PDA

View Full Version : Spell check

JennaGlatzer
02-14-2005, 01:41 PM
I just did research on spell check for vBulletin, and it really isn't a feature here. Weird, considering all the other great features they have!

There are hacks I can install, but it requires a lot of coding and I'm scared. (CC: are you more confident about this stuff than I am?)

Meantime, I've found a solution for anyone who's using Internet Explorer:
http://www.iespell.com/

That's a free spell check that'll work in Internet Explorer on any message boards, chat rooms, etc.

(I use Netscape, so no good for me. Others, let me know if you like it!)

Kudra
02-14-2005, 01:57 PM
I use Mozilla Firefox, so no good for me, either. :(

CaoPaux
02-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Taht jsut mens w e ned to tpye m ore carfully.

biotales
02-14-2005, 09:22 PM
I have to spell correctly while I am on this board.... well who came up with that
!@#$%$%$#%^%^%$#$%^$#$^& rule....
I want the name...

Ziljon
06-16-2007, 05:39 AM
For Mac/Safari users: There is a built in spell checker! To turn it on: double-click a word, any word, then, holding down the CONTROL (ctrl) key, click on the word; a little menu appears, halfway down is "SPELLING," when you mouse over it, you can choose to turn on or off CHECK SPELLING AS YOU TYPE.

And there you go...

Medievalist
06-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Firefox also has built in Spell check.

Rolling Thunder
06-16-2007, 07:30 AM

And it has a great dictionary add-on. If you come across a new word you can highlight it and get an instant definition.

Mandy-Jane
06-16-2007, 03:52 PM
But aren't we writers? Shouldn't we be good at spelling already?

Anysia
06-16-2007, 11:19 PM
It's better to have a spell check in your browser or computer that you can customize anyway. I don't want forums telling me that my spelling is wrong because it's not whichever English has been chosen by a board as right.

I mean British/Canadian/American/Australian etc. variations (not variations by people who can't spell in any version of English).
:e2writer:

Dancre
06-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Jenna, your baby is sooooo cute!!! Congrats, dear. Getting any sleep? hehe.

kim

talkwrite
06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
www.iespell.com
Free easy down load. Then it's on your tools for any on line writing.

scarletpeaches
06-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I prefer the spellcheck in my brain. Besides, as has already been mentioned, there's proper English (:D), American English, Canadian, NZ...

Perks
06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
You can add a Google tool bar with a terrific spellcheck feature for Mozilla or Internet Explorer.

And no, all writers aren't flawless spellers. This can be due to speed or just an affinity for phonetics that doesn't jive with The-Way-Things-Are-Whether-They-Make-Sense-Or-Not.

scrivener
06-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Sometimes the computer is too much trouble. I use a dictionary. Has anyone else tried one?:)

ChunkyC
06-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Tough to carry my 6 pound Oxford which is the size of a cereal box around with me everywhere I go. ;)

Having spell check available to you in your software is convenient. But as noted, don't rely on it for everything.

auntybug
06-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Who needs spellcheck!:Shrug:

I cdnuolt blviee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at
Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit
pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter
by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and Iawlyas thought
slpeling was ipmorantt.

Kadea
06-29-2007, 10:01 AM
I can't believe I could read that at almost normal speed. Wierd!

wayndom
07-28-2007, 05:10 AM
I never realized what a poor speller I was until I got into writing my first novel (and an even worse beginning typist)...

Now, four novels later, I'm a great spellor, and a cometant typist, to!

wayndom
07-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Tough to carry my 6 pound Oxford which is the size of a cereal box around with me everywhere I go. ;)

Having spell check available to you in your software is convenient. But as noted, don't rely on it for everything.

I have a Merriam-Webster Collegiate dictionary/thesaurus on my hard drive, and it's great! Actual definitions, pronunciation, word origin info, everything you get from a paper dictionary (except pictures), including the ability to browse through the words (great for when you're not sure of the spelling of the word you're looking for).

Also, from the time I click on its icon to the time I've typed in my word (and the definition comes up), is way less than the time to get up, take my dictionary off the shelf, and leaf through the pages till I find the word.

I think it cost around $10. More than worth every penny...

benbradley
07-28-2007, 07:12 AM
I prefer the spellcheck in my brain.
What a coincidence, I have one in MY brain too! Furthermore, it's context sensitive, and knows something about grammar and punctuation and stuff. It's far from perfect, but overall I like it a lot better than the stupid computer-based spell checkers, and even those "grammar checkers" aren't so smart.
The tough part was the installation. The worst part was I had to tolerate, of all things, English teachers!

Besides, as has already been mentioned, there's proper English (:D), American English, Canadian, NZ...
Your English teacher was Mz. Proper, too?

I have a Merriam-Webster Collegiate dictionary/thesaurus on my hard drive, and it's great! Actual definitions, pronunciation, word origin info, everything you get from a paper dictionary (except pictures), including the ability to browse through the words (great for when you're not sure of the spelling of the word you're looking for).
That's a nice feature I don't recall seeing on any online dictionaries (m-2.com, dictionary.com). But if I can't spell a word, m-w.com does gives some likely suggestions. Sometimes I just want to BROWSE words, and I don't know what "the next word" in the online dictionary is.

Also, from the time I click on its icon to the time I've typed in my word (and the definition comes up), is way less than the time to get up, take my dictionary off the shelf, and leaf through the pages till I find the word.

I think it cost around $10. More than worth every penny...
I get a good response time from m-w.com, especially with it in my drop-down menu of search engines in Firefox. But I just might PAY for a browse feature.

Hmm, I just thought of registering a certain domain name ... can you believe this, it's already taken??? Maybe he won't renew it before November and I can swipe it... (C&C warning)

Registrant:
Brian Underwood
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: ICANTSPELLWORTHASHIT.COM
Created on: 01-Nov-05
Expires on: 01-Nov-07
Last Updated on: 01-Nov-05

dclary
07-31-2007, 02:56 AM
I've been so engrossed in Harry Potter I thought this thread was about having a place to leave our spells while we write.

Bartholomew
07-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I just did research on spell check for vBulletin, and it really isn't a feature here. Weird, considering all the other great features they have!

There are hacks I can install, but it requires a lot of coding and I'm scared. (CC: are you more confident about this stuff than I am?)

Meantime, I've found a solution for anyone who's using Internet Explorer:
http://www.iespell.com/

That's a free spell check that'll work in Internet Explorer on any message boards, chat rooms, etc.

(I use Netscape, so no good for me. Others, let me know if you like it!)

I have the newest Microsoft Office -- it has a feature that spell checks anything you type into any field in any browser.

It's quite handy.

dabsinfiction
08-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Spell check is nice, but it doesn't always catch all the errors. For instance, if you're talking about going to a Legal Counsel, you might spell it:

Legal Council. Although the spelling is correct, the term is not. Also, if anyone is really hung up on spelling (I try to spell properly, too) you can always write your comments out in MS-Word and paste it in the AWC message box. Once again, spelling and term usage are two difference things.

Kerr
10-31-2007, 06:06 AM
I have Mozilla Firefox and had read through this before wondering how I could get a spell check. Now I find out that all I need to do is right click on any word I'm having a problem with.

PleaseMay
03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Good ol' PC platform.

Daehota
03-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I use either Firefox or Explorer. I'm going to check out your suggestion, and if it's a winner I'll let y'all know.

Dae

wrdsmth
03-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Who needs spellcheck!:Shrug:

I cdnuolt blviee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and Iawlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.
This is a fun little exercise but it brings up two very interesting facts.
FACT 1: This doesn't work unless you are reasonably literate.
FACT 2: This is the very reason why proofreading is such a tricky issue; your brain tends to correct misspellings and so your eyes tend to gloss over and miss the errors.

Matera the Mad
03-21-2008, 04:26 AM
I cna raed ti, btu I'd rtaher nto.

I am cursed with a phenomenal "wetware" spellchecker. :(

Daehota
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Sometimes the computer is too much trouble. I use a dictionary. Has anyone else tried one?:)

I thought i was the only person left in the world who had hard copies of a thesaurus and a dictionary!

giusti
03-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Hard copy? Of books? What're those? All I've got in my house is a computer and the kitchen sink! ;)

-giusti

Matera the Mad
03-23-2008, 06:58 AM
Wot, no bathroom?

robertmblevins
03-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I had Greg the AB Techie Guy from Microsoft check out the ie spellcheck link. He says this:

'See if you can obtain this program in actual tested software in a store. Downloading from the internet and using it could cause problems with other Windows-based applications ... '

Well...he works at Microsoft. You know how they are.

Gurdyman
04-04-2008, 07:57 PM

I have that and use it a lot, whether I want to or not. The problem is, it doesn't have enough words and I often overrun it.

Yes, we should, Mandy-Jane. In eighth grade, I was pretty good at it. I could go maybe fifteen rounds toe-to-toe with Julieann after we beat everyone else in the school. She always won, eventually. Now, after outrunning the neighbors for 61 years, I am losing my edge.

I like the way Microsoft Quickshelf works. It stays resident on the taskbar. All you need to do is highlight a word and click the icon and it brings up the dictionary entry for that word. The problem is, it stays on the CD. So when you click the icon, the CD drive has to spin up for a search. A paper dictionary is nearly as fast.

Another problem: the Quickshelf CD has a small encyclopedia, a thesaurus, an atlas, and a ton of photos and audio pronunciation files, all of which I don't need and all of which take up room on the disk.

I am looking for a large dictionary that can be installed on a hard drive and operates like Quickshelf. Anybody seen one?

Gurdyman>_

LloydBrown
04-04-2008, 09:22 PM
C-H-E-C-K.

All these posts, and I'm the first to give in to the temptation? You guys are so much stronger than me.