Warning! Mine Field Ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
I need some advice. A couple of days ago I tripped over a copy of a short story that I wrote several years ago. It will need a rewrite or three before it's publishable, but that's not my concern. The piece is a vinette (probably spelled that wrong, but my spelling brain isn't turned on right now) of a sexual attack against a six year old girl from the victim's perspective. One professional writer told me it was like slap across the face, and I think its power could help
bring home the issue, but I wonder if there is market for something this raw and controversial.

Thoughts?
Chacounne

Last edited:

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Personally I'd never shy away from something just because the subject matter's sensitive. I can think of at least one (very successful) book written from a similar perspective, so the only question IMO would be: is it any good? If the answer's yes, do it.
I wouldn't have the first clue about where to place it, though.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Child abuse stories are very touchy. And plenty out there. It's not to say yours have no merit -- I think every story deserves to be told. But what makes yours better than the others, and not just another catharsis? Telling another sexual abuse of a child is probably only going to make people feel very uncomfortable, instead of "educating them" (most people already know how horrific it is). The fact that it's a vignette instead of a real story might also limit your marketability. It might be more difficult to find a market for raw and controversial material to begin with. Some literary mags might take it. Anyway, good luck!

Zoe King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zoeking.com
I think also, to some extent, it's a subject that has been hijacked in recent years, with the result that many editors, when they publish submission guidelines, will openly state that they're not open to stories on the subject. (That's the shame for genuine victims of course, who might wish to explore the issues via fiction.)

Zoe

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the Input

Thanks for helping me to clarify my thoughts. I've done some thinking about uniqueness, hijacking, and not flinching from a difficult subject, and I think I'll
continue to use it as a writing excercise, rather than for publication. I appreciate all of your valuable input. Just another reason I love the Absolute Write Water Cooler :)

Chacounne

Status
Not open for further replies.