--s6

maxmordon
11-13-2007, 08:45 AM
None!, Usually the bookstores are the one who robs me

RLB
11-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Zero. I'm terrified of the Library Police.

I almost took a job with these guys a couple of years ago.

Seriously, it was a company that libraries hired to track down missing books and unpaid fines. Kinda like a literary collection agency (though my position would have dealt with the libraries, not the people being collected from).

But somebody else offered me more money so I didn't get to do battle with the fine-dodgers and book-thieves.

Oh, and I routinely steal books from my parents' house. Usually it's more of a swap though.

mscelina
11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Interesting that this came up. A friend of mine told me a story last week about a friend of his (so this is all hearsay BUT) who is in a little trouble. Apparently, this enterprising fellow has been going to numerous libraries around the state and swiping books from the donate a book bin--then selling them on e-bay.

Not profitable you think?

WRONG.

When the feds busted him, he had FOUR STORAGE UNITS full of books. According to ebay and Paypal, he's made hundreds of thousands of dollars and (are you ready for this? this is the clincher) the only reason he was caught was because his ex ratted him out.

Even freakier? They can't peg him for it: no money, no serial numbers to trace, nothing. There's nothing to say that he didn't buy the books at yard sales or flea markets (places that normally do not give receipts) so it looks like the charges might be dropped. All they found in his apartment was 27k--and that's it.

In answer to the OP, on the other hand, I don't steal books. I sell rare books (legitimately, thank you! I have the receipts for everything) and between that and being a writer I think I'd rather have my hands broken than to swipe a book. When I was in NYC doing a show, I would go to the public library and read books while I was there, but that's about it.

WerenCole
11-13-2007, 09:27 AM
You mean books don't grow on shelves. . . in stores. . . waiting to be plucked and brought home?

What kind of a world is this?!