Plane Exploding in Mid-Air

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm playing with an idea that requires a plane to explode in mid-air because of a bomb (pre 9/11 time frame).

My question, since I'm extremely science challenged: How big of a debris field would such an explosion leave behind?

I'm not sure if the forward motion of the jet would propel some of it still forward, or if the force of the explosion would just scatter it to the four winds or a combination of both or something entirely different.

Thanks for any help! It's muchly appreciated.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on how high it was, how much explosive was used.
If I recall correctly an Air India plane was brought down over the Atlantic by explosive hidden in a portable music centre.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. We'll see where the idea takes me.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
What everyone said.

Google
airplane crash 'debris pattern"

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
When Pan Am flight 103 exploded over Locherbie, Scotland debris was scattered over 845 square miles. More info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_Flight_103

I didn't see this in the above article, but the bomb was timed so that it would explode while the plane was over the ocean. The flight was delayed to the point that the bomb exploded while the plane was still over land, and this greatly helped the investigation.

By contrast, there's TWA 800 which exploded over the ocean, though closer to the ground and not far from land, shortly after takeoff (the explosion was witnessed by people on Long Island). From the above link, it's clear that such events have conspiracy theories surrounding them, but this one is infamous for its conspiracy theories, perhaps most notably that it was destroyed (accidentally or intentionally) by a US Navy missile:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_800