Status
Not open for further replies.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm how shall I put this?
My novel has a lot of cussing in it.
Let me frame that so you can get an idea of why:

My novel is set in the music culture. I, myself, know a lot about it and, like a lot of cultures, it's dominated by men. Therefore, the smaller percentage of women in it, for the most part, talk and act like men. Girls can be even a little condescending if you're "too pretty" to be a rocker.
Anyway, that said, I talk a lot like a guy since I've hung out with a lot of them in the music scene. My mc is the same way. What I'm worried about is that agents may be turned off by her use of language, but I wanted to portray the novel as realistically as possibly of how women act in a (punk) music scene (since there aren't too many books with female protagonists who aren't groupies in a music culture).
This is how these girls talk. I know for a fact. Taking out the language and some situations would not be entirely authentic.

Do any of you think that will make it a hard sell?

(I have a good feeling that submitting to red dress ink is out of the question because of this.)

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Have you considered perhaps looking at some different imprints than romance ones? MTV might be a good home for this with a built-in audience that would both understand and appreciate a well-told rocker story. You might also look at Urban Fiction publishers, where the language wouldn't be a concern. But asking the more traditional romance publishers to bend that far could be risky because the readers can be easily offended (just read the incensed letters to the editor in RT every month!) Not all of them, mind you--but enough that a publisher might be cautious about the size of the first print run to see what the reaction will be before throwing their full weight behind it. And that's not always the best thing for the book.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have an agent yet, so i dunno how the process works with publishers, but I'm open to anyone who'll print heh.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe when I'm done with my novel (which probably won't be until at least next spring after polishing) I'll look into entering the Golden Heart.

MTV books is a division of simon and schuster, so it's still the agent thing, but yeah, when I get an agent I'll suggest them.

aliajohnson

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alissa-johnson.com
You can't go wrong with Cathy's advice. She knows what she's talking about. That having been said, Mary Janice Davidson has created at least two heroines who are very, very fond of the "f" word--by my standards anyway. It's my understanding that her books sell quite well. It's possible she already had a loyal fan base when she came out with them, but it's still something to think about. Best of luck!

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
It's good advice, I agree... I just have to wait until an agent is secured.
I've never heard of that author but i'll check her out.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Maybe when I'm done with my novel (which probably won't be until at least next spring after polishing) I'll look into entering the Golden Heart.

MTV books is a division of simon and schuster, so it's still the agent thing, but yeah, when I get an agent I'll suggest them.

Hmm... I'm not sure Barb (Caridad) has an agent. I'll ask her. I thought I remembered she said she queried them directly, but I could be wrong.

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
When I think of romance authors who curse and do it so well, I think of Susan Johnson.

Grab one of her books if ever you get a chance.

She uses the word f***, many many many times in her books, AND speaks frankly about male and female anatomy. Think Tom, Dick, and Harry ;) and Here Kitty kitty!

Bantam publishes her books.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
from the web site:

http://www.simonsays.com/content/feature.cfm?sid=33&feature_id=1627

so, yes, apparently you need an agent. That is, unless you hog tie an editor at a conference!

Speaking of foul language, my SFR has a healthy share of cussing. When I did revisions, I took maybe two of the f-bombs out. I'm curious to see the reaction, quite frankly. If anyone chooses to represent it, that is.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, my narrator uses the f-word a lot, and the c__k word. And it ain't cook... although some people do think that's a dirty word.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
When I think of romance authors who curse and do it so well, I think of Susan Johnson.

Grab one of her books if ever you get a chance.

She uses the word f***, many many many times in her books, AND speaks frankly about male and female anatomy. Think Tom, Dick, and Harry ;) and Here Kitty kitty!

Bantam publishes her books.

thanks, I'll check it out.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
from the web site:

http://www.simonsays.com/content/feature.cfm?sid=33&feature_id=1627

so, yes, apparently you need an agent. That is, unless you hog tie an editor at a conference!

Speaking of foul language, my SFR has a healthy share of cussing. When I did revisions, I took maybe two of the f-bombs out. I'm curious to see the reaction, quite frankly. If anyone chooses to represent it, that is.
Of course you could always try a small press if you can't find an agent who's not afraid of the subject matter. Sometimes they're a little more relaxed about that sort of stuff.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I'm not sure Barb (Caridad) has an agent. I'll ask her. I thought I remembered she said she queried them directly, but I could be wrong.

I dunno how recently MTV books was bought by S&S but they used to accept unsolicited queries. This may have been years ago.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, my narrator uses the f-word a lot, and the c__k word. And it ain't cook... although some people do think that's a dirty word.

I have a secondary character who uses the c__k word to great effect in his very first line of dialogue, heh heh! He's actually the worst offender, as it were, when it comes to expletives. But he provides some comedic relief, so i'm really rilly rillly hoping a publisher wouldn't make me cut it. I probably should explore this issue before I sign any contracts. It's probably one of my favorite lines!

Sunkissed27f

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if the publishers that publish a wide range of genres, say westerns, romances, war type books are a good choice to look up.

I mean a western ain't a western with out some foul mouthed "bad guy."

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
I have a secondary character who uses the c__k word to great effect in his very first line of dialogue, heh heh! He's actually the worst offender, as it were, when it comes to expletives. But he provides some comedic relief, so i'm really rilly rillly hoping a publisher wouldn't make me cut it. I probably should explore this issue before I sign any contracts. It's probably one of my favorite lines!

Well, I would be able to compromise on some of the random cussing in my novel (like, when a person just says a cuss word in a normal conversation) but certain instances are non-negotiable. To me it would really take away from the reality of how women are forced to kind of strip away their feminine qualities when they are in a male-dominated culture. I should probably even say those exact words.
I'm not saying that girls have to wear corsets and never speak unless spoken to... I'm just saying that women are made fun of for having more feminine stereotyped qualities in that enviornment.

I know I sound like a feminist, that's because I am one. I fell into the "don't be a girl" idea because of the music culture when I was younger. I don't really go to shows anymore, though, because it all kind of got old.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

Caridad Ferrar is repped by Caren Johnson (who also reps my CP Anna J Evans, which is why I know that off the top of my head. :) )

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Of course you could always try a small press if you can't find an agent who's not afraid of the subject matter. Sometimes they're a little more relaxed about that sort of stuff.

Yeah. If I can't get an agent, I'm shopping this baby to publishers.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the publishers that publish a wide range of genres, say westerns, romances, war type books are a good choice to look up.

I mean a western ain't a western with out some foul mouthed "bad guy."

One can hope.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I would be able to compromise on some of the random cussing in my novel (like, when a person just says a cuss word in a normal conversation) but certain instances are non-negotiable.

I agree. You don't want to compromise the integrity of the characters.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
Caridad Ferrar is repped by Caren Johnson (who also reps my CP Anna J Evans, which is why I know that off the top of my head. :) )

I looked her up and she actually represents an author who writes stories that are centered around the punk music culture, just like mine. I'll have to keep her in my agents file.

Status
Not open for further replies.