Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I just did research on spell check for vBulletin, and it really isn't a feature here. Weird, considering all the other great features they have!

There are hacks I can install, but it requires a lot of coding and I'm scared. (CC: are you more confident about this stuff than I am?)

Meantime, I've found a solution for anyone who's using Internet Explorer:
http://www.iespell.com/

That's a free spell check that'll work in Internet Explorer on any message boards, chat rooms, etc.

(I use Netscape, so no good for me. Others, let me know if you like it!)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Taht jsut mens w e ned to tpye m ore carfully.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
MAC/SAFARI Spell checker

For Mac/Safari users: There is a built in spell checker! To turn it on: double-click a word, any word, then, holding down the CONTROL (ctrl) key, click on the word; a little menu appears, halfway down is "SPELLING," when you mouse over it, you can choose to turn on or off CHECK SPELLING AS YOU TYPE.

And there you go...

Anysia

Registered
Reaction score
It's better to have a spell check in your browser or computer that you can customize anyway. I don't want forums telling me that my spelling is wrong because it's not whichever English has been chosen by a board as right.

I mean British/Canadian/American/Australian etc. variations (not variations by people who can't spell in any version of English).
:e2writer:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I prefer the spellcheck in my brain. Besides, as has already been mentioned, there's proper English :)D), American English, Canadian, NZ...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You can add a Google tool bar with a terrific spellcheck feature for Mozilla or Internet Explorer.

And no, all writers aren't flawless spellers. This can be due to speed or just an affinity for phonetics that doesn't jive with The-Way-Things-Are-Whether-They-Make-Sense-Or-Not.

scrivener

sans souci
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes the computer is too much trouble. I use a dictionary. Has anyone else tried one?:)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tough to carry my 6 pound Oxford which is the size of a cereal box around with me everywhere I go. ;)

Having spell check available to you in your software is convenient. But as noted, don't rely on it for everything.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Who needs spellcheck!:Shrug:

I cdnuolt blviee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter
by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and Iawlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe I could read that at almost normal speed. Wierd!

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
But aren't we writers? Shouldn't we be good at spelling already?
I never realized what a poor speller I was until I got into writing my first novel (and an even worse beginning typist)...

Now, four novels later, I'm a great spellor, and a cometant typist, to!

wayndom

Registered
Reaction score
Tough to carry my 6 pound Oxford which is the size of a cereal box around with me everywhere I go. ;)

Having spell check available to you in your software is convenient. But as noted, don't rely on it for everything.

I have a Merriam-Webster Collegiate dictionary/thesaurus on my hard drive, and it's great! Actual definitions, pronunciation, word origin info, everything you get from a paper dictionary (except pictures), including the ability to browse through the words (great for when you're not sure of the spelling of the word you're looking for).

Also, from the time I click on its icon to the time I've typed in my word (and the definition comes up), is way less than the time to get up, take my dictionary off the shelf, and leaf through the pages till I find the word.

I think it cost around $10. More than worth every penny...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer the spellcheck in my brain.
What a coincidence, I have one in MY brain too! Furthermore, it's context sensitive, and knows something about grammar and punctuation and stuff. It's far from perfect, but overall I like it a lot better than the stupid computer-based spell checkers, and even those "grammar checkers" aren't so smart.
The tough part was the installation. The worst part was I had to tolerate, of all things, English teachers!
Besides, as has already been mentioned, there's proper English :)D), American English, Canadian, NZ...
Your English teacher was Mz. Proper, too?
I have a Merriam-Webster Collegiate dictionary/thesaurus on my hard drive, and it's great! Actual definitions, pronunciation, word origin info, everything you get from a paper dictionary (except pictures), including the ability to browse through the words (great for when you're not sure of the spelling of the word you're looking for).
That's a nice feature I don't recall seeing on any online dictionaries (m-2.com, dictionary.com). But if I can't spell a word, m-w.com does gives some likely suggestions. Sometimes I just want to BROWSE words, and I don't know what "the next word" in the online dictionary is.
Also, from the time I click on its icon to the time I've typed in my word (and the definition comes up), is way less than the time to get up, take my dictionary off the shelf, and leaf through the pages till I find the word.

I think it cost around $10. More than worth every penny...
I get a good response time from m-w.com, especially with it in my drop-down menu of search engines in Firefox. But I just might PAY for a browse feature.

Hmm, I just thought of registering a certain domain name ... can you believe this, it's already taken??? Maybe he won't renew it before November and I can swipe it... (C&C warning)

Registrant:
Brian Underwood
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ICANTSPELLWORTHASHIT.COM
Created on: 01-Nov-05
Expires on: 01-Nov-07
Last Updated on: 01-Nov-05

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I've been so engrossed in Harry Potter I thought this thread was about having a place to leave our spells while we write.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I just did research on spell check for vBulletin, and it really isn't a feature here. Weird, considering all the other great features they have!

There are hacks I can install, but it requires a lot of coding and I'm scared. (CC: are you more confident about this stuff than I am?)

Meantime, I've found a solution for anyone who's using Internet Explorer:
http://www.iespell.com/

That's a free spell check that'll work in Internet Explorer on any message boards, chat rooms, etc.

(I use Netscape, so no good for me. Others, let me know if you like it!)

I have the newest Microsoft Office -- it has a feature that spell checks anything you type into any field in any browser.

It's quite handy.

dabsinfiction

Registered
Reaction score
Spell check is nice, but it doesn't always catch all the errors. For instance, if you're talking about going to a Legal Counsel, you might spell it:

Legal Council. Although the spelling is correct, the term is not. Also, if anyone is really hung up on spelling (I try to spell properly, too) you can always write your comments out in MS-Word and paste it in the AWC message box. Once again, spelling and term usage are two difference things.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I have Mozilla Firefox and had read through this before wondering how I could get a spell check. Now I find out that all I need to do is right click on any word I'm having a problem with.

Status
Not open for further replies.